No 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There are many other avenues to obtain food. Local, state and the federal government all have programs. As far as Billy Bob the unemployed computer tech. I'm almost positive it was not him trying to bum food off of me at the TA.

Last edited by ronjon619; 04-29-2009 at 03:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Board Member

I have a bad habit of telling them to try getting a job. That is what I tell my sons and it doesn't seem to work. :angryblue:

I use to see a lot more of them when I worked in the city. The street bums would be jonesing with some sad story. That is one sec of society I try not to enable. At least they aren't carrying guns or breaking into my house! :clap:
Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Board Icon

I had a visitor the other night at our yard.
Our yard is on the west side of town. About 5 miles, on highway 82. Our office is a double wide with a porch light on each end, by the doors. We park our trucks/trailers right in front of the office. Kinda picture a "used car lot". That's what it looks like, but a small one. There is a gas station across the highway, with a street light. You can imagine how much light we have at night.
Well, I get back to the yard. (It's around 12:45-1:00) I'm breaking down my set, droppin/hookin etc. I could smell cigarette smoke. I thought that was kinda strange. I got done, and I got my lunchbox, radio and stuff out of my truck. I put my stuff in the office, and when I came out, this dude was walking up to the yard. I was nervous, but I didn't want to show it. He never gave me his name or nothing. Just asked me if he could "get a ride" into town. I always like to be the "good Samaritan", but I wasn't sure about this one. He looked like he was 3 sheets to the wind. I said, "I got a phone inside, you can call someone." He said, "I can't do dat. I aint got no money for no cab." I said, "well, I can call the Sheriff's office. I'm sure they can give ya a ride into town." I wasn't trying to be funny or anything by saying that, but he took it offensive. He said, "Naw don't do dat. If you aint gonna help me, I'm just gonna go on. So you gonna give me a ride?" I said, "man, I'd like to, but if I ever got caught with anyone riding in our trucks, I'd get fired." (of course I was done for the night-i was about to get ready to go home, but he didn't know that) He just nodded his head, and started walking towards town. You talk about wiping the sweat off your brow. I didn't know what was gonna happen when he walked up. I finished up, and I clocked out. He was still walking along the highway, about a mile from the yard when I went home.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Our yard is on the west side of town. About 5 miles, on highway 82. Our office is a double wide with a porch light on each end, by the doors. We park our trucks/trailers right in front of the office. Kinda picture a "used car lot". That's what it looks like, but a small one. There is a gas station across the highway, with a street light. You can imagine how much light we have at night.
Well, I get back to the yard. (It's around 12:45-1:00) I'm breaking down my set, droppin/hookin etc. I could smell cigarette smoke. I thought that was kinda strange. I got done, and I got my lunchbox, radio and stuff out of my truck. I put my stuff in the office, and when I came out, this dude was walking up to the yard. I was nervous, but I didn't want to show it. He never gave me his name or nothing. Just asked me if he could "get a ride" into town. I always like to be the "good Samaritan", but I wasn't sure about this one. He looked like he was 3 sheets to the wind. I said, "I got a phone inside, you can call someone." He said, "I can't do dat. I aint got no money for no cab." I said, "well, I can call the Sheriff's office. I'm sure they can give ya a ride into town." I wasn't trying to be funny or anything by saying that, but he took it offensive. He said, "Naw don't do dat. If you aint gonna help me, I'm just gonna go on. So you gonna give me a ride?" I said, "man, I'd like to, but if I ever got caught with anyone riding in our trucks, I'd get fired." (of course I was done for the night-i was about to get ready to go home, but he didn't know that) He just nodded his head, and started walking towards town. You talk about wiping the sweat off your brow. I didn't know what was gonna happen when he walked up. I finished up, and I clocked out. He was still walking along the highway, about a mile from the yard when I went home.
I've been wondering where golfhobo has been lately. Do ya think that he made it home OK JR?:bow::clap::lol2::thumbsup::smokin:

Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Board Member

some of those beggars may actually be cr england, prime, pride, and schneider l/o's. after the 100th paycheck for a whopping $0 to $50. they need a few bucks to buy themselves a meal and will use the change to use the payphone.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
I've been wondering where golfhobo has been lately. Do ya think that he made it home OK JR?:bow::clap::lol2::thumbsup::smokin:
Just wrong, belpre. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Rookie

i know im not a trucker yet but i get them all the time here in stockton. Personaly i grew up military. if you can walk you can work. so i cant feel much empathy for the mid 20-30's guys who could lift a shovel/broom whatever but choose to beg for tax free income. I read a story once of a couple in Yuba city who begged for a living. they owned ther eown house, drove nice cars, ect. they had a beater car they drove to there beg site, wore a change of old tattered clothes and proceded to beg all day. i think i read they made 3k or so a month and it was tax free.
i have a local homeless guy that lives out of his truck. he earns a living doing yard work in the neighborhood for cheap. ive had him do my lawns and he does good work. if he can find a way to push a mower then so can these other guys.
now i have felt charitable once or twice and gave some food or change but its rare. i guess im just evil
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, in this economy, there are several people that come to our door nearly every day. They're not asking for money, but they want to use the computer to check the sites that advertise jobs. And, if we look at the history when they are done, that's exactly what they have been doing. They'll check it in the morning, and they'll do it again in the evening. The time spent in between is at the offices for "day labor". They're finding almost nothing at all. And, yes, we'll also give them something to eat. These people, I don't mind. Wish I could do more for them.

But the ones that sneak into my shed and steal my tools and equipment to pawn... I've managed to set up a camcorder so that when they open the door, it gets a full view of who it is. They're finding out that my tools, etc, aren't kept in the shed anymore, but I've got pics of nearly a dozen faces that I have no idea who they are. I'm sure that if they knew there was one of those hidden in the pile of junk in the far corner, it would be gone too.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
Yeah, I made it Bel!! But MAN are my puppies tired! There wasn't a single trucker between Lubbock and NC that would give me a ride! And I don't understand it....cuz I offered every ONE of them a cold beer! :hellno:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Your office is a double wide? Were all the buildings in Texas driven or pulled to their address?