Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trip to see OTR husband, or pay bills

My husband and I are faced with a decision. He will be 450 miles from me for a week to test for his own truck. I am wanting to take the children and go up to see him, as we have not had "alone time" in over 3 weeks.
However, due to our current finances this would mean pushing a major bill (necessity) off one more week in order to make it happen. Said bill is already a month late.
Do I take the trip and spend $180 or so or do I put that money towards bills? Just thought I'd get other truckers opinion, as most other people don't understand what its like to be apart that long.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Senior Board Member

being apart has nothing to do with it, if it's a "necessity" and a "major bill" such as the mortgage, heat, electric, or food, then there is no way you should be even considering it. especially as you have kids who need a clean, warm safe place to live. why would you put that in jeopardy?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member

8/10 speaks volumes
are you seriously behind in any of your debts?
theirs a youtube video that will make your whining seem illplaced and with the music y youll find perspective youll laugh at the same time but youll also feel bad about laughing so just watch .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zXvm3HKRI
Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
8/10 speaks volumes
are you seriously behind in any of your debts?
theirs a youtube video that will make your whining seem illplaced and with the music y youll find perspective youll laugh at the same time but youll also feel bad about laughing so just watch .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zXvm3HKRI
No laughing. And anybody else ever wish forums had iggy buttons like chat rooms?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Trip to see OTR husband, or pay bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by madii'swife
My husband and I are faced with a decision. He will be 450 miles from me for a week to test for his own truck. I am wanting to take the children and go up to see him, as we have not had "alone time" in over 3 weeks.
However, due to our current finances this would mean pushing a major bill (necessity) off one more week in order to make it happen. Said bill is already a month late.
Do I take the trip and spend $180 or so or do I put that money towards bills? Just thought I'd get other truckers opinion, as most other people don't understand what its like to be apart that long.
I know it may be very tempting to go see him and if it were not for your financial issues at the moment I would say go for it.

However, look at it this way.....you've waited 3 weeks so far (aside the 5 hours you spent with him recently) so what is 1 more week?

At the same time, maybe, just maybe, your presence there when he is trying to test out may be more of a distraction than anything.

Just be a trooper and hang in there one more week. Besides, from what I have read, it seems that most companies will route you through your home to get your truck loaded with personal effects.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Trip to see OTR husband, or pay bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
I know it may be very tempting to go see him and if it were not for your financial issues at the moment I would say go for it.

However, look at it this way.....you've waited 3 weeks so far (aside the 5 hours you spent with him recently) so what is 1 more week?

At the same time, maybe, just maybe, your presence there when he is trying to test out may be more of a distraction than anything.

Just be a trooper and hang in there one more week. Besides, from what I have read, it seems that most companies will route you through your home to get your truck loaded with personal effects.
Well, you have raised a few things I will have to check on for sure with. But..as far as I know at this point we are not looking at 1 more week, but rather 3 more. My understanding is that he will not be through home before he goes out on his own truck, and will go straight from testing to a run. I think I will call the very helpful training lady at TransAm and find out for sure. If he would be home at least one overnight in the next week or so it wouldn't be worth it to even think about.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

I you are willing to make the sacrifices of DH's time away from home now in order to get your bills caught up, and build a better life and a better future for yourself and your family, then for God's sake, don't sabotage yourselves now by allowing your bills to continue to go unpaid!!

I know that it's rough, but I also know that if you will stay the course, then a year from now, you will be happy that you made the sacrifices that you are making today!!
Old 12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for all the responses and logical advice. Just thought I'd post here also that our church has decided to cover the hotel price so that we can go, and to confirm that yes, it would be another 3 weeks before he would get back home otherwise.
My business efforts here were also able to turn up more than usual, allowing us the extra besides his paycheck to pay both bills, and be able to go spend time with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
This is the only thing that still concerns me at all. I have brought it up with my husband, and he is not very concerned with it. I also asked the woman I've been corresponding with at TransAm whether she thought it was advisable and she made a comment about not following him to the yard (DUH!) but other than that the company thought it was a good idea. Any other thoughts on that part of it?
Old 12-17-2006, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

CALL A WWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBEEEEEEEELLLL LLLLLLAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNCCCCCEEEEE LIFE IS ACTUALLY ABOUT CHALLENGES WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Old 12-17-2006, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
I you are willing to make the sacrifices of DH's time away from home now in order to get your bills caught up, and build a better life and a better future for yourself and your family, then for God's sake, don't sabotage yourselves now by allowing your bills to continue to go unpaid!!

I know that it's rough, but I also know that if you will stay the course, then a year from now, you will be happy that you made the sacrifices that you are making today!!
What has god have to do with madiis feelings you jackass rat fink phucr
cretedrvr is no longer here because of useless