Packers trade Favre to the Jets

Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Board Icon
Default Packers trade Favre to the Jets

he Brett Favre era in Green Bay officially came to an end late Wednesday night as the legendary longtime Packers quarterback was traded to the New York Jets, the Packers announced.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...ory?id=3522971

Thank goodness. Now we can get back to being the best damn football team in the universe.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:56 PM

Thank goodness. Now we can get back to being the best damn football team in the universe.

Ha Ha... Now that gave me a great morning laugh..
They have sucked wind ever since my equally sucking wind Broncos beat them in the Superbowl...

It is what it is...

Timberwolf

Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

I'm not a big sports guy, but here's my take:

Favre should have retired. The Packers offered him $25,000,000 to STAY retired. He should have retired after a good -no, great- career with a team and fans that loved hiim. He should have gone out on top.

Now he's going to decline into a washed-up quarterback in a city with no history with him. He won't go out as as a great. He'll go out as "was great with the Packers."

-p.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:52 PM

I can understand your point about his retirement, however I can also remember When Jacksonville came into Denver for a playoff game, Denver had home field advatange thoughout the playoffs and were favored to win big. They Lost. The media had a field day with John Elway and said it was time for him to retire, They said things like he never had what it took to win the big game and that he should just go away and let another quarterback try to get the team to the superbowl.
John himself has stated after that devestating loss he did consider retirement, but with the backing of his family he decided to play for one more season, the rest is history.. Back to Back Superbowl wins with the help of a great front line and back field. Brett can do the same in New York if all works right.
Never say Never.... it's not over until it's over..

Timberwolf

Old 08-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

So I guess Chad P. is out as the Jets quarterback. The media here are having a field day scrambling to get things together. :lol:

I think Brettt is too old, but Chad doesn't have Brett's arm. :roll: So, we'll see...

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Board Icon

Expect Favre to star in a football themed movie with the Loony Toons in the near future.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Favre absolutely screwed this whole thing up. I used to have a lot of respect for him...he acted like a complete punk in all of this. I'm glad he went to the Jets...the Jets suck wind and instead of going out on top, he'll go out on the bottom...UNLESS, of course, the Vikes now throw everything at the Jets to get him in Minnesota. Then the Green Bay D will absolutely kill him.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Rookie

The Jets trading him to the VikeQueens crossed my mind also, but I bet there was some clause in the trade that doesn't allow a trade to a NFC team

Old 08-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Senior Board Member

There's a small part of me that kinda feels bad for Brett. I think he's really struggling with retirement and it's hard to fault someone for that but he's not handling himself in a professional manner either. A lot of the greats struggle with it though, Johnny U, Joe Namath come to mind.

Speaking of Namath This one always cracks me up. Strruggalingg! :lol:

Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I think he's really struggling with retirement and it's hard to fault someone for that
Oh, I completely agree with that statement.

but he's not handling himself in a professional manner either
Yet, this is where I have a huge issue.

I don't disagree that the Packers dropped the ball here, either. Nor do I disagree that it was Ted Thompson's way of getting rid of a guy that wasn't "his", like Rodgers is.

But Favre's handing of the while thing has been abysmal at best. It's hard to continue to feel sorrow for him when he's acted like a jerk the whole time.

Reply Subscribe