LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2015, 02:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Yes. They must be on the listing.
Correct. The doctor giving you your physical has to be on the national registry of FMCSA certified physicians, whether it is in your state of Ohio or any other state.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:28 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
You know as well as I do why.. most cars are not hauling 40 tons of other people's property.. There has been more and more calls over the last few years for truckers to have no standards other than what the four wheelers get to do.. it's just sad.. but in America I expect nothing more.. higher standards are simply too bothersome for Americans anymore.. MOST people (four wheelers) get more regular sleep, exercise, and eat better than most truck drivers..but if you think there should be no higher standards for professional drivers, I'd say that it is the norm for people these days.
I'd like to see your evidence to back up that people in cars get more sleep. Especially since most I know commute 1+ hour one way, work 8 hours, "play" for 4-6 hours after work to include watch tv, have social calendars they attend is church, school events for kids. Most would admit to getting 4-6 hours of sleep on average.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
You know as well as I do why.. most cars are not hauling 40 tons of other people's property.. There has been more and more calls over the last few years for truckers to have no standards other than what the four wheelers get to do.. it's just sad.. but in America I expect nothing more.. higher standards are simply too bothersome for Americans anymore.. MOST people (four wheelers) get more regular sleep, exercise, and eat better than most truck drivers..but if you think there should be no higher standards for professional drivers, I'd say that it is the norm for people these days.
There is no evidence, that I am aware, that those driving 4 wheelers get more sleep and eat better than truckers. I have been spending a lot of time at home the last year or so. I don't get any more sleep when home than on the road. My body doesn't seem to require that much sleep. I am usually up at 5 or 6 either way. I also don't know that I eat better at home than on the road. We all make choices. I have gotten better with my choices at home lately. When I am on the road, I often eat an omelette for breakfast and substitute fruit for potatoes. It is a personal choice. 4 wheelers are the cause of many times more accidents involving trucks than are truckers. I can agree than many drivers do make poor nutrition choices, but that is their decision. I don't think their poor choices began when they started driving a truck.

I don't see that we should be more regulated than 4 wheelers. There are way too many regulations on both, especially truckers. There is no proof that most regulations thrust upon the trucking industry have made a difference in safety. In fact, there has been some evidence to the contrary, such as mandatory elogs. There may be more opportunities for those driving 4 wheelers to get more exercise, but I see just as many fat people at the local grocery store or restaurant as I do in a truck stop.

According to a recent report by the media, most people are sleep deprived in this country. I don't know if that is really the case. I think it may be that more are distracted by their technology than really being sleep deprived. Whether you drive an 18 wheeler or 4 wheeler, you make a choice as to how much sleep you receive and what you put in your mouth. Granted, it can be a little more challenging driving a truck, but it is still a personal choice. I am not fat. I weigh the same now as I did 35 years ago. It is a personal choice. I should get more exercise, but that would be true whether I drive a truck or sit at home. I do get some exercise pulling a step deck.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Rookie

First off trucks in the US don't haul 40 tons of freight, they haul 20 tons and a bit. Next, it doesn't matter if you're in good health or not, the government just wants their fees from every angle available. Doctors are now a new revenue stream, and they (politicians) will continue to find new and creative ways to appease lobbyists and tax Americans no matter what we do! What good is the medical card? What purpose does it serve? None really, other than to generate federal dollars! When someone doesn't feel well, they go to the doctor, CDL or not! We do NOT have an epidemic of drivers having heart attacks and causing injury and death on the commercial highways, nor do we have them going into diabetic ketoacidosis! And how about those testicles guys? Imagine what would happen if we drove with a hernia?? What we do have is too many hands in our pockets! Doctors today are required (since May 2014) to post the results of the long form to a DOT database on the Internet. For this, they are charged a substantial annual fee for the license and a fee for each medical they do. This is why we pay $100 for a $25 physical!

This is not about safety and never has been. Just like the 1-5am (now suspended until Oct) breaks! Where is the safety in that? After 38 years on the road, 1-5am is my prime time to drive, and before last month, I had to park somewhere with my eyes wide open just to accommodate a law? And THEN get out on the road at 5:01am with 500,000 other trucks contributing to traffic and congestion??? Crazy stuff!

Even better: I have a CDL (State Police background check, $75) and Hazmat (TSA background check $100) and a TWIC (FBI background check $100). Now why in the world do you think we, as CDL drivers, would need a Transportation Workers Identification Card?? You guessed it! REVENUE!! The DOT is just like the rest of the federal government... gimme money!!! When the government says I'm here to help, get out your wallet!