User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My 3rd Week With Swift

Well here I am at The end of Week # 3 and the good things that have happen are considerably less than the bad things but none the less here they are.

I have managed to get more backing in and thats what I needed the most and I am getting pretty good at it, I am handling the rigg alot better and have alot of confidence in my driving now, BUT am always safe, infact my mentor seems to think im too safe and that ticks him off for some reason,
I am learning the qualcom well and am using it without any mistakes so far, I know how to do a drop and hook now, I may be too safe but I never get us there late, swift trucks are governed at 65 MPH and if we are free willing down a mountain it can get up to 70 but this beeper gos off on the qualcom that monitors your speed and then I back off, ive been able to keep my speed under 66 for the most part so I am doing good there.

Now here are the bad things that have happen so far.

My mentor is getting harder and harder to deal with, if I do something to the slightest out of place he gets so angry and yells so loud, and I have been patient and tried not to yell back, he is so arogant and self centered that he thinks he can do no wrong, he he is a 20 some odd year OTR driver and thinks I can drive the truck as well as him atleast thats the way he treats my driving, he has no respect for the fact that I am a trainee, the other day he chewed me out for not closing the door all the way on the truck and I knew I didnt and was about to reopen it and close it again but he got his anger in before I could, and this time he yelled at me in public and drew attention to himself, He didnt make a fool out of me he did that to himself as everyone looked at him as if he was a jacass, I myself didnt say anything about it.

The next morning his arrogant think I can do no wrong attitude was smeared as when we were driving down the interstate and there was only 1 lane open as they were doing work on the other lane and there was a truck coming onto the interstate it was night time and it was his shift and if he had sped up he would have hit the truck if he had slowed down just a little the truck would have got on just fine with plenty of room, he chose to do neither and cut off the other truck and forced him into a ditch and we pulled over and he got out to check on the other driver he had too because even though he didnt hit that truck it was stil an accident by swifts rules. the other driver was so ticked off I thought that other driver was going to hit him in the face, but he didnt and although was very ticked off at us he just got into his truck and pulled off, this mentor thinks I am too safe and I would have slowed down to let the truck in as to avoid an accident, so I ask you does it seem as if I am too safe? I guess that after so many years of experience behind the wheel we all at some point think we can do no wrong behind the wheel but over confidence can be a persons enemy.

there are a few other things he has done I wont go into that were wrong, I will say one of them, I was in the top bunk when he drove from the drop point back to the depot which was 5 miles , when i asked him to let me get down before he left he just said no just stay where you are.

This last week over a small thing he got so pissed off at me and once even thtreatened to hit me on the head with his tire checker and that was the last straw I yelled back this time and he threaten to throw me off his truck, I told him its not your truck its swifts truck your just borrowing it, the only reason I put up with this is that I spend 4 days with him and get 3 days at home, otherwise I dont think I could do it.

THIS PERSON IN NO WAY REFLECTS SWIFT AS A COMPANY, SWIFT ITSELF HAS STILL BEEN GOOD TO ME, i DONT THINK THEY KNOW ALL OF THE THINGS THAT GO ON OUT THERE ON THE ROAD, i dont even know for sure if he reported that accident the other night to swift he may have I do not know though.

Well thats it for now, ill keep you all posted, I have 3 weeks till I am on my own do any of U think I can make it ? it doesnt seem possible but ill just give it my best anyway take care and maby ill se you out there.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Rookie
Default Some questionable advice to Sarasdad91

I would have a talk with somebody at Swift about getting a new trainer. Threatening you with violence is completely unacceptable in my book. This obnoxious, over bearing jerk needs to be removed from the ranks of trainers. By keeping quiet, you will allow this jerk to be inflicted upon some other non-deserving soul. Do yourself and some future trainee a favor. That trainers time has long since expired.
Probably not the best advice you will ever get but that is what I would do.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Report this guy, and get a trainer who will take care of you, if the next guy is an @ss hole, go get anther one. There is no reason that you should have to put up with that kind of treatment. You're there to learn a skill and make good money doing it, find a guy who will do that and you will be ready to go once you go solo.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

this is one reason swift mentors get a bad rapp. becuase no one will take the actions dto do anything about it. ( i am talking trainee's here)

if you dont report this guy, then what about the next person he gets on his truck.

Personallty i would beat the hell out of him, and take myself off the truck after calling the training coordinator at the terminal.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member
Default Re: My 3rd Week With Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasdad91
Well here I am at The end of Week # 3 and the good things that have happen are considerably less than the bad things but none the less here they are.

I have managed to get more backing in and thats what I needed the most and I am getting pretty good at it, I am handling the rigg alot better and have alot of confidence in my driving now, BUT am always safe, infact my mentor seems to think im too safe and that ticks him off for some reason,
I am learning the qualcom well and am using it without any mistakes so far, I know how to do a drop and hook now, I may be too safe but I never get us there late, swift trucks are governed at 65 MPH and if we are free willing down a mountain it can get up to 70 but this beeper gos off on the qualcom that monitors your speed and then I back off, ive been able to keep my speed under 66 for the most part so I am doing good there.

My mentor is getting harder and harder to deal with, if I do something to the slightest out of place he gets so angry and yells so loud, and I have been patient and tried not to yell back, he is so arogant and self centered that he thinks he can do no wrong, he he is a 20 some odd year OTR driver and thinks I can drive the truck as well as him atleast thats the way he treats my driving, he has no respect for the fact that I am a trainee, the other day he chewed me out for not closing the door all the way on the truck and I knew I didnt and was about to reopen it and close it again but he got his anger in before I could, and this time he yelled at me in public and drew attention to himself, He didnt make a fool out of me he did that to himself as everyone looked at him as if he was a jacass, I myself didnt say anything about it.

The next morning his arrogant think I can do no wrong attitude was smeared as when we were driving down the interstate and there was only 1 lane open as they were doing work on the other lane and there was a truck coming onto the interstate it was night time and it was his shift and if he had sped up he would have hit the truck if he had slowed down just a little the truck would have got on just fine with plenty of room, he chose to do neither and cut off the other truck and forced him into a ditch and we pulled over and he got out to check on the other driver he had too because even though he didnt hit that truck it was stil an accident by swifts rules. the other driver was so ticked off I thought that other driver was going to hit him in the face, but he didnt and although was very ticked off at us he just got into his truck and pulled off, this mentor thinks I am too safe and I would have slowed down to let the truck in as to avoid an accident, so I ask you does it seem as if I am too safe? I guess that after so many years of experience behind the wheel we all at some point think we can do no wrong behind the wheel but over confidence can be a persons enemy.

there are a few other things he has done I wont go into that were wrong, I will say one of them, I was in the top bunk when he drove from the drop point back to the depot which was 5 miles , when i asked him to let me get down before he left he just said no just stay where you are.

This last week over a small thing he got so pissed off at me and once even thtreatened to hit me on the head with his tire checker and that was the last straw I yelled back this time and he threaten to throw me off his truck, I told him its not your truck its swifts truck your just borrowing it, the only reason I put up with this is that I spend 4 days with him and get 3 days at home, otherwise I dont think I could do it.

THIS PERSON IN NO WAY REFLECTS SWIFT AS A COMPANY, SWIFT ITSELF HAS STILL BEEN GOOD TO ME, i DONT THINK THEY KNOW ALL OF THE THINGS THAT GO ON OUT THERE ON THE ROAD, i dont even know for sure if he reported that accident the other night to swift he may have I do not know though.

Well thats it for now, ill keep you all posted, I have 3 weeks till I am on my own do any of U think I can make it ? it doesnt seem possible but ill just give it my best anyway take care and maby ill se you out there.
You sound like an enabler to me. Try telling a customer that the drivers in no way reflect the company that they drive for. Just as anyone who is subjected to domestic violence, you DON'T have to put up with this crap and neither does anyone else. Report it and get yourself another trainer, help the next trainee out.

Yeah, I know that you are just trying to get through training as quickly as possible but 6 months from now the extra few days to a week this is going to set you back will be long forgotten in the grand scheme of things. :wink:

Old 08-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Good Grief, Charlie Brown! This guy was yelling at you in public? Nope, no-way, no thanks, no how....just ain't happening! You've got to be a glutton for punishment to put up with abuse like that.

My first job as a team co-pilot was with a similar a-hole. A real dirtbag who bragged about smacking his live-in girlfriend around. Though he had a lot of mouth, he had little to back it up and one day I mopped up the dock with his face and threw him down a flight of stairs. Needless to say, that was the end of that particular gig. And gladly so.

Aaron Tippin sang it best, "You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything." If you give these guys an inch they'll take you for a country mile. And that's when a little introduction to Mr. Fist can turn the tables.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:24 AM
Board Regular

The best thing that you can do is get in touch with your terminal manager, request a new mentor, and file a written formal complaint. There is no guarentee that anything will happen when the complaint is submitted as the mentor I turned in is now an owner operator.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

the mentor /trainer is bound by guidelines and rules and policy. if they are broken its one thing, usually for action to be taken it has to be witnessed in perosn by another. even someone in a truck stop. thats willing to attest to the actions. i always enjoyed it when i was able to witness a mentor abusing a trainee, not because it was enjoyable,. but because i alone based on what i saw was able to weed out another bad trainer. and i did on a couple occassions.

if you like, i can scan and post a few pages of the mentor rules and guidelines for swift.

but suffice it to say right now. they are not allowed to abuse, scold, yell, scream or intimidate the trainee into feeling threatened or unsafe.

as a student, you can send a message to dispatch or coordinator. and immediately delete as soon as its sent, mentor will never know. after which you can remove yourself from the truck and someone will get you picked up or into a hotel. and a new mentor assigned. remember, its easier to have a witness to what happened so its not word against word.

many options and quite easy to get a new mentor.

remember, its worth a few extra days of training to get some quality training in my opinion.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Board Regular

Nope Sarasdad... you don't need to put up with that crap. Get on your cell phone and call the Director of Training, tell him what has happened and that you intend to file a written report and you want a new mentor. This guy isn't a trainer.........what's worse is that his threatening you with his tire thumper is considered assault.

Do yourself and the next trainee a favor and report his ass.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: My 3rd Week With Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasdad91

Call your home terminal's fleet manager !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE
This 'mentor' needs to be thrown off the training program ASAP....email me if u want @ [email protected]