User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
i was leased to lanstar ligon before everyone was combined. it is agent based. when you lease on they will give you an agent guide and show you how to use the www.landstarbroker.com to get your loads. the rates are already negotiated by the agents. when you call about the freight the agent will give you the rate then. vans paid 67% of 98% or roughly 72% of the load.if you go to the owner operator forums, there is some more information about landstar there. also go to www.landstarbroker.com so you can get an idea of the availability of freight that you want to haul.
ok you say the rate is already negotiated...does that mean when you call to book a load there gonna tell you what the load pays and then you decide if you wanna take it? or on the load board does it give you the pay info? i know it doesnt when i pull it up, does neg. rate included a fuel surcharge? so if they tell you a load pays $3000 you get 67 percent of that or there gonna tell you what your cut is? thanks for bearing with me with the questions!! :lol:
Old 08-31-2006, 03:37 AM
Board Regular

Out of curiosity, does the broker/agent pay you for the load? or does your pay come directly from Landstar? I talked to an independant once who told me a Landstar broker was holding several thousand dollars of his money and it took him several years and a few lawyers to get his money. Was this because he was not contracted to Landstar and depending only on the integrity of the broker?

Arky
Old 08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah i was wondering that also
Old 09-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudflap276
i was leased to lanstar ligon before everyone was combined. it is agent based. when you lease on they will give you an agent guide and show you how to use the www.landstarbroker.com to get your loads. the rates are already negotiated by the agents. when you call about the freight the agent will give you the rate then. vans paid 67% of 98% or roughly 72% of the load.if you go to the owner operator forums, there is some more information about landstar there. also go to www.landstarbroker.com so you can get an idea of the availability of freight that you want to haul.
ok you say the rate is already negotiated...does that mean when you call to book a load there gonna tell you what the load pays and then you decide if you wanna take it? or on the load board does it give you the pay info? i know it doesnt when i pull it up, does neg. rate included a fuel surcharge? so if they tell you a load pays $3000 you get 67 percent of that or there gonna tell you what your cut is? thanks for bearing with me with the questions!! :lol:
dont worry about the questions. ask them now so you dont have surprises later. when you call the agent, he/she will quote you the rate plus any surcharges. they will let you know pretty much everything you want to know. an agent in El Paso was even able to negotiate me a motel room into the deal since my trailer had to go across the border. the agent will tell you what the gross is. you will need to know what your minimum is accept no less.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
Out of curiosity, does the broker/agent pay you for the load? or does your pay come directly from Landstar? I talked to an independant once who told me a Landstar broker was holding several thousand dollars of his money and it took him several years and a few lawyers to get his money. Was this because he was not contracted to Landstar and depending only on the integrity of the broker?

Arky
i was paid by landstar but the wait time or accessory pay was paid through the agent. so when they got paid then you paid. it usually took a while.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Board Regular

so i take it that landstar is 100% owner operator
Old 10-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I was once leased to Landstar. They pay on 98% of the line haul. If you pull their trailer you will make 67% of 98%, which is about 65% of the line haul rate. If you own your own trailer, you will make 75% of 98%, which come out to just over 73% of the line haul rate. They are supposed to pass on 100% of the fuel surcharge, but I question whether they always do. When I was leased to them, it was before they added a fuel surcharge. If you pull anything but a van, you will need to provide your own trailer or rent one from Landstar. I believe the cost is about $150-165/wk. They do provide 2 Comdata cards to their BCO's. One is for the owner of the truck and is used for settlements. The other card may be given to the driver for fuel. When I was there BCO's were assigned a date which all paperwork needed to be in if you wanted to be paid by a certain date. Settlements were weekly on paperwork received. Landstar is 100% owner operator, but there are some fleet owners who may have drivers working for them, but they work for the owner operator and not Landstar. Landstar will buy your base plates for you, but you will pay for all base plates, permits, etc., They will deduct a flat amount out of your weekly settlements. They charge for everything they do for you. When I was there, we paid $1.75 each time they loaded our Comdata card. They will advance a percentage of the load once you have it on the truck. You will be assigned a "Care Person" for about 60-90 days, as I recall. This person will help you to learn their system. You will not have a dispatcher. Landstar is an agent based system. In other words, you will have a list of agents that you can call for loads. Basically, the agents are brokers who work for Landstar. Actually, they are also independent business people, just like the BCO's. They operate their own businesses. Sometimes agents may call you to haul loads when they know you are going to be in the area. Leasing to Landstar is about as close as you can get to running your own authority without having the paperwork. As far as advancing money for emergency maintenance, I never had to deal with that, but if you are under a load and can't deliver, they may advance you funds to repair the truck, but you should be able to do this yourself. As a BCO you are not an employee of Landstar, but an independent business owner. Landstar writes the checks, not the agents. If there are extras such as detention, it is the agent who is responsible for seeing that it is collected from the shipper, but Landstar writes the check. Landstar won't pay for extras unless they collect from the shipper. I only had a problem with one agent. He still owes me $1,200. Landstar wasn't much help in trying to collect the money. He was one of their largest agents, at the time. He did about $3MM in about 3 months. Landstar will follow the money and their own interests. But, that was only one agent. I didn't get something in writing, so I lost the money. I would never haul anything for that agent again. Most of their agents are reputable, but it is a business and should be conducted as such. Landstar is basically a broker who owns the bank. They are fairly rigid in the way they want things done. For the most part, they won't bother you as long as you get all your paperwork in timely and take care of business. That means that you pick up and deliver when you are supposed to and keep everyone informed if there is a problem.