User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dakar Rally cancelled

Due to a terrorist threat from al-Qaida. Organizer decided to cancel the entire event after French authorities found information of an imminent attack on the event somewhere along the Mauritania area of the course. This is the same area where 4 French people were just killed by terrorists. Sad but it's hard to try and keep a rolling caravan of 3,000 people safe in area's where there is nothing to protect you. This is nothing new to Robby Gordon who had a great chance of becoming the first American to win Dakar. He has raced Baja which can be just as bad as Dakar which has always had some type of threat from local militia's but nothing on this scale.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:57 AM
Board Regular

if people would use a little common sense, then thinks like this wouldnt get cancelled.

1 simple rule they should have lived by "if you see the guy in a turban or anone who looks like bin laden in the area arrest him and question him or run for the hills"

Im sorry but if i go to a nascar race and I see anyone in the stands wearing a turban I am gonna be really fishy about that person the whole time Im there
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Board Icon

The problem is that the area where the possible attack was to take place is a known "rough area" with nothing but criminals there. They knew this from past Rally's going thru there, so why not stop going there?? :roll: They had a threat last year against the Rally and another the year before but suddenly the French got intel of an attack and the Rally was called off. I'm not sure why Bin Laden's group would attack it, some of their own people race in it.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Board Regular

cuz bin laden and his boys are DEE DEE DEE