User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Heisman 2011

Looks like Robert Griffin of Baylor is going to get it this year over Andrew Luck. I do believe Tyrann Mathieu should be #2 though. I think the only reason he wouldn't in it would have been because of his suspension for fake drugs.

To me Tyrann is the best player, a game changer. He's very valuable to LSU in several ways and has been the one who spurred them on when the going got tough. He was the one at WV who single-handedly turned that game around. He did the same against UGA last week, his 2nd punt return didn't go for a TD but god he looked like Gale Sayers bumping and weaving. All 11 defenders took a shot at him, some took more than 1 before he was finally tripped up. He didn't get to play at Bama and that will hurt his chances overall.

Robert Griffin is the same way with Baylor, he can take over a game and is very valuable to the Bears success. The thing that concerned me was that he didn't play as well against the poor teams, then again his bad days were most QB's good days. Not too great against Iowa St and Texas Tech, mind you he ran the ball 24 times against Iowa St for 100 yards and and a TD.

Trent Richardson was a monster at RB, reminds me of Walter Payton. He isn't going to run out of bounds, he's going to dish some punishment of his own out. I have really liked watching him run the ball with such ferocity. The problem was that LSU shut him down.

Andrew Luck's performance against Oregon spoke volumes on his chances of winning the Heisman. Great show there and it's his to lose, didn't do too well. His numbers were slightly under Griffin's for the year.

Montee Ball, all he did was score TD's for Wisconsin. He outperformed Richardson but he's gotten little coverage.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I think they made the right choice. Griffin is a great example of a "student" athlete and he was the "Most Valuable Player" on his team this year. Without him Baylor wins a couple of games and that's it. Congrats to him and Baylor for a great season.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Board Icon

And that was good to see, a true MVP of a team gets it. First Baylor player ever to get it, first to even finish in the Top 5 since 1946. Of late it's been the fancy pick for Heisman instead of a true team MVP. They were picking players who, take them away from their team, the team still goes on winning. They weren't that valuable to the team. Chris Weinke, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith, even Mark Ingram.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
And that was good to see, a true MVP of a team gets it. First Baylor player ever to get it, first to even finish in the Top 5 since 1946. Of late it's been the fancy pick for Heisman instead of a true team MVP. They were picking players who, take them away from their team, the team still goes on winning. They weren't that valuable to the team. Chris Weinke, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Troy Smith, even Mark Ingram.
Agreed. I like the pick.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Board Icon

Sorry, wrong year on the last Baylor player to finish in the Top 5, 1963 was the year.