User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Loss of David Poole, Sirius Nascar Radio host

From the Charlote Observer

David Poole, an Observer reporter who became one of country’s leading authorities on NASCAR, died of a heart attack this afternoon. He was 50. Poole had just returned from last week’s race at Talledega. He was at his Stanfield home when the heart attack occurred. His daughter called 911. Emergency crews rushed him to the hospital in Stanly County, where he was pronounced dead. Poole, a Gastonia native, became the Observer’s NASCAR writer 13 years ago. He hosted "The Morning Drive" show weekday mornings on Sirius NASCAR Radio. He was a four-time winner of the National Motorsports Press Association’s George Cunningham Award as the organization's writer of the year. “He was the best in his field, there’s no doubt about that,” Observer editor Rick Thames said this afternoon in announcing Poole’s death to a hushed newsroom. Poole’s final column ran the day he died. In it he called the track at Talledega an “anachronism” after a day of dramatic crashes Sunday. “Talk about guys who own their beat, that’s what David did,” said Observer sports editor Mike Persinger.

My deepest condolences to the family of David Poole. I have spent many a morning listening to David on the Sirius "The Morning Drive" show. I may not have agreed with David on everything he said but he definately was a great host for the show. David will be sorely missed!!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Board Icon

Oh snap, I loved reading his articles and watching him ont he now defunct Pit Bull show or whatever it was on Speed. He always got fired up on that show with his fellow media people. He was a big guy, I'm certain that didn't help him health wise with his hectic schedule. He will be missed.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member

One of the few reasons I looked forward to the mornings.