User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some more advice

1st thanks for the advice on thoe different companies but new peoblem....
Took my DOT physical & drug test yesterday cuz I got hired by Roadway as a dock/city driver & orientation is Wednesday,2 questions:
1.Id like to know more info about Roadway how there causals work as regards city drivers & dockworkers & how long before I can get a bid or extra board & do I need to worry about being laidoff?
2.My wifes father wanted me to work for a grocery outfit but I would have got hired w/benefits & ok starting rate but I declined a interview because of Roadways rep,so how do I reason to my wife that I accepted a job as a casual w/no benefits & declined a steady job(not on call)
w/benefits?Please Help!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Need some more advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCohen1978
1st thanks for the advice on thoe different companies but new peoblem....
Took my DOT physical & drug test yesterday cuz I got hired by Roadway as a dock/city driver & orientation is Wednesday,2 questions:
1.Id like to know more info about Roadway how there causals work as regards city drivers & dockworkers & how long before I can get a bid or extra board & do I need to worry about being laidoff?
I don't think you can actually be "laid off". You're not a full time employee.
You work when they want/need you. How many hours you get will be dependent on their needs.

Quote:
2.My wifes father wanted me to work for a grocery outfit but I would have got hired w/benefits & ok starting rate but I declined a interview because of Roadways rep,so how do I reason to my wife that I accepted a job as a casual w/no benefits & declined a steady job(not on call)
Darn good question. Not one I would want to have to answer.....especially if you don't get called in much. Maybe wearing a suit of armor would be the right uniform for the job.

Don't get me wrong...working for Roadway or Yellow can be very good, but its the "casual thing" that is indefinite and with no benefits like health insurance...that can make life really rough...especially if you have kids.
Can't help you much...this is one of those things where you have to decide whats best for you and your family....and then ride the storm out if there is one to be. I know that I would have at least done the interview with the other company to see what they offered.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

2. Tell your wife that you are looking at the long term. Oncce you work your way up to full time with Roadway you will have pay and bennies that are far better than anything the grocery warehouse can come up with.

1. I really do not know about Roadway, but in many union or union style work places any employee can bid on any job at any time and it goes to the most senior person. As far as how much work you can expect it all boils down to how busy they are and how things like vacations, sick time, etc runs. A good outbreak of flu this time of year would have you more hours than you would want. :wink: :wink:
Old 09-18-2006, 10:26 PM
Board Regular
Default Roadway and being a "casual"...

Casuals are used to handle "extra work", such as during busy freight periods, Vacation seasons etc. They can only be used when all full time bid drivers are working/un-available. You will live by the phone, never guaranteed any hours. Some weeks you will max out your hours, some weeks you will be lucky to work one day. This does NOT go on forever though. After you reach so many hours worked (and I forget the number in the NMFA) you will be placed on the extra board. After MORE time and building more seniority, you may be eligible for a bid. It does take a long time. I despised being a casual and think they should abolish the whole casual system. You can't have a much of a life living by a phone. (Miss three call in's and you are DONE BTW....)Roadway doesn't tell you that. Before UPS and another gig I did the casual/line haul/on call slave labor thing@Roadway. After NOT running me ALL week, rain pouring down, foggier than hell, the phone rings@3AM. Of course, it's Roadway/line haul. "Pack your crap" You're doing a Northwest sleeper wheel"....Nah...I just quietly hung up on them and never went back. Me, I would of taken the grocery job...Oh, and until you are "on the board" (full-time regular employee) you will not get any benefits and if they don't need you, instead of laying you off, they simply DON'T CALL YOU.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Default benefits

I don't know where you are, but in new england, all your hours as a casual earn you benefits and pension time..
Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Board Regular

Western Conference. It's still too much like the "bad old days"....Jimmy Jr. didn't do squat for casuals here. He did try and eliminate the casual system and found once he couldn't do it out West, he hung them out to dry. Yellow hires off the casual board full time after 90 days. They treat their casuals much better (5 hour window for call out etc..)