User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm looking to get back in

I have been thinking about how I could get back into full time professional driving. I started driving hot shots and straight trucks in 1978 at age 21. Before that I operated farming equipment from the age of 13. From 1978 through 1996 I drove regional KS, NE, OK, MO, IA, CO. Pulling tanker (Ag chemicals and fuel), Dry van, pneumatic, Hopper, Hopper/Tanker combination.
In 1996 I returned home from a run and my wife said it was time for me to get off the road. We had 2 small boys, one a baby the other 3 years old at that time. So I quit driving and got a 8 to 5 job doing maintenance. About 4 years ago I started a new job, it was primarily plant maintenance but because of of my past driving experience I had the opportunity to go over the road part time when needed. I have since left that job and returned back to my old employer of 1996. My oldest boy is now out on his own and my youngest will be going off to college next fall. I am still married to my wife of 24 years by the way.
My question is, how do I get back in to driving? From what I have been reading on the internet is that trucking companies want reacent experience. Do all the years of experience I have count for nothing? Do I need to go to a trucking driving school and start from square one? That seems silly. Does anyone have any Ideas that could help me?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may find a smaller carrier who will hire you. Most carriers require 6-12 months experience in the last 3 years. It may come down to how much recent experience you could prove with your current or recent employer. This industry is pretty much controlled by the insurance industry. Unless we can insure a driver we cannot hire them. The insurance companies don't usually check past employment, but do check to see how long you have held your CDL. You might start by talking with some of the bulk tanker or ag companies or carriers that service your area. You need to get at least a year of current experience in order to make yourself more marketable to most carriers. If you cannot find something you may need to take a refresher course with a school or go with one of the training carriers. It doesn't seem fair, but you may need to take one of those routes to get your foot back into the industry. If it were me, I would start with smaller carriers that may be more flexible on experience or be able to put you with a trainer or other driver for a short time to check your current level of experience. It is a shame that we have allowed insurance companies to dictate whom we can hire, but that is the reality of trucking today. You may also check some of the company listings on this forum to see if you can find a company that may work for you. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:45 AM
Rookie

I have held my CDL for 34 years. I had one layover in 1986. Thank you for your reply!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Motor transport company offers a work for a truck driver. Good salary and social insurance. Requirements: 5 years or more of experience as a truck driver, CDL class A, experience of work on a car carrier is welcome. Send your contacts on my email [email protected]