User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What's happened to nascar?

I sure miss the cup cars and days of Richard, Cale, Dale, Neil, Bobby, Davey, Harry Gant, Alan K,Tim Richmond and many others that are still around or have left us in one way or another.
Anyone remember Mr Beatty's garage filled with confiscated parts? :lol:
And rubbing use to be racing when everyone accepted it for what it was, then settled things outside of their cars :wink:
Who is your favorite driver of all time an why :?:

I heard Vince McMahon has been hired to spice things up a bit on October 8th :shock: :P :lol: :lol:
Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Board Icon

Actually the downslide of Nascar started around 2003 when Brian France was handed the reigns.

My favorite driver was Davey Allison. He would have scored at least 2 Cups in his career had he not died. Jeff Gordon, my current favorite, would not have 4 Cups if Davey had still be around. Davey was like Jimmie Johnson has been in his career and what Jeff was earlier in his career but multiplied a few times. He could wheel that car on any track, definitely had his daddy's skills. Too bad Bobby was so hard headed when he was with Junior Johnson or he would have about 80 more victories to his name. Had great equipment and great talent but he threw it all away because him and Junior didn't see eye to eye a lot of times.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Actually the downslide of Nascar started around 2003 when Brian France was handed the reigns.

My favorite driver was Davey Allison. He would have scored at least 2 Cups in his career had he not died. Jeff Gordon, my current favorite, would not have 4 Cups if Davey had still be around. Davey was like Jimmie Johnson has been in his career and what Jeff was earlier in his career but multiplied a few times. He could wheel that car on any track, definitely had his daddy's skills. Too bad Bobby was so hard headed when he was with Junior Johnson or he would have about 80 more victories to his name. Had great equipment and great talent but he threw it all away because him and Junior didn't see eye to eye a lot of times.
I was a big Davey Fan as well. How could you not cheer for the Alabama gang since they were in the hunt on every superspeedway back in the day. Red Farmer was one heck of a crew chief. If I could reverse life, I would do it the day they got in the helicopter in Talladaga that's for sure.

nascar started going down hill when they decided to price the average blue collar working man out of the track and start courting the big money. You can't park your motorhome in turn one for less than $1000 or more after expenses.

IMO, plate racing really sux and DIS has been turned into a theme park with 3 lap shootouts. This article is interesting and explains how the track was very empty this July and that only 24 teams have secured a sponsor for the 2009 season. http://www.boston.com/business/artic...mping_economy/
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 AM
Rookie

Have you guys not seen Kyle Bush this year? He may be a punk, but he is on fire! And Carl Edwards? I hate that Mizzou loving sack o'crap, but the dude can drive. Times change in all sports, and in NASCAR, they just seem to change faster.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Board Icon

Kyle couldn't hold a candle to Davey Allison, the only current driver close is Jeff Gordon. Davey was whipping'em with a start up Robert Yates Racing team. Kyle is having the same type of year Newman had back in 2005 where he simply couldn't lose when it came money time. Won 8 or 9 races that year(think half were fuel mileage wins) but wasn't close to the title. You know why Kyle and Carl are winning so much, they have this new car figured out. Only a very few drivers have figured this car out on every track they run.

Actually things changed slowly in Nascar until Little France gained control. His father Bill would react and make changes but he researched it out before he did anything. He was about the fans and making sure they got their money's worth. Brian France could careless about the fans as long as his pockets keep getting lined with green. That is why they shoved California's 2nd date down our throats even though every media person in the world said it was a bad move.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Rookie

The good ole days wern't always so good, at least now every race is on TV. I agree about the 3 lap shootouts, I think Nascar should mandate if you are the cause of yellow within 5 laps of the finish you lose half your points for that particular race. Too many mid pack cars screwing it up and getting reckless and spoiling it for who really should have been the race winner with a few to go,( like Jr. at Richmond,he had that race in the bag but the restart allowed Busch to get back on him and take him out).

It's still pretty exciting, like when Harvick just nabbed Martin at Daytona a couple years ago. Davey was a driver for sure and so was Kulwicki they both could have gotten at least 3 or 4 Championships and then maybe Gordon wouldn't have so many now. I used to like DW, always thought his Western Auto car was cool looking and Rusty's black Genuine Draft car.
Rookie

The good ole days wern't always so good, at least now every race is on TV. I agree about the 3 lap shootouts, I think Nascar should mandate if you are the cause of yellow within 5 laps of the finish you lose half your points for that particular race. Too many mid pack cars screwing it up and getting reckless and spoiling it for who really should have been the race winner with a few to go,( like Jr. at Richmond,he had that race in the bag but the restart allowed Busch to get back on him and take him out).

It's still pretty exciting, like when Harvick just nabbed Martin at Daytona a couple years ago. Davey was a driver for sure and so was Kulwicki they both could have gotten at least 3 or 4 Championships and then maybe Gordon wouldn't have so many now. I used to like DW, always thought his Western Auto car was cool looking and Rusty's black Genuine Draft car.
Rookie

Old 08-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Board Icon

The part of the good ol days I miss is the "cheating" that went on. As long as it wasn't something dangerous that would hurt someone, Nascar really didn't care. You had guys running fuel lines thru the rollbars so the car would hold an extra gallon or two. Or the hidden switch on Rudd's car that he was going to use at 'Dega. Flip the switch and the back end dropped down, problem was it dropped too far and tore the rear end all up in testing. That was a step up from what it used to be with having little shims sitting under the car that would fall out during the race. Problem was, you didn't know when they might fall out. It was a huge game everyone played with one another and brought Nascar to where it is today with how fast the cars now go. Now Nascar shuns any type of creative genius while F1 only shuns those trying to copy-cat another team.

I truly believe that Roush pulled an old school move on Nascar this year and it worked because Nascar didn't want egg all over their face a few races later so they allowed it to continue. Roush was the first team with Edwards to run with the rear end kicked out, a reverse trick to the old Bobby Allison setup where you lead the right rear out. They started that at Las Vegas but it wasn't caught because everyone was flipping out about the oil lid cover being off. That is an old trick, put something they will find easily and get their mind on that in order to get something much worse past them. At Texas people had started to catch on that something was up when they tried to set their cars up loose and it wasn't working like it was for Roush. The old-timers on the teams knew right then what was going on and by the time they got to Richmond and Darlington, everyone was running that setup.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

all i wanna know is if they're ever going to introduce a circuit where they have to make right turns. nascar is so boring. indy racing league is real racing. rally cross is awesome, too!