User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 05:16 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I See Top 5 Lists Of Worst Companies, What About The BEST?

Drivers, I have for a number of years wanted to get out of the office environment and into a truck as a Professional Driver. I am 49 years old, not a spring chicken but with alot of tread left to burn yet, and don't really know anyone to talk to about companies or training...etc...

I have a new family, my Ex walked out on me after 22 yrs of marriage and my new wife and family is supportive of me following my desire to become a driver. That said, what are the Top 5 companies that you all would suggest to begin my driving career at? Yes, I need complete CDL training, or I could take it locally in Ohio and then go right into the road training. But how long does it realistically take to get a good dedicated run with say weekly or more than weekly hometime opportunities?

I greatly appreciate any information any of you wish to impart, as I am VERY serious about wanting to hit the open road, but at the same time, make sure my family is taken care of and that they don't forget who I am or what I look like...

Thanks..
Old 09-15-2006, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

As I said in the "worst companies" to work for it all depends on you and your needs.

For example I know many people who had a good experience with Swift and stayed for many years while I hated my 9 months there. I really liked working for Knight and I have seen many posts bashing that company.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
As I said in the "worst companies" to work for it all depends on you and your needs.

For example I know many people who had a good experience with Swift and stayed for many years while I hated my 9 months there. I really liked working for Knight and I have seen many posts bashing that company.
Well put. I've had the same experience with JB.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Rookie

I'm looking to do the same thing as you but I have drove before back in '92, I drove for Schneider and was real happy with the training they had. I did go in with a CDL first though. I have to go back to school and start over but it will be worth it, I've been kicking myself for 14 years for leaving, but I had a baby on the way.
In looking around Columbus I found Southern State Community College, and the do have a training site in town and so far are the least expensive, I have not contacted them yet but thought it might give you some local info. and they do have a web site.

Good luck to ya and maybe I'll run into you somewhere.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordial98
In looking around Columbus I found Southern State Community College
Clark State Community College in Springfield has an excellent course. I just finished their night and weekend course. Mon-Tue. night was class then Sat-Sun all day in the yard. It was eight weeks long. Just some food for thought.
Steve
Old 09-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, as I'm really looking to get my butt rolling on the trucking highway....or back roads....where ever it will roll along....
Old 09-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Board Regular
Default Grain of salt/

I started looking into driving OTR about four months ago and did searches for hours concerning all the aspects I =could possibly imagine.

You will see both extremes as yo explore the industry on the web. Some totally trashing certain companies and some loving them and are pretty much unable to find fault with the same company. So, bear in mind that between the extremes is where the truth probably lies.

Despite the nay sayers concerning Swift, I am choosing to start there. I read the good and bad about them and for my needs I feel like they are for me. Regarding home time, I live near I 80 (about 3 miles actually)and I see Swift going by a lot. I'm also relatively close to I 5 (50 miles?0, So i know I'll be able to get routed through there as I'm very close to two major corridors and there are 3 terminals within about 100 miles of me, so I don't think home time will be a problem. My problem may be not enough of a chance to get out there going cross country and RUNNING HARD.

On the east coast - about 2500 miles east on I 80 is my little brother in Morgantown and my step mom in NC, so on either end, I've got family. So, if I can get runs coast to coast I'll have family time almost every time I hit either coast. (am I rambling?) I also have family in San Diego, Florida, Texas, Missouri and upstate NY.

Swift has pretty good health benefits but I have a full coverage HMO through Blue Shield because of my wife's job, so I'll probably waive my health benefits with them as they are not needed.

If I don't like the OTR thing, I can go 25 miles down to the Oakland docs and find a day cab to get me home every night or find a regional run out of Sacramento ( about 50 miles from me) or find a dedicated I 5 run. So, I have choices.

Bottom lie - know what you need and what the options are for your are and go for it. Nextel/ Sprint has an unlimited anytime plan that they don't advertise for $250/mo - so you can stay in contact with your family while on the road.

What I like about Swift is the fact that they're buying out a lot of the smaller companies and their stock about doubled in the last 5 years.