User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Canadian HOS

I normally work within a 160 KM radius of homebase so I really don't deal with HOS or log books very much.

Within the next couple of weeks I have to pickup a machine on the Michigan side of the Bluewater bridge.

So we want to do this in basically a nonstop trip with 2 drivers but the truck doesn't have a sleeper and its probably 9 hrs. each way. So I just want to make sure I know write it up properly and keep legal, especially when I have to cross into the states.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:14 AM

Some trouble...

Both drivers time out in 16hours from the time you start. There will be uncontrollable waiting time/traffic at the border, both ways, to further extend the time. You won't be able to get all the way home legally.

One driver will be pretty much used up getting there for American driving rules.

One way or another, you'll have to shut down and get a hotel room.

For instance: with one driver, run for Sarnia, put driver into the hotel in Sarnia, keep receipts, cross the next day at a quiet crossing time, fetch machine, cross back and run for home, taking advantage of the more generous Canadian drive time rule.

Or with two drivers, cross border and return to Canada on day one, run the rest of the way home on day two.

You have IRP for Michigan?

You have all your border crossing procedures in place? Don't just show up....!!!

Ontario, Canada
Old 04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Board Regular

I'm pretty sure we don't have a Michigan IRP, I think we're getting the machine in the parking lot of U.S. Customs so will we need it?

What your telling me is that without a sleeper both drivers have to be "On Duty" even though one is riding shotgun?

Maybe I should add to the story, we just bought this chipper used from a dealer in Michigan and he agreed to deliver it to the border, it weighs 7.5 ton so we're taking a single axle dumptruck to get it. This isn't the first machine we've brought across, just the first one that we're going to use our own equipment to actually bring across so we know about the paperwork to import the machine, is that what you mean by border crossing procedures? or can you elaborate on that.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Board Regular

You are just asking for trouble, michigan DOT loves to hang out at US customs in port huron.
They might pull you over as soon as you clear the US customs booth, and if you are not licenced for michigan and do not have US DOT number, you could be getting some big fines.

Make sure the truck will pass a level one inspection. and good luck not getting harassed by the DOT
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
You are just asking for trouble, michigan DOT loves to hang out at US customs in port huron.
They might pull you over as soon as you clear the US customs booth, and if you are not licenced for michigan and do not have US DOT number, you could be getting some big fines.

Make sure the truck will pass a level one inspection. and good luck not getting harassed by the DOT

Better still..........have the seller deliver it to you at Canadian Customs!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Board Regular

I'm thinking it may come to that, if we can convince him to cross the bridge. Although now that I think about it when I drove the truck in my avatar across at Sault St. Marie we had to stop at U.S. customs and fill out some paperwork.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Board Regular

Well, we made it back legal, just barely. We went down with 2 drivers, me and my dad, we had to add another pickup to this run(my new crane truck which I will be posting pics of soon) so we left around 4am for toronto did the 5 hrs training then headed for Sarnia. Spent the night there in a Hotel then at 730am crossed over the border and picked up our new chipper.

Crossing the border was so amazingly easy- both ways, the wheels almost didn't stop crossing into the states and coming back we handed them some papers from our broker, sat in a little room for about 10 mins and then we were on our way, I was expecting them to inspect the truck and chipper from end to end.

Made it back to the dealer where my crane was by 12:30, and thats when things started going bad, they didn't have it ready, they had to replace the computer on it which they told us would take 20 mins the day before, now they were telling us it would take another day. We pushed them hard and made it out of there at 500pm with 2 trucks. so we made it back home by 1130 at the same time we ran out of hours.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 PM

excellent report! you can see how any delay at the border can ruin a good day!

Ontario, Canada
Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Board Regular

yes I was expecting a big delay at the border, but is was the crane dealer that screwed us around.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictruckman View Post
yes I was expecting a big delay at the border, but is was the crane dealer that screwed us around.
Somebody did a decent job getting the import paperwork filed through the broker. Otherwise you could have spend days backed in against the fence, instead of a few minutes! Clearing the KIOSK is best and fastest...but if you do have to go inside...20 30 minutes is easier to stomach than days. Longest I have been held at Blue Water was 4.75 days. I made more on "border detention" than the line haul paid.