User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Very quick survey - 6 questions

Driver Survey
I could use everyone’s help as much as possible to answer these questions. Please be as specific as possible, as it will help in discerning the results and coming to the best conclusions. I did not include questions about what type of CMV driven because that doesn’t factor into the results. If you are specifically proud of your CMV, please feel free to let me know though. If you have any questions about the survey or for me, please feel free to ask here or in PM/email and I will reply as soon as possible.
Questions 1, 5, and 6 are to be answered in respect to when you are on the road.
Thank you.

1. What type of radio stations (sports radio, music +type, comedy, talk radio, satellite or normal) do you listen to?

2. What sports do you or your family play/watch/enjoy?

3. What type of websites (sports, weather, news, special interest, hobby, social media) do you visit?

4. What social media sites do you use (facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter, linkedin, youtube, etc)?

5. Do you have a smart phone? If so, what apps do you use?

6. What do you use your phone for (apps, internet, phone calls, texting, etc)?

You can reply here or PM/email me if you prefer.
Thank you for your time in replying.
M. A.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Rookie
Default Very quick survey - 6 questions

Driver Survey
I could use everyone’s help as much as possible to answer these questions. Please be as specific as possible, as it will help in discerning the results and coming to the best conclusions. I did not include questions about what type of CMV driven because that doesn’t factor into the results. If you are specifically proud of your CMV, please feel free to let me know though. If you have any questions about the survey or for me, please feel free to ask here or in PM/email and I will reply as soon as possible.
Questions 1, 5, and 6 are to be answered in respect to when you are on the road.
Thank you.

1. What type of radio stations (sports radio, music +type, comedy, talk radio, satellite or normal) do you listen to?

3. What type of websites (sports, weather, news, special interest, hobby, social media) do you visit?

4. What social media sites do you use (facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter, linkedin, youtube, etc)?

You can reply here or PM/email me if you prefer.
Thank you for your time in replying.
M. A.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Rookie

I suppose I should explain why I am interested in this information. Basically it will assist me in figuring out what will be the best use of my time - it will answer questions like, "should I spend my time creating an app for a smartphone, or write an article about tips for drivers?" or "Should I spend time updating Twitter or Pinterest?" Things like, "Would it be a good use of my time creating a contest for pictures from drivers or should I start a blog with recipes that are useful otr?"

I have been very passionate about education on health and fitness for drivers due to the extreme drop in life expectancy for drivers from the general population (something like 11 year difference). I am looking to find the best places to get the message across. I don't want to invade people's inbox, but I want to be able to get the information to people who want it. Rest easy that replying to this survey via post, PM, nor email will not put you on any list, will not get you spam, and that you're not having to go to another site nor sign up for anything. I am simply interested in the information from the specific demographic of people I want to reach.

So in short, I am just looking to find the best place to focus my effort.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAllenKeystone View Post
Please be as specific as possible, as it will help in discerning the results and coming to the best conclusions.
Ummmm.....why?

Discerning what? Best conclusions regarding? I'm perplexed here. Remember, I'm just a truck driver. Hence further explanation I think is in order before I volunteer information on a lark.

Are you the former IRS Commissioner that tendered his resignation yesterday? Unsolicited questioning/discernation/and conclusion blustering....are generally not received well within this industry. And if I might be so candid to say...not on this board either.

What is this survey for? You can use everybody's help? Let us know what we are helping you for............and your response level might increase from zero.

Let's start with you answering all of the above questions, so that we know a bit about you? I think that's only fair, huh?

I don't think you can PM anyhow. It takes more past activity on the board than you currently have.

BOL

(btw.....I did see your other post regarding fitness etc. So I do have an idea what you are after. Simply posting in another area with even less info might not be the way to elicit the responses that you are looking for.) Just a thought.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Board Icon

LOL! Good to see you back... Bel! Give 'em hell! lol

When ANYONE (but ME) uses the word "discern" I usually figure they don't know what they are talking about. One cannot "discern" results. Only FACTS. And, in this case... "best conclusions" are subjective to say the least.

The O.P. obviously didn't realize there was a subforum for "surveys."

And... for the LIFE of me.... I can't figure out why questions 1,5 and 6 have anything MORE to do with "being on the road" as opposed to being at home!

But, at least he doesn't sound like a furriner! But, it saddens me if THIS is what our kids are doing in college these days!

I'm just a stupid trucker.... but, I know more about the integration of smartphones into the daily lives of average Americans!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Rookie

My apologies for any confusion this is causing. I looked through the forum list and from the ones I could see, this area looked like the best place to post it.
I am after more information from while on the road because I know in my car, I am not always in charge of what we're listening to.
This isn't for a school project, some way for me to earn extra money, or ask questions to gain knowledge that I can use to sell you something. I want to know because I'm trying to create a way to get information to people who want it. I am interested in raising education about health and fitness in this industry and want to figure out the best way to get that information to people who want it - not to people who don't.
The answers to these questions will help me determine whether I should spend my time on posting on Facebook or I should create a blog instead - if I should create an app or a youtube channel with interviews and information - If I create videos for fitness, what type of music would best enhance it...

I'm not interested in the average American, nor am I wanting to gauge the interest of the average American, I want a select group of people, the ones who move America but have been grossly under appreciated.

A little about me is I suppose only fair.
My name is Melissa. I live in the midwest and I started in the Transportation industry in safety and compliance. After my cousin started gaining a lot of weight after driving for about a year, I got more and more interested in health and fitness, and ways that those who live on the road can stay healthy in a job that most people think there is very little hope of being able to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. I reached out to Joe Martin, creator of Truckercise and interviewed him for an article for my company's monthly newsletter and I put together stats and information to help anyone who wanted it. When I left the company I was at, my passion for helping people change their lives didn't end, and every stat I've read about the state of the industry has further fueled my passion for this subject.
So my apologies for anything that I stated incorrectly, or my brazen posting of a survey that may help me get my message out there. I just don't want to get my information together and start posting links on forums, or advertising by finding sites and posting a link. I want to do this the right way, and although I may not have the incredible financial backing to be able to do this by mailing and sending out millions of letters asking people for the results of the survey, I still want to make sure that I get the information I so desperately want so I can use my resources most efficiently.

I'm not doing this to present the results to a large corporation who will pay me for the results or using it to earn a grade and then trash the results, wasting everyone's time. I'm not doing this to gain personal information from anyone so I can send them spam. I'm not going to make millions of dollars off of this or earn prestige or fame. I am doing this because there is a large portion of the nation's commercial drivers that don't think there is anything that can be done and an even larger part of the nation that thinks that poor health and fitness is just part of the job. I want to change all of that. I want to educate CMV drivers that even without being home every night and going to the gym every day that you can maintain your health and fitness; that it doesn't matter where you are right now in your wellness right now, there are small changes to start that won't take hours out of your day; that everyone has the chance and right to be healthy and fit.

So theres a little bit about me. If there's anything I didn't answer, or anything else you want to know, please just ask. I will be happy to answer.

Thanks,
M.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Board Icon

MAllenKeystone said:

Quote:
My apologies for any confusion this is causing. I looked through the forum list and from the ones I could see, this area looked like the best place to post it.
Apology accepted... and my own offered for being so short with you. It's all Belpre's fault! lol. You couldn't possibly KNOW how often we get these kinds of "requests." (mostly from furriners working on some kind of a college thesis... not to mention salespeople.) Still... I can't help but wonder what part of the subforum title "And the SURVEY says..." didn't catch your eye?? Nearly EVERY forum site I've visited HAS such a subforum.

Quote:
I am after more information from while on the road because I know in my car, I am not always in charge of what we're listening to.
Fair enough... but, you are talking to truckers now, and most of us ARE in control of what we listen to while on the road. [Heck... MOST of us would probably bite your hand off for changing the channel in our POV. lol.]

Quote:
This isn't for a school project, some way for me to earn extra money, or ask questions to gain knowledge that I can use to sell you something. I want to know because I'm trying to create a way to get information to people who want it. I am interested in raising education about health and fitness in this industry and want to figure out the best way to get that information to people who want it - not to people who don't.
The answers to these questions will help me determine whether I should spend my time on posting on Facebook or I should create a blog instead - if I should create an app or a youtube channel with interviews and information
THAT would have been a useful "intro" to your original post. Just sayin'

Quote:
- If I create videos for fitness, what type of music would best enhance it...
A nice slow two-step would be nice. I think I can manage about 2 pushups per minute. lol.

Quote:
I'm not interested in the average American, nor am I wanting to gauge the interest of the average American, I want a select group of people, the ones who move America but have been grossly under appreciated.
Thank you.

Quote:
A little about me is I suppose only fair.
My name is Melissa. I live in the midwest and I started in the Transportation industry in safety and compliance. After my cousin started gaining a lot of weight after driving for about a year, I got more and more interested in health and fitness, and ways that those who live on the road can stay healthy in a job that most people think there is very little hope of being able to maintain an active and healthy lifestyle.
Also would have been nice if included in your O.P.

Quote:
I reached out to Joe Martin, creator of Truckercise and interviewed him for an article for my company's monthly newsletter and I put together stats and information to help anyone who wanted it. When I left the company I was at, my passion for helping people change their lives didn't end, and every stat I've read about the state of the industry has further fueled my passion for this subject.
Just a thought but... why didn't you continue your efforts with HIM? I think Hulk Hogan also writes much on the subject that is published in one of the truckstop (chain) magazines. If you wanted to write a blog... I would suggest making contact with one of these pubs. Not familiar with them? Go to a Pilot T/S and a T/A truckstop and pick up a copy of Challenge magazine and RoadKing magazine respectively. Start with contacting THEIR editorial staff.

Quote:
So my apologies for anything that I stated incorrectly, or my brazen posting of a survey that may help me get my message out there. I just don't want to get my information together and start posting links on forums, or advertising by finding sites and posting a link. I want to do this the right way, and although I may not have the incredible financial backing to be able to do this by mailing and sending out millions of letters asking people for the results of the survey, I still want to make sure that I get the information I so desperately want so I can use my resources most efficiently.
A valiant effort, and a worthy cause. I wish you luck. If all is as you say... your altruism is commendable and appreciated. I wish I could tell you what the best medium is. I just don't know. Our world is awash in "messaging." You've already demonstrated the ability to "save" your message and post it. I might suggest that there are ONLY a handful of popular trucker's forums so.... you could just line them up on your desktop and post your weekly "suggestions" to each of them. Would cost you nothing. Whether every fat trucker on the road READS one of them? Couldn't tell you.

Quote:
I'm not doing this to present the results to a large corporation who will pay me for the results or using it to earn a grade and then trash the results, wasting everyone's time. I'm not doing this to gain personal information from anyone so I can send them spam. I'm not going to make millions of dollars off of this or earn prestige or fame. I am doing this because there is a large portion of the nation's commercial drivers that don't think there is anything that can be done and an even larger part of the nation that thinks that poor health and fitness is just part of the job. I want to change all of that. I want to educate CMV drivers that even without being home every night and going to the gym every day that you can maintain your health and fitness; that it doesn't matter where you are right now in your wellness right now, there are small changes to start that won't take hours out of your day; that everyone has the chance and right to be healthy and fit.
Again.... thank you and good luck. But, just for you info...

1) MANY of the obese trucker's were that way BEFORE they got into trucking. Their "condition" often influences their job opportunities and/or choices. Not sure how successful you'd be at changing what was already broken.

2) PLEASE don't ever suggest that they get out of their truck and walk or jog around the large T/S parking lot. Articles I've read seem to prove that the excessive diesel exhaust can be MORE damaging to their health than just sitting it out. And, of course, increased aerobic exercise will only INCREASE their intake of harmful particulates.

If you decide to start a blog, let me know. I've got a few other suggestions and would be GLAD to link to your blog in every "media" that I participate in. I, too, am greatly concerned with the problem of obesity... of the average American in general... and truckers specifically.

Now... my answers:

Quote:
Mostly XM. NEWS channels mostly... but some music (both country and Classic Rock.) Some comedy, and occasionally sports.

Quote:
I play and watch Golf. Also NFL, some college football, college basketball, and some racing.

Quote:
Again... mostly news. That would RARELY include FOX (but I am rare among truckers.) Yahoo is my homepage. Localized NFL team page. The Weather Channel is a useful tool. And recently.... Facebook. [no twitter, pinterest, tumblr, or "others."]

Quote:
Youtube ONLY when linked to a video from this or other websites/forums. Facebook is my staple.

Quote:
Yes. An iphone 4S. Apps? Weather channel, routing, facebook and messenger, calendar, and clock. [that would be a good one. I use my iphone as an alarm clock. Maybe, you could wake me up 3 times a day and tell me to take a pill or pump some iron! lol.]

Quote:
Redundant question, but.... phone calls, texting, facebook, alarm clock, routing and weather. In that order. I MIGHT would use it for CAD... but, I'm having an argument with the "app" about having to give out every detail of my life just to sign on! I take my laptop with me on the road, and I can get HERE much easier on it.

Now... I don't see how that info helps you much. But... don't say I never DID nothin' for ya! lol.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
MAllenKeystone said:

Just a thought but... why didn't you continue your efforts with HIM? I think Hulk Hogan also writes much on the subject that is published in one of the truckstop (chain) magazines. If you wanted to write a blog... I would suggest making contact with one of these pubs. Not familiar with them? Go to a Pilot T/S and a T/A truckstop and pick up a copy of Challenge magazine and RoadKing magazine respectively. Start with contacting THEIR editorial staff.

1) MANY of the obese trucker's were that way BEFORE they got into trucking. Their "condition" often influences their job opportunities and/or choices. Not sure how successful you'd be at changing what was already broken.

2) PLEASE don't ever suggest that they get out of their truck and walk or jog around the large T/S parking lot. Articles I've read seem to prove that the excessive diesel exhaust can be MORE damaging to their health than just sitting it out. And, of course, increased aerobic exercise will only INCREASE their intake of harmful particulates.

If you decide to start a blog, let me know. I've got a few other suggestions and would be GLAD to link to your blog in every "media" that I participate in. I, too, am greatly concerned with the problem of obesity... of the average American in general... and truckers specifically.
Whew that was a post!
As for my relationship with Joe Martin, I have kept in contact with him, now more so since I have the ability to do a bit more than after I left the company I started all this at. He's given me great suggestions and motivation. As for the other suggestions, I appreciate them. I have attempted to get in contact with magazines that cater to the industry, radio broadcasters, and other mediums. But if the effort I do is just going to be ignored, its effort wasted, which is why I wanted better direction.

As for suggesting that "getting out and walking around the parking lot" is a good idea, as exercise IS a great thing to do, I wouldn't be so brazen as to suggest something like that. The fumes, in addition to the deeper and faster breathing from the exercise, would make a good way to get cancer instead of healthy. Its also one of those suggestions that are given by people who don't really care or just think its "that easy." I want to provide tips that will help health and wellness, and aren't necessarily posted everywhere. Also ones that come with backing by industry professionals and fitness experts.
As for many being obese before they got into trucking, well, its never too late to think about your health. It's not about losing a hundred pounds, its about getting fit and working toward something better. I think that this can be done by anyone.

I'd love to hear your ideas (of course you would receive proper credit for them). Once I get more established, I will be looking for as much inspiration and as many ideas as possible.

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Senior Board Member