View Poll Results: How do you communicate on the road if you don't have a phone?
CB 7 70.00%
Hand Signals 1 10.00%
Flash Lights 1 10.00%
Yell out window 0 0%
Tell co-driver to figure it out 0 0%
Stop your vehicle, get out and talk to another driver 0 0%
Pull off the road and go to sleep 1 10.00%
other 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Communication using the CB on the road

There are still a few drivers out here that rely on the cb for information about what is up the road in front of us. At times we have all experienced the rude cbers who bucket mouth on the mickey mouse channel 19 (otherwise the main highway channel used in most parts of the country still today). That default in effect creates a bottle neck to getting good information at times. So whether it is someone putting a carrier on the channel, too much none stop talking by anyone including base stations, how do you get past this deafening noise to find out what is going on?
After years on the road I've found a way we all can still communicate. The way is by recognizing you have more than a couple other channels on your cb. You can use it simply to get around blocked channels. How? Easy, not only do you change channels but once everyone uses this method, introduced through forums like this, everyone will simply just go to the alternate channel and continue receiving vital information. I recommend that you can find the best alternative channel by looking at the number of the state or federal roadway that you are on. Just add up the numbers in the road number, ie 192 , equals 1 plus 9 plus 2 equals 12. This is your alternative channel if channel 19 is unavailable. For a Highway that adds up to 19, you just double it and you have channel 38, open for your use. The method is easy to remember. If the alternative channel is busy, the backup plan to use at that point is to use this: If you are on a road marked North or South, use the next odd numbered channel from the alternative channel, while East or West use the next even numbered channel - REMEMBER the O in Odd is closest to the N in North and the E in Even is closest to the E in East, now you know which even or odd channel you need to go to. Maybe some react people are still out there, so please double 13 if you total that number, to leave open the emergency channel. Some drivers have mentioned that it sounds too complicated, however besides not being able to communicate with anyone else and sit there with no information, perhaps you can remember to add the numbers to go to the alternative channel and from there use the even or odd for east or north direction to finally get the information you can use. Needless to say, if you are out of cell range, no phone or just don't care, please don't use this method, as I wouldn't want to talk to a no good negative driver anyway. Keep the methods to yourself or you'll be forced to talk when you obviously wouldn't want to anyway. Keep on keeping on... On the road since 1971
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 PM

I encountered some "bucket-mouths" last year, the day before Thanksgiving. They were really getting rude and crude. I got on the cb and reminded them that 'civilians' were on the road with families in the vehicles and that they just might be listening. Then I said, very sweetly, "Happy Thanksgiving". We then had radio silence for quite a while.
So, hey those few of you truckers who have to get into arguments, please think next time before you have your pi$$ing contest.