User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

get on as a Company driver with a good company you can make more than $1k a week without the Headaches.

$1k a week as an O/O is spinning your wheels
Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Rookie
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

why were you on your trainers truck for 5 months? they told me a rookie with a cdl has to spend 60000 miles on a truck then he gets A seat status. it would seem a busy company like prime a student and trainer could turn twenty thousand a month. finishing the training period in three months.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch
it would seem a busy company like prime a student and trainer could turn twenty thousand a month. finishing the training period in three months.

not trying to knock any ones opinion here but if your a trainee and you and your trainer are doing 20 thousand a month then you as the trainee are not getting trained very good. the trainer should be in the passenger side not in the bunk. this is where most rookies get them selves in a pickle out there because of these type of training practices.

OK sorry for the high-jack back to original topic.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieFL
I appreciate you all trying to warn me off Prime's lease. I know most folks that post on most boards don't like Prime. I respectfully disagree.
See ya' in the poorhouse!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:51 AM
Rookie

back to the original topic :a prime rookie contemplating a prime lease deal. if you go back to scottie post titled prime stevens or ffe that is the question dated feb 10 and 11. scottie writes i would be a fool to sign a lease without one full year under my belt and even after a year i would probably not do it '' i don't want to get caught in that trap''. so what happened beetween feb. an now? did they serve you some cool aid in that prime cafeteria.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'll take all I can get!
Then you won't mind a piece of it from me.

Quote:
And it's not that I have my mind made up. I'm open to anything that will make me the most money. I've come full circle, actually.
In my minds eye, thats only a perception.

Quote:
At first, I thought driving company was the way to go. Then I saw how little CFI company drivers made compared to good Prime lease drivers. I changed my mind.
Thats an interesting statement....especially when you consider its not very accurate. "You saw how little CFI company drivers made compared to good Prime Lease drivers"(?)

Lets see now.... I made over $53,000 last year, and took alot more time off than you will even hope to take off, or any "good Prime Lease driver" ever hopes to take off, and still clear as much as I do.

Considering that the "average CFI company driver" made over $50K last year, with the highest making over $82K....and nary a one of us "lowly company drivers" had to pay the expenses you will be saddled with, many of which you are not yet aware of.

What you have seen are the settlement sheets that are the product of an O/O who is benefitting from your labors....hardly a realistic view to compare to a solo driver.

Has he shown you his 1040's? Probably not. Did he explain to you the 15.2% of your taxable income that you have to pay as "self-employment tax"? Probably not. Did he explain to you how expensive it is for you to buy health insurance for yourself and family. How about disability insurance?

To put it in a "nutshell"....you have been shown "precisely" what they want you to see...thats all.

I think you have talked yourself into trying to climb a very slippery slope with your hands tied and wearing greased flip-flops.

Scottie, I...like many others here have been at this a long time. I would not sign a lease deal on a death bet. I just wish you could get off the mothership long enough that you could actually talk to some of the people who went before you. I have talked to guys and gals who went the route you are considering.....and got out of it as quick as they could, because despite their best efforts....bankruptcy was looming in their future. And they were very "experienced drivers", not neophytes.

Yes, I have known a couple of guys who made some money there. They were single, and never went home. I repeat: Never went home, and never took time off. They were true "Dwellers" in its full meaning and context.

Personally....considering your actual "newness" to this industry, and lack of experience.... I think you are making a tragic mistake. I truly hope you have the lease read by a lawyer who knows truck leases, and that you get with an accountant who understands trucking ledgers, and then think about it real hard before you throw yourself on that sword.

But, all in all.....I do wish you the best of luck...you're going to need it.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I briefly drove as as company driver (with CFI) before I came to Prime. Driving as a company driver doesn't seem to pay as good to me.
Not to bash you, but that statement is, well...a tad inaccurate. You were a "student driver"...and had problems. So, the depth and breadth of your knowledge on the subject is rather narrow and circumspect. Be careful which path you wander down....some have serious pitfalls and traps.

Just to give you an example....my "student" who is with me right this moment...made over $1700.00 last pay period, thats over $850 a week, and you are "crowing over the possibility of making $1000 a week at Prime"?

Again, good luck....I have a feeling you are going to need it.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-18-2006, 05:59 PM

Hey, Sky, it's good to hear from you! I went to CFI as my first company largely because of your advice and I really appreciate and thank you for it. You've helped me a lot. CFI paid me well as a student driver, just like Prime has.

I wish it would've worked out at CFI for me. I was too green for CFI and my CFI finisher was too green to help me. CFI's a great company. But things have a way of working out for the best, if you follow your heart and let them.

And yes, my opinions have changed since my earlier posts. They may change again. Just like the rest of you, I'm gonna make my own decisions, for better or worse. And I promise to report back here and let you know what happens.

I want to point out that the title of my post also asks for info about Gainey. I don't mind folks bashing Prime, but it would be nice to get some info about Gainey, too, good or bad.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Board Icon

We're not Bashing Prime-We're bashing Leasing
Old 09-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
We're not Bashing Prime-We're bashing Leasing
Thats it in a nutshell, plain simple and direct.