User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any hunters here??

It's getting to be that time of year up in my neck of the woods...huntin' season is right around the corner. This will be the first year for me where I'll have to work my hunting schedule around work itself, where in years past I'd be taking my holidays to get out in the field and have a hell of alot of fun with my best buddies.

If you hunt, what is it that you hunt and what do you use? i.e. bow, rifle muzzleloader, etc.

Most of my hunting is for waterfowl; ducks & geese(our season opens up on september the 8th!), but I try to go turkey hunting in october, deer hunting in november(rifle) Rabbit & coyote hunting during the winter(rifle&shotgun)and hopefully this spring, I will be going on my first black bear hunt(planning on using my shotgun with slugs for that hunt)

http://yankedriver.blogspot.com/
http://yankedriver2.blogspot.com/
Old 08-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Senior Board Member

When I was a kid, I lived with my mom for a year and a half, in Colorado.

I did alot of Coyote hunting. My friend would use a 12 gauge, one would use a 22 Long Rifle, and believ it or not, I would use a 5mm 20 cal-Pellet Rifle. It had more knock down than the 22 did, the way the pellets are designed!
I would also shoot big rats with it. Other than that I havn't been hunting in 18 years and fishing in 9. All I own are a 12 guage single shot, and a 1960 glenfield 22 long rifle, and a High velocity pellet gun 1000ft per sec.
I will be the judge
And the jury

Neil Peart
Old 08-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I hunt Whitetail and Partridge
Used to Bow hunt but don't do that lately-Just rifle.
Where do you hunt up there?
Roadkill will be along shortly I'm sure :P
I'm a Hunter-He's a Fanatic
Old 09-17-2006, 11:01 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Where do you hunt up there?
Man, I forgot all about this post!!

Well, Yoopr, I do most of my whitetail hunting in the western portion of Manitoba, Around the towns of Brandon, Virden and Minnedosa.(Brandon and Virden are just off hwy #1 and Minnedosa is on hwy #16) All my waterfowling is done north of Winnipeg at the lower basin of lake Winnipeg(in the Netley Marsh)

Got out for the day yesterday to shoot some birds and was pretty succesful for it being so early in the season. Got my limit of 5 Canada geese and was able to get 3 drake mallards(not as plump as I like them to be yet). I could have shot geese till the cows came home yesterday(there are thousands and thousands hanging around right now!!) but the limit is only 5 :sad:

I'm Gonna try and get out again tomorrow for 1 more shoot before I get dispatched out for tuesday morning.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Board Icon

Went out searching for Partridge for awhile on my property today-Flushed one but the Ferns are still up(Dying but still standing) and even though our leaves have changed there's too many.
One of my best friends lives west of you, Sask, and I'd love to go whitetail hunting there someday.

I'm going to go out to get in some late trout fishing this week-Splake on a lake about 15 miles from me and get in some Brook trout fishing on the creek running through the property-Bought a license and have barely used it.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:26 AM
Board Regular

Saskatchewan would be a great place for a whitetail hunt Yoopr...the worlds record for a typical whitetail came out of Biggar, Sask (typical score of 213 5/8th's B&C) That is one huge buck! I've always wanted to hunt pronghorn antelope in western sask, but that season is open to residents of the province only I believe. I feel the same way about my fishing licence...I've been out for only two days this summer on the labor day weekend, got into some heavy walleye action, but it was for only 2 days! It's ok though, I prefer my fishing like my beer... cold and on ice!! :lol: Should be able to get some ice fishing going here in about 2 months. Good luck with the partridge and the trout fishing!

The world record buck:

Is it Hungarian partridge you got down there??

Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 AM
Board Icon

Hell if I know if they're "Hungarian"-I don't do racial Profiling :P
Yeah-I think their proper name is Hungarian Partridge-They go in 10 yr. cycles and we just starting to get out of the Down cycle-Got more damned Wolves here than deer now.

SSS
Old 09-18-2006, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Livin' large in the Ozark mountains of western Arkansas

Hell Yoop, I know it's coming up on your time of year; hunting and ice fishing! And football at Lambeau! Can't beat it anywhere! As the Old Milwaukee Beer commercial used to say: "It doesn't get any better than this"! :moose:
"Talk to me Goose".
"What we're dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law," Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Friends don't let friends drive for C.R. England!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Board Regular

This is a hungarian partridge:

It's the same for me up here with the grouse...there hasn't been any in about three years and we're starting to see 'em come back now

Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
Roadkill will be along shortly I'm sure :P
I'm a Hunter-He's a Fanatic
:lol:
You can call me Buck Nuts.

I just Bow Hunt. I quit using guns some time back. Last time was when I use to hunt Mulies in the Sierra Nevada Mts. and the Trinity Mts. out in N. Ca. But Bow hunting has been my thing since I was 16 years old. Even shot some of my first arrows with Fred Bears help over in Grayling, Mi. just a short ways from my home. (back in the mid-60's) My cousin lives just a few miles from Bears store. I still have my '64 Bear Kodiak and my '69 Bear Super Magnum. A '70 Browing Cobra I, and a Indian Archery Mowhawk...all hunting recurves. The Magnum is 65 lbs. , but at my draw it is over 70-some.

I use my recurves as much as my compounds. I shoot the same. No sites...I'm an instinctive shooter, and a finger shooter. My compounds tend to be the 44 inch long models, because I am a finger shooter.

I am about to start my bait piles. I like to use corn, apples, or carrots. Maybe potatoes or sugar beets too. I have to try and leave alittle for the animals. I was going to set a stand today, but watched the Lion's get their ass kicked instead. I will have to go set this stand tomorrow, though. Our Bow season starts Oct. 1st.

I am always seeing Bucks the opening week, but rarely one I want to shoot at, and I've also learned the first Buck is never going to have anything to fear from me anyway. If you bow hunt...you know rule #1 is you must pick a tiny spot and focus. I am so busy admiring the Buck this close to me...I am looking at the whole Deer, and my arrow never touches them. It takes me awhile of being there and getting past the honeymoon period, before my focus and shot becomes good enough. I was more of a "serious hunter" when I was a young man...and had to prove myself. Now...most of the time I am admiring the Buck, and the moment so much...I either let the oppertunity pass, or rationalize it many other ways. You know...the sun got in my eye, and caused that tear. :P

As it gets closer to the Rut...I do get into the sport , and want to add my name on the list down at Dick's Tavern. I am a bit of a trophy hunter too. I have a 12-pointer that jumped my arrow last year. He is still around. I know his signs, and this year I am drawing him in closer. (under 20 yards)

I also have a new hunting area offered to me just last month from a family friend who has a horse ranch south of me about 15 miles. I haven't figured out the grounds there yet, or where I want to set up. I have one hell of a game trail there, and a lot of Bucks. I already saw over 20 deer in there. Nothing big...but there are a few.

Also, if I can force myself out of bed at 4am...I'll go down to the river dam a couple blocks from my house and fish King Salmon by 5 am til about 8-9am. Action has been slow there still, but it will pick up very soon.

Ssshhh....SNAP... aw crap...well....he was there alright. :lol: