User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default BYU football

If this is true, WOW. I don't see it being a wise decision in money sense. You do get the chance to schedule whomever you want now for the whole season which can be good.

BYU's bold move: Independence? - College Football - Rivals.com
Old 08-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Board Icon

Yeah,... Wow! :hellno:
Notre Dame has done well in the last 'several' years as an independent, but the difference between Notre Dame and BYU, BYU has all their screws tightened.
When I was a kid, Notre Dame was a power house. The last few years have been wishy washy. I think BYU could compete with a lot of the big boys. They beat OU last year. :lol:
If I was independent, I would be in the BCS every year. :lol:
I can't figure out the BYU-TV. :hellno:

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 08-19-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: hit wrong button....
Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Board Icon

Well, ND should be in a BCS game every year if they could win all their games. Outside of military academies, they play nothing but top teams usually. I know sometimes they must wonder if it would be easier to jump whole hog into the Big East where they are a member in every sport BUT football. At least if they won the Big East they are guaranteed a BCS spot even if they lose a few games. Instead they must be inside the Top 8 in the BCS ranking to get a BCS bowl game, kinda hard to be in the Top 8 when you lose 2-3 games a year.

The TV deal is weird, they have BYU TV but apparently they would need to strike a national network deal if they wanted to expand their TV coverage in the US.

This could all be a huge hoax also. Colorado St had their twitter feed hijacked and had some posts about how BYU going Indy was a done deal already. A Salt Lake City paper is confirming everything as taking place but not a done deal yet.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
Well, ND should be in a BCS game every year if they could win all their games.
Isn't that kind of the point for every team? Of course they would be in a BCS bowl if they won them all, they would be playing for the National Championship every year due to their contract with the NCAA/AP or whatever. Then again, if they won ALL of their games, we wouldn't need a national championship and there would be no point to watching college football. Personally I think the national title game is held in Atlanta (SEC) every year and everyone else is just playing for second, but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Board Icon

Razor what I'm saying is, with ND's schedule and how they can load it up with top teams since they have no conference afilliation, they should always be playing for the National Title if they could get by without losing a couple of games. Other teams have to deal with playing conference opponents that flat out blow whereas ND could play the toughest schedule every year if they wanted to. They'd easily be far and away to #1 team then and we would not need a Title game.

As for the SEC, they are enjoying a good round of success right now, it won't stay that way. Look at the ACC, they were considered THE conference and right now they aren't as bad as everyone wants to believe but they are no longer viewed as THE conference. They simply knock one another off, the league has a ton of parity in it. Heck the Big 10 was considered THE conference for a few years as was the Big 12. It goes in cycles and right now that cycle is on the SEC.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Board Icon

I was listening to Rivals Radio last night, and they said that Utah went to the Pac-10? Is that right??
They also talked more about BYU. They pretty much said what your article said, Mr. Ford. Sounds like they are going independent. Gonna be interesting...

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Board Icon

Yes, Utah will leave the MWC for the Pac-10 after this season. Boise St is moving in to replace Utah from the WAC as are Fresno St and Nevada. Colorado is also joining the Pac-10 next year, spurning the Big 12.

I'm hearing Hawaii(WAC) may also go the Indy route in football now too, the rest of their sports would go to the WCC. Thing is, both Hawaii and BYU are up for a contract renewal this year to stay in the WAC and MWC. Hawaii going Indy makes a ton of sense vs BYU doing it, everyone would want to play them at home. Think what Bama did when they got put on Bowl suspension, they scheduled a late season game AT Hawaii and treated it as a Bowl game which angered the NCAA. Hawaii always has the worst schedule when it comes to away games. They can't simply hop on a bus and drive 2 hours to an away game like many other teams. They always have a minimum 4 hour flight, sometimes it's more like 8 hours when they have to fly to Louisiana Tech.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Board Member

they are afraid of Bosie State.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
they are afraid of Bosie State.
I'd be afraid of Boise St too, especially on their home turf. That blue field throws your depth perception way off. I think I heard that they are doing away with the blue and going green soon, is that true???
Old 08-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Board Icon

I haven't heard that Razor, not sure why they would do away with it. Since 1999 they are 68-1 at home on it. You also have 2 other schools, 1 is a D2 school and the other is a FCS school putting in Smurf Turf like Boise.

What I did hear was they replaced it with a newer verison just this past week because the old turf was causing the coaches to have problems reviewing tapes. It was causing a bad glare that even watching a game live you would notice. Per some players who got on it, it's even more blue.