User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bama National Champs

For about the third year in a row the a team from the Southeastern Conference has claimed the coveted title of National Champions, the best in college football wih Alabama taking home the prize by beating Texas 38-21. If Texas quarterback Colt McCoy hadn't gotten hurt early in the first quarter the Longhorns could have taken home the prize. Anyone watch this game and have any thoughts on it?
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Board Icon

Actually it's the 4th straight National Title that went to the SEC, made NCAA history with that one, no other conference had been able to get more than 3 straight.

With McCoy it would have been a closer final score but I do not think Texas wins even with him. Bama did only what they had to do and nothing more to win after McCoy went down. Remember, Texas had the ball twice on a very short field with McCoy out there, 36 yards on their first drive ended with a FG after 10 plays. Their second drive, yes McCoy went down hurt on like the 2nd or 3rd play but they had it first and goal at the 1 and failed to punch it in. The Texas D could not stop the Bama power running game, 2 backs over 100 yards just blowing thru the arm tackles. If they could have stopped that like they did Bama's passing game, then yeah they could have won with McCoy possibly.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Board Icon

I don't know..

From what I saw, Texas defense got ran over. Colt McCoy doesn't play on defense. I understand that the quarterback is the heartbeat of the offense, but I don't think it would have made any difference who was quarterbacking. Would Texas have had 4 picks, if Colt was playing? Don't know, but I will say this. Bama's secondary read Texas' offense like a book. Even if McCoy would have been in all night, I still don't think they would have been any better. Sure, the freshman qb had that bad shovel pass, but that could have happened to anyone. Especially when that pocket collapsed. McCoy, being the more experienced, he may have taken the sack, or tried to scramble, but the freshman quarterback did what he was told. Run a shovel pass.
I've never liked the Texas Longhorns. My mom's side of the family is from Arkansas. My dad's side is from Oklahoma, but I hated seeing McCoy going out. He is a fine young man! He is a great kid! I can't say the same for the rest of his team but I wished he could have stayed in.

On a side note.. My dumb mind went blank-the freshman quarterback for Texas. He's from Austin. He is the Texas high school all-time leading passer. I want to say that he threw for 12,000 some-odd yards in high school. I don't think he will have a problem filling Colt McCoy's shoes..

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 01-08-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member

McCoy's backup is Garrett Gilbert but I don't know where he's from. I used to hate Texas as well but when my daughter married a guy from Austin three years ago that all changed. My son-in-law's dad is a HUGE Texas Longhorn fan and got me on the bandwagon as well. Now I'm a rabid Longhorn fan! And like you pointed out Jackrabbit Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley are good, Christian young men and good kids.

When my granddaughter was born in November 2008 the hospital is just around the corner from Darrell Royal Stadium. Tommy, my daughter's father-in-law drove us past there while my daughter was in the hospital after giving birth to little Morgan. When we drove by that huge stadium I thought gosh, this is a sacred place. And even though Texas lost I'm glad that a Southeastern Conference team is now the national champs. HOOK 'EM HORNS!!
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Board Icon

Garrett Gilbert. I don't know why I couldn't remember his name..
He went to Austin Lake Travis. Big school. Big powerhouse. Like I said, he's the all-time leading passer. That says a lot, considering the number of high schools in the state of Texas.

I sure like McCoy. He's a good kid, and he comes from a great family.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Garrett Gilbert. I don't know why I couldn't remember his name..
He went to Austin Lake Travis. Big school. Big powerhouse. Like I said, he's the all-time leading passer. That says a lot, considering the number of high schools in the state of Texas.

I sure like McCoy. He's a good kid, and he comes from a great family.
Two things Texans know a lot about and they are football and oil.
"Talk to me Goose".
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer View Post
Two things Texans know a lot about and they are football and oil.
:lol:

and bull crap.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Senior Board Member

After the game was over there was the usual handshaking and congratulations by members of both teams. The cameras then focused on Bama running back and Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram who had his arm around Longhorn QB Colt McCoy who was injured early in the first quarter and didn't return because of a shoulder injury. McCoy was obviously upset and emotional after the game. The way Ingram was comforting and consoling McCoy showed nothing but PURE CLASS!!
"Talk to me Goose".