User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fifth wheel position

Hello all. I have a truck that the previous owners installed a 120" Star Class sleeper on it, but did not stretch the frame and instead moved the fifthwheel rearward. The result is that the centerline of the kingpin is 8" behind the centerline of the rear axle. The Chassis is a 1990 FLD 120, with a 144" wheelbase, fifthwheel height of 48" and 22.5 11R tires and scaled to 19,600lbs. My company hauls 53' dry van, and a variety of goods, with weights of 45,000 at times. My company is concerned about the truck being able to properly scale a loaded trailer and I was wondering if anyone out there has documentation about their trucks set up in a similar manner, and how they were able to scale their loads. Things like scale tickets showing gross and axle weights, the type of trailer used, truck weight and where the fifthwheel is in relation to the rear axle. Also, any rules or regulations that come into play with regards to the fifthwheel being moved to such a position. I appreciate any help in this matter. Here is a picture of the setup, mine is the blue with black wheels. I have hooked to the trailers we have on the yard and they do clear the back of the sleeper without making contact in turns and uphill turns... but not by much, heh.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1448[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150625_0003.jpg (94.4 KB, 0 views)