Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Rules and Regulations and DAC, Oh My (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my-16/)
-   -   Failed pre-employment drug screen (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/rules-regulations-dac-oh-my/18971-failed-pre-employment-drug-screen.html)

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:14 AM

Failed pre-employment drug screen

OK. here's the deal. i am having an argument with another guy on classadrivers about this subject.

if you fail a pre-employment drug test, it will not go on you dac report because you are not employed by that company, hence pre-employment. he says that it will be on the dac report. i say it will not be on the dac report.

which is true?

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:17 AM

I think it will be. One of the most prominent questions on any application is "have you ever failed a pre-employment drug screen?" I am pretty sure they report if you have.

Fozzy 07-23-2006 04:24 AM

Why wouldnt it? Although you are not techincally employed during the orientation, you are taking a federally mandated drug screen that they are paying for. They are offering you employment on condition that you can pass the physical and drug screen, If you fail one or both, they should have the right to place this information in the DAC. It's not a lie, it's not libel, its the truth.

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:25 AM

just because a job application asks if you have ever failed a drug test does not answer the question of whether it goes on your dac or not. why would they report it to dac if you are not an employee of theirs?

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:30 AM

I believe when you fill out a application for companies the information you enter is put on the dac when they request your dac. Just like a credit bureau updates your phone and address each time they request a credit check!

mpwelsh007 07-23-2006 04:34 AM

it is obvious that if one is to fail a drug screen while you are employed with the company then it would go on the DAC for sure. i believe that if you have not been hired by the company, PRE-employment, and you fail the PRE-employment drug screen you are just disqualified for the position. i don't think that would be reported to DAC. why would they? you are not employed by them. you are nothing to them, just an applicant.

worldisnotenough 07-23-2006 04:40 AM

okay fine. I have posted what I believe to be the truth in this matter. I could be wrong but I have talked to others about this and I believe the industry as a whole follows the procedures I have stated. If you want to say I am wrong, that is fine. I personally would not want to chance it though. If you read all the post's of people going to orientation and training only to get a bus ticket back home if they are lucky because they didn't disclose something about something like this. Just my opinion but I tend to believe that you walk by the truth in such things and not doing so possibly can lead to problematic actions.

Rokk 07-23-2006 04:46 AM

however, when you apply with any trucking compay, you sign a release form that covers Alchohol and drug reporting from previous history.

Yes if you fail a pre-employment drug screen even a conditional one, it is reported to dac. it becomes part of your permanent record. an employer explained this proccess one time and he stated, its the companies position to report it, so that other prospective companies have this information.

steps further, if a company registers you for orientation, and you dont show up, that also goes on your dac as a no show if they are a dac reporting company. these types of instances happen to drivers all the time, not because they wanted to work for a company, but because they even so much as talked to a recruiter on the pjone for a company, then an over zealous recruiter sets them up unknown to the prospective driver. the driver generally doesnt find this out until later down the road when he shows up for an orientation at another company of his own choosing. its instances such as this that can cause driver havoc trying to get junk like this off your dac.

as for the drug tes and pre-employment. if you fail it at orientation, its on the dac from then on out. the trucking companies help police each other via dac. they are going to report the failure and kick you out of orientation.

Rawlco 07-23-2006 05:00 AM

Once you show up at orientation you are officially hired by the company. In order to drive you must then pass all of the requirements. They aren't going to spend any money on you until you are hired and physically present. Once it is their money being spent on you they can report the results to anyone that asks.

Look at it this way. Pre-employment stuff is what can be taken care of by phone, e-mail, or fax. If it really was a "pre-employment" drug screen then you would need to send in a sample with your application. :lol:

Here is the easy solution: Don't fail any drug tests. It isn't rocket science. :roll:

Fozzy 07-23-2006 05:13 AM

Why shouldn't a failed drug test be put on a DAC? Think of the money saved by other companies and the safety issue of keeping some low forehead druggie off the road? I think its more a professional etiquette thing. It makes perfect sense for these companies to protect each other and the motoring public from someone so stupid as to show up to a interview with drugs in their systems. :P

joesmoe 07-23-2006 04:44 PM

I just took a pre employment drug test/physical last week.

I was specificaly told over the phone that if I fail the drug test it will be reported

jiptwoo 07-23-2006 11:19 PM

No matter what you think, all; I said all companies report to dac that a person has failed a pre-employment drug screen. So If you failed a drug test , I 100% gurantee it will be on your dac report and there is nothing you can do about it. Believe what you want, but go fail a test and you'll see your opinion ain't sh--.

Useless 07-24-2006 02:38 AM

One way to find out for certain is to smoke some weed, report to a company for orientation, take the drug test, fail it, then see what happens!!
:P

Windwalker 07-24-2006 03:32 AM

Once you are told to go for your pre-employment drug screening, you ARE CONDITIONALLY HIRED by the company. Things that they are not permitted to ask you on your original application CAN be covered once they accept your application. And, they most certainly CAN put it on your DAC.

mpwelsh007 07-25-2006 08:46 PM

ok.. i know all situations are different, but this is one. a friend of mine has failed the pre-employment drug test for a company within the last month. he ordered his DAC/USIS and the drug test nor anything from the company is reported. so, yes maybe if you fail the pre-employment drug test for company X it will be reported, but if you fail it for company Y it won't be. he is very lucky that it was not reported. IMHO i agree with the majority who have posted here. stay the hell away from drugs if you're going to be a DRIVER. there is no room for drugs in the industry. thanks for all the posts guys!

toner 07-25-2006 09:54 PM

i work doing verifications for a trucking company and so i can say for certain, if someone fails a pre-employment drug screen and that company reports employment information to dac, it will show up. also a 'refuse to submit' is registered as a positive.

easiest way to avoid all this? :idea: don't do any drugs! i agree with the above poster, it's not rocket science. :idea:

orevgym 07-26-2006 07:19 PM

Benzo's

When there is a drug test, does the tester/company test for bezodiazapines like xanax and prsom?

Windwalker 07-26-2006 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpwelsh007
ok.. i know all situations are different, but this is one. a friend of mine has failed the pre-employment drug test for a company within the last month. he ordered his DAC/USIS and the drug test nor anything from the company is reported. so, yes maybe if you fail the pre-employment drug test for company X it will be reported, but if you fail it for company Y it won't be. he is very lucky that it was not reported. IMHO i agree with the majority who have posted here. stay the hell away from drugs if you're going to be a DRIVER. there is no room for drugs in the industry. thanks for all the posts guys!

I'll give you two possibilities. One, it didn't get entered yet. Two, the company does not deal with DAC and will not report it.

Fact remains, when you are told to report to a pre-employment drug screening, you have been "conditionally hired".

slamcat 08-07-2006 08:44 PM

Quote:

i work doing verifications for a trucking company and so i can say for certain, if someone fails a pre-employment drug screen and that company reports employment information to dac, it will show up. also a 'refuse to submit' is registered as a positive.

easiest way to avoid all this? :idea: don't do any drugs! i agree with the above poster, it's not rocket science. :idea:
It will only show up if the company in which the candidate failed the pre-screen submitted that fact to DAC (which they are bound to by regulations). So, as long as the company is practicing its due diligence, it does show up on the report.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 06:04 AM

What about your right to privacy?

According to the DOT regulations handbook.No employer ,lab or mro can release a driver test results for pre employment. There is a right to privacy. I had a false positive, I know this because I haven't touch THC in years. I think it had to do with Ibueprophen. I took several 800 mg tablets a day.
I tried to tell the MRO this and he said it wasn't possible. I will not take any for my next test and I'm sure it will be fine. If the failed test gets put on my DAC ,I will need a lawyer. I would not take a pre employment test knowing I was dirty. I guess some people do and that is what will bite me. Read about your rioght to privacy then let me know if you think it will be put on a DAC report.

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Subpart B - Employer Responsibilities

? 40.25 Must an employer check on the drug and alcohol testing record of employees it is intending to use to perform safety-sensitive duties?

(j) As the employer, you must also ask the employee whether he or she has tested positive, or refused to test, on any pre-employment drug or alcohol test administered by an employer to which the employee applied for, but did not obtain, safety-sensitive transportation work covered by DOT agency drug and alcohol testing rules during the past two years. If the employee admits that he or she had a positive test or a refusal to test, you must not use the employee to perform safety-sensitive functions for you, until and unless the employee documents successful completion of the return-to-duty process (see paragraphs (b)(5) and (e) of this section).
When the FMCSA investigates drivers who tested positive and it is discovered the driver failed to have the necessary SAP referral, return to duty drug test, and minimum of six follow-up tests in 12 months the driver can be penalized for failing to comply, be terminated by their present employer, and face charges for Part 390.35 for falsifying the questionnaire.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info rookie

How does the FMCSR find out because no one can tell them. Right to Privacy. I know what your saying about not telling the truth on an application, atomatic disqualification.

kc0iv 09-30-2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myth_Buster
When the FMCSA investigates drivers who tested positive and it is discovered the driver failed to have the necessary SAP referral, return to duty drug test, and minimum of six follow-up tests in 12 months the driver can be penalized for failing to comply, be terminated by their present employer, and face charges for Part 390.35 for falsifying the questionnaire.

Be safe.

FMCSA doesn't investigate drug test. This is part of the joke with the Feds.

kc0iv

syl77dar 09-30-2006 01:18 PM

goodluck

goodluck

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 05:00 PM

terryj9351

Quote:

How does the FMCSR find out because no one can tell them. Right to Privacy. I know what your saying about not telling the truth on an application, atomatic disqualification.
Quote:

? 40.321 What is the general confidentiality rule for drug and alcohol test information?

Except as otherwise provided in this subpart, as a service agent or employer participating in the DOT drug or alcohol testing process, you are prohibited from releasing individual test results or medical information about an employee to third parties without the employee's specific written consent.

(a) A ?third party? is any person or organization to whom other subparts of this regulation do not explicitly authorize or require the transmission of information in the course of the drug or alcohol testing process.

? 40.323 May program participants release drug or alcohol test information in connection with legal proceedings?

(a) As an employer, you may release information pertaining to an employee's drug or alcohol test without the employee's consent in certain legal proceedings.

(1) These proceedings include a lawsuit (e.g., a wrongful discharge action), grievance (e.g., an arbitration concerning disciplinary action taken by the employer), or administrative proceeding (e.g., an unemployment compensation hearing) brought by, or on behalf of, an employee and resulting from a positive DOT drug or alcohol test or a refusal to test (including, but not limited to, adulterated or substituted test results).

(2) These proceedings also include a criminal or civil action resulting from an employee's performance of safety-sensitive duties, in which a court of competent jurisdiction determines that the drug or alcohol test information sought is relevant to the case and issues an order directing the employer to produce the information. For example, in personal injury litigation following a truck or bus collision, the court could determine that a post-accident drug test result of an employee is relevant to determining whether the driver or the driver's employer was negligent. The employer is authorized to respond to the court's order to produce the records.

(b) In such a proceeding, you may release the information to the decisionmaker in the proceeding (e.g., the court in a lawsuit). You may release the information only with a binding stipulation that the decisionmaker to whom it is released will make it available only to parties to the proceeding.

(c) If you are a service agent, and the employer requests its employee's drug or alcohol testing information from you to use in a legal proceeding as authorized in paragraph (a) of this section (e.g., the laboratory's data package), you must provide the requested information to the employer.

(d) As an employer or service agent, you must immediately notify the employee in writing of any information you release under this section.

? 40.331 To what additional parties must employers and service agents release information?

As an employer or service agent you must release information under the following circumstances:

(a) If you receive a specific, written consent from an employee authorizing the release of information about that employee's drug or alcohol tests to an identified person, you must provide the information to the identified person. For example, as an employer, when you receive a written request from a former employee to provide information to a subsequent employer, you must do so. In providing the information, you must comply with the terms of the employee's consent.

(b) If you are an employer, you must, upon request of DOT agency representatives, provide the following:

(1) Access to your facilities used for this part and DOT agency drug and alcohol program functions.

(2) All written, printed, and computer-based drug and alcohol program records and reports (including copies of name-specific records or reports), files, materials, data, documents/documentation, agreements, contracts, policies, and statements that are required by this part and DOT agency regulations. You must provide this information at your principal place of business in the time required by the DOT agency.

(3) All items in paragraph (b)(2) of this section must be easily accessible, legible, and provided in an organized manner. If electronic records do not meet these standards, they must be converted to printed documentation that meets these standards.

(c) If you are a service agent, you must, upon request of DOT agency representatives, provide the following:

(1) Access to your facilities used for this part and DOT agency drug and alcohol program functions.

(2) All written, printed, and computer-based drug and alcohol program records and reports (including copies of name-specific records or reports), files, materials, data, documents/documentation, agreements, contracts, policies, and statements that are required by this part and DOT agency regulations. You must provide this information at your principal place of business in the time required by the DOT agency.

(3) All items in paragraph (c)(2) of this section must be easily accessible, legible, and provided in an organized manner. If electronic records do not meet these standards, they must be converted to printed documentation that meets these standards.

(d) If requested by the National Transportation Safety Board as part of an accident investigation, you must provide information concerning post-accident tests administered after the accident.

(e) If requested by a Federal, state or local safety agency with regulatory authority over you or the employee, you must provide drug and alcohol test records concerning the employee.

(f) Except as otherwise provided in this part, as a laboratory you must not release or provide a specimen or a part of a specimen to a requesting party, without first obtaining written consent from ODAPC. If a party seeks a court order directing you to release a specimen or part of a specimen contrary to any provision of this part, you must take necessary legal steps to contest the issuance of the order (e.g., seek to quash a subpoena, citing the requirements of ?40.13 ). This part does not require you to disobey a court order, however.
The confidentiality applies to third parties, not the US DOT.

kc0iv

Quote:

FMCSA doesn't investigate drug test. This is part of the joke with the Feds.

kc0iv
If you say so, 8)

Drivers may be located by their CDL number or name from the roadside database. It takes little effort to locate a driver who has had an inspection. The employer is then contacted to verify the driver reported the positive test and has all of the required information. Other sources include the driver?s application with all of the required contact information.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 06:00 PM

Stay on topic guys,we are talking about pre employment.

You are not going to list a company on a applicaqtion that you never worked for,right. Anyone is third party if it's not the employer,lab,or the MRO. The company you applied for employment with is not going to get a request for information because they are not on your next application.
Anyone that fails a radom is in trouble,because that was a test for a present employer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 06:34 PM

terryj9351

Quote:

You are not going to list a company on a applicaqtion that you never worked for,right.
A driver who holds a Class A CDL is required to provide 10 years of employment history on an application and a carrier is required to confirm three years of employment history regardless of who the driver worked for. If you worked for Sam Jones Trucking from January 2006 - September 2006 you would list Sam Jones Trucking on any application you filled out. Sam Jones Trucking is required to keep a record of who called to confirm your employment. Therefore Sam Jones could provide a list of carriers who inquired about your employment after a postive pre-employment test was discovered.

Quote:

Anyone is third party if it's not the employer,lab,or the MRO.
No, the US DOT is not a third party and has access to all records:

Quote:

? 40.331 To what additional parties must employers and service agents release information?

As an employer or service agent you must release information under the following circumstances:

(a) If you receive a specific, written consent from an employee authorizing the release of information about that employee's drug or alcohol tests to an identified person, you must provide the information to the identified person. For example, as an employer, when you receive a written request from a former employee to provide information to a subsequent employer, you must do so. In providing the information, you must comply with the terms of the employee's consent.

(b) If you are an employer, you must, upon request of DOT agency representatives, provide the following:

(3) All items in paragraph (b)(2) of this section must be easily accessible, legible, and provided in an organized manner. If electronic records do not meet these standards, they must be converted to printed documentation that meets these standards.

(c) If you are a service agent, you must, upon request of DOT agency representatives, provide the following:

(3) All items in paragraph (c)(2) of this section must be easily accessible, legible, and provided in an organized manner. If electronic records do not meet these standards, they must be converted to printed documentation that meets these standards.

(d) If requested by the National Transportation Safety Board as part of an accident investigation, you must provide information concerning post-accident tests administered after the accident.

(e) If requested by a Federal, state or local safety agency with regulatory authority over you or the employee, you must provide drug and alcohol test records concerning the employee.

(f) Except as otherwise provided in this part, as a laboratory you must not release or provide a specimen or a part of a specimen to a requesting party, without first obtaining written consent from ODAPC. If a party seeks a court order directing you to release a specimen or part of a specimen contrary to any provision of this part, you must take necessary legal steps to contest the issuance of the order (e.g., seek to quash a subpoena, citing the requirements of ?40.13 ). This part does not require you to disobey a court order, however.
terryj9351

Quote:

The company you applied for employment with is not going to get a request for information because they are not on your next application.
No, however, the carrier you worked for last will have a record of all contacts.

Lets say you applied to ABC Trucking and you had a positive pre-employment drug test. When you filled out the application for ABC Trucking you listed your previous employer Sam Jones Trucking, your address, CDL number, home phone, etc. If the FMCSA discovered the positive pre-employment drug test they could use your CDL and employment history listed to find you and discover whether or not you had the required SAP, return to duty, and six follow-up tests as required.

terryj9351

Quote:

Anyone that fails a radom is in trouble,because that was a test for a present employer. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Drugs and trucks don't mix, there are investigative tools available for a driver to be found regardless of when the driver tested positive.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 08:26 PM

If this ,If That. What if,. Does anyone really Know.

If the Dot inspection comes to a company for an inspection they want records on present employees. If you contact my past employer's I haven't failed a test. I am concerned about a company releasing private information to DAC. I had a false positive for a company that I decided I didn't want to work for before the test results came back. I know it looks bad but I argued the results of the test. To me I'm not guilty of any wrong doing unless proven otherwise. What does and can a company legally do about a driver that fails a pre employment test, if they argue the results ,but don't go to work for that company.

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 08:59 PM

terryj9351

Quote:

If this ,If That. What if,. Does anyone really Know.
Only what I know of, my post are based on facts I am familiar with.

Quote:

If the Dot inspection comes to a company for an inspection they want records on present employees.
Positive test reports must be retained for five years. Drivers who tested positive are always a concern. DQ files must be retained for three years. Because of the rate of turn over at some carriers all drivers are reviewed. FYI, a carrier is rated based on their last complete year of random testing, i.e. in September 2006 the random testing program for 2005 would be evaluated. The number of pre-employment drug test examined is based on the number of new hires.

Records are examined based on issues discovered. Why look at drivers who tested negative if there are two or three positive drivers?

Quote:

If you contact my past employer's I haven't failed a test.
No, but they can provide information on who asked about your employment history.

Quote:

What does and can a company legally do about a driver that fails a pre employment test,
Retain the positive test result for five years and the driver qualification file for three years.

Quote:

if they argue the results ,but don't go to work for that company.
The MRO has the final say, it doesn't matter what the driver argues. The driver's only option is to request the split sample be sent to a different lab for evaluation. If the split comes back clean, no problem. If the split comes back positive case closed positive test.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 09:24 PM

So they keep a record for 5 years.

Unless you apply again with this company again or tell another company that you applied with them. They just keep it in there records for 5 years.
It wouldn't be an issue for another company. They might even see that this other company requested your DAC record, but that doesn't mean anything. They can't legal report it to DAc unless it is requested and then they have to have written consent. The Right to Privacy is the law unless you break the law. Failing a pre employment drug test isn't illegal as far as I know. Feed me more info if you can. I need to know as much as I can before seeking employment. I will test myself before I ever apply for another company. Nothing ,not even prescription med will ever enter my body again. Everyone needs to read up on Ibuprofen as a med that causes a false positive for THC. I'm a believer. Thanks for the help in sorting this mess out.

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 10:16 PM

terryj9351, you're not getting it. Once a driver test positive there are regulatory requirements that must be met. If the driver fails to meet those requirements then the driver faces prosecution.

It doesn't matter what DAC does, DAC is not the regulating body.

Quote:

? 40.285 When is a SAP evaluation required?

(a) As an employee, when you have violated DOT drug and alcohol regulations, you cannot again perform any DOT safety-sensitive duties for any employer until and unless you complete the SAP evaluation, referral, and education/treatment process set forth in this subpart and in applicable DOT agency regulations. The first step in this process is a SAP evaluation.

(b) For purposes of this subpart, a verified positive DOT drug test result, a DOT alcohol test with a result indicating an alcohol concentration of 0.04 or greater, a refusal to test (including by adulterating or substituting a urine specimen) or any other violation of the prohibition on the use of alcohol or drugs under a DOT agency regulation constitutes a DOT drug and alcohol regulation violation.
Drivers that fail to heed this warning face prosecution and termination from their present employer when the DOT starts investigating.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 11:10 PM

I get it, for an employee

I wasn't their employee, I was unemployed and still am. No company owns me until I'm officially hired. If you are disqualified at any point you are disqualified from possible employment. I don't think your an employee at any point until you fully qualify for that job and then you are hired. Give me more I am opened mined on the whole subject. If you apply for any job and fail the pre employment test ,you are not eligable for employment now or in the future. That includes mining, logging, fishing.Explain why this is different.

Myth_Buster 09-30-2006 11:20 PM

Un Terry, you had a positive test. When you go to work for the other trucking company you are now an employee. As such you are now required to have all of the requirements fulfilled before you can perform a safety sensitive function.

Hello.

Quote:

? 40.285 When is a SAP evaluation required?

(a) As an employee, when you have violated DOT drug and alcohol regulations, you cannot again perform any DOT safety-sensitive duties for any employer until and unless you complete the SAP evaluation, referral, and education/treatment process set forth in this subpart and in applicable DOT agency regulations. The first step in this process is a SAP evaluation.
Once a driver test positive they are prohibited from driving any truck until they have fulfilled the requirements of the regulation.

You do see the words "ANY EMPLOYER" don't you?

Nice try, but the regulations covered that possible loop hole.

Test positive? You're done, poke him with a fork.

Be safe.

terryj9351 09-30-2006 11:46 PM

Yes as an employee

If I go to work or am employeed by another company. I have allready past a pre employment test. I have not failed a test while employeed by a company. There are a list of safety sensitive occupations and if you fail the pre employment test you just can't get hired by that company. I Know you can go to the next and pass theirs and you are hired. It's just like the time I didn't qualify for a job because I mentioned having a bad Knee. It wasn't on my DOT physical or on my application so I was disqualified. I ain't going to put it down on a DOT or application because no one would hire me. I did get another job, the knee held up ,never had a problem and no one was the wiser. It's just like scratching a truck, you never admit it,if you do you'll get fired and have a hard time getting another job. This is a industry of lies, tell me I'm wrong.

lonewolf 10-01-2006 12:10 AM

trust me terry,he knows what he is talking about,right myth_buster? :lol:

terryj9351 10-01-2006 02:57 AM

O.K. so me the rules for pre employment

Show me the rules for d&a testing in regard to pre employment. Beside the fact that it has to be performed ,we all know that. I'm talking about
the rules on failing a pre employment other than the part that you can't perform for that employer. Show me the one that says if you fail it becomes a part of your history, that the employer can call everyone they no and tell them and you must go to a SAP. Come on guys I almost beleive it. I just can't find it in black and white.

Myth_Buster 10-01-2006 03:27 AM

Thanks lonewolf, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Terry:

Quote:

If I go to work or am employeed by another company. I have allready past a pre employment test. I have not failed a test while employeed by a company.
Yes, you have a negative pre-employment test. However, you have a positive drug test. Therefore, you are required to see a SAP, have a return to duty test, and six follow-up tests. That is why employers must ask:

Quote:

? 40.25 Must an employer check on the drug and alcohol testing record of employees it is intending to use to perform safety-sensitive duties?

(j) As the employer, you must also ask the employee whether he or she has tested positive, or refused to test, on any pre-employment drug or alcohol test administered by an employer to which the employee applied for, but did not obtain, safety-sensitive transportation work covered by DOT agency drug and alcohol testing rules during the past two years. If the employee admits that he or she had a positive test or a refusal to test, you must not use the employee to perform safety-sensitive functions for you, until and unless the employee documents successful completion of the return-to-duty process (see paragraphs (b)(5) and (e) of this section).
Quote:

There are a list of safety sensitive occupations and if you fail the pre employment test you just can't get hired by that company.
Part 40 applies to all modes of transportation, Part 382 applies to highway transportation. Part 382 has defined "Safety Sensitive Function:"

Quote:

?382.107 Definitions.

Words or phrases used in this part are defined in ??386.2 and 390.5 of this subchapter, and ?40.3 of this title, except as provided in this section-

Safety-sensitive function means all time from the time a driver begins to work or is required to be in readiness to work until the time he/she is relieved from work and all responsibility for performing work. Safety-sensitive functions shall include:

(1) All time at an employer or shipper plant, terminal, facility, or other property, or on any public property, waiting to be dispatched, unless the driver has been relieved from duty by the employer;

(2) All time inspecting equipment as required by ??392.7 and 392.8 of this subchapter or otherwise inspecting, servicing, or conditioning any commercial motor vehicle at any time;

(3) All time spent at the driving controls of a commercial motor vehicle in operation;

(4) All time, other than driving time, in or upon any commercial motor vehicle except time spent resting in a sleeper berth (a berth conforming to the requirements of ?393.76 of this subchapter);

(5) All time loading or unloading a vehicle, supervising, or assisting in the loading or unloading, attending a vehicle being loaded or unloaded, remaining in readiness to operate the vehicle, or in giving or receiving receipts for shipments loaded or unloaded; and

(6) All time repairing, obtaining assistance, or remaining in attendance upon a disabled vehicle.
Quote:

I Know you can go to the next and pass theirs and you are hired.
You gained employment under false pretenses, the employer will terminate your employment once it is discovered you tested positive.

Quote:

It's just like the time I didn't qualify for a job because I mentioned having a bad Knee. It wasn't on my DOT physical or on my application so I was disqualified.
You revealed additional information not required by the FMCSR. That was a personal choice.

Quote:

I ain't going to put it down on a DOT or application because no one would hire me.
If the employer offers you the questionnaire as required by Part 40.25(j) and you answer "NO." You have violated the FMCSR and may be prosecuted for:

1. Driving without a SAP referral
2. Falsifying a form required by the FMCSR In-accordance-with Part 390.35

Quote:

I did get another job, the knee held up ,never had a problem and no one was the wiser.
Happy things worked out. However, the knee issue is not the same as failing to disclose a positive drug test.

Quote:

It's just like scratching a truck, you never admit it,if you do you'll get fired and have a hard time getting another job.
Perhaps you're correct you may not get another truck driving job. However, in my opinion that's a good thing. I don't believe that drivers who tested positive belong on the road.

Quote:

This is a industry of lies, tell me I'm wrong.
Where does the lying begin? Look in the mirror for the base of the problem.

Be safe.

Twilight Flyer 10-02-2006 01:01 PM

There is another thing to consider, too. Each company is different. Some will consider employment beginning the moment you show up for orientation that first day and take your drug test. In this case, it will show up on DAC, as well as on your employment history at your local unemployment office.

Other companies won't consider you an employee until you take your first load and will not report it to DAC. However, in those cases, the information is stored for later release as necessary. Right now, every company must release drug & alcohol testing information for the past 3 years on every employee check. If the time comes that DOT requires the same on pre-employment tests (and it likely will soon), those reports will likely be retroactive. That means your employee could receive that positive drug test, resulting in your termination and removal from the industry for quite some time.

Full disclosure is always the best bet. It may make getting a job more difficult but at least you don't have to worry about someone opening the closet and finding the skeleton, which would be infinitely worse.

heritage92rs 10-03-2006 06:09 PM

Ok, everything is pretty close here, just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

You are not hired until you SEAT a truck. Just going to orientation has no guarantee that you will drive for that company.

If you go to orientation and take a drug screen and a physical, you are DAC'd, granted that the company reports to DAC. Even if they don't, wherever you go to drive after that will contact the company that you failed the drug screen at, and you'll more than likely still have to deal with that situation. If you don't say that you went to the company's orientation and your new company finds out, falsified application comes into play.

Not every company reports to DAC instantly, some take up to 6 months to update a DAC report. Some take 1 week, everyone is different.

Big John 10-06-2006 05:55 AM

I think some of you are smoking Pot and should quit before you get pulled for a random test. :D

If you have positive drug screen the company should have the right to call the law and have your dumb a$$ arrested, spend a year in jail, pay a huge fine, have your CDL taken away for life and have your a$$ kicked for doing drugs in the first place. Then I think we would have safer roads.

Just one of your fellow drivers that is drug free.