User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Texas t.v.

Maannnnn......has this set off a firestorm in the Big 12. The local sports radio show's phone lines and commentaries are burning up the airwaves. They always say UT does pretty much what they want too and the Big 12 doesn't really try to keep them in line because they bring in so much money. The local sports guy's, (The Sports Animal), think that UT just floated up a trial balloon to see what would happen and boy did they get a response.

Of COURSE if they televised High School games it would be a HUGE recruiting advantage for them. What high school kid wouldn't/doesn't want to be on T.V. and play for the school that did it for them. They were even talking about televising games in other states where players that they are after are playing. Gonna be interesting to see how this goes. They were kind of comparing it to the deal Notre Dame and NBC have.

Times........they are a changin!

Texas seeks to calm Big 12 rivals' concerns over Longhorn Network - ESPN
Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Board Icon

I would think in essence that is an NCAA violation for recruiting practice's if the school itself starts showing high school games on TV on it's own network. That would be nothing like ND and now BYU have done. ND only shows THEIR football games on NBC, BYU will show all THEIR sports. Sounds like UT is treading a very thin grey area line with the NCAA if they are serious about also showing high school games, particularly of recruits they are after.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
I would think in essence that is an NCAA violation for recruiting practice's if the school itself starts showing high school games on TV on it's own network. That would be nothing like ND and now BYU have done. ND only shows THEIR football games on NBC, BYU will show all THEIR sports. Sounds like UT is treading a very thin grey area line with the NCAA if they are serious about also showing high school games, particularly of recruits they are after.
I think in mentioning ND and, they did mention BYU, they were just talking about "their" TV contracts and having their "own" networks, and how UT is pushing the envelope with what they are supposedly trying to do. Now UT is saying that that wasn't their intention at all, to televise high school games. We'll see. At least we are talking about college football again hot and heavy.:thumbsup:
Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I was at a independent truck stop in south Georgia a few years ago where they had a local school on the TV. The local high school was considered one of the best in the nation, at the time. When I first started watching I thought that it was a college game.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I was at a independent truck stop in south Georgia a few years ago where they had a local school on the TV. The local high school was considered one of the best in the nation, at the time. When I first started watching I thought that it was a college game.
We have a couple of stations here in OK that cover high school football statewide on friday nights, it's great TV for those of us that are into high school sports. I wonder if it was Valdosta that you are talking about. They have been good for years.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Dwaun Anderson Basketball Profile - Suttons Bay 10-11 - MaxPreps

ck out the dunking video at the bottom of the page

we have a local kid getting lots of attendtion, and he's heading for MSU next year.
He's on YouTube and all the local media.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
We have a couple of stations here in OK that cover high school football statewide on friday nights, it's great TV for those of us that are into high school sports. I wonder if it was Valdosta that you are talking about. They have been good for years.

It coiuld have been, robertt. It was south of Werner Robbins, as I recall.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

ESPN is showing High School games now which is cool. It's Nationally ranked teams going at it so usually they aren't local to you or I but it's a great deal for those involved to get some national exposure. They usually show them on Espn2 of Friday nights. We were just happy to have a local radio station to cover ours along with the Charlottesville news stations for their Friday night highlights. Now we don't even have the local radio station anymore, they merged with another one who covered another counties games. Now neither of us are on the radio.......

Like I said, I hope it's just a rumor for UT to cover those games also on there because no way does the NCAA allow it. I can't see the Big 12 allowing it to happen anyways, not with their own network doing games. Will they force UT to go Indy then?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Here's the story:

Big 12 limits Texas' Longhorn Network plans ... for now - ESPN
Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Board Icon

Doesn't UT already own ABC?? :lol:
I'm just glad I have Dish Network now. When I had local basic cable, you couldn't watch any other primetime game on ABC. It was Texas, and usually some cupcake. I remember times the guys on TV, like John Saunders for an example would say, "Well, some of you will stay with us with USC and UCLA, and some of you others will see Texas and Southeastern Oklahoma St." (or somebody). I would think, "Ahhh man!! What a way to waste a Saturday night!" ('cause I knew there was no way they would broadcast a Pac 10, or any other if UT was playing on ABC) (my only hope was that there was an SEC game on CBS, or a good game on ESPN) Now with Dish, I can usually find the alternate channels. :lol:

As far as ESPN broadcasting high school games, I think that's cool. In fact, they broadcasted Greenwood high (outside of Fort Smith Ar). My cousin and her family live in Greenwood, and my cousins go to school there. Greenwood has good sports teams, from what I've heard.
I saw one of the Tulsa teams on ESPN one time. It was like watching a college game.

http://watsonsysco.com/