User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is this legal?

[B]My company says i am on duty 365 days a year, 24/7?
the company says it has the right to punish me for what i do in my
personel car/truck, off company time?

real example
driver took wifes new jeep(that he had never drivin) to pick up
grandkids on a sat., got a ticket for 5-7 over posted speed limit,
company gave him 2 days off, displinary report, and told him that if
he got another ticket of any kind in 36 months, he could face dismissal.
(he had no violations in 5+yrs)

they have even suggested that driving my corvette could be bad for my employment, due to the cars sporty and attention getting design.

IS THIS LEGAL, CAN THEY PUNISH US FOR WHAT WE DO OFF COMPANY TIME?
Can they tell me what i can and can't drive on my personnel time?
i have 14+ years , cdl, and never had so much as a parking ticket.
Is this what it is coming to, we are now under total control of our company
to the point that they control our personnel time too?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Board Icon

Whether it's legal or not, any company that tells me that, C-YA. I'm moving on to another company. Getting a ticket in your personal vehicle does affect your CDL these days, maybe it affects their insurance having a driver that now has a ticket? If so, they really ought to look at changing insurers then. My company had an insurer that said if you had lost your license for any reason or had 2 tickets, not allowed to drive any company vehicle at all unless they were 3 years old. If you were a habitual offender for drunk driving though you were allowed to drive if it was a year old, made no f-ing sense so they dropped that company.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, what you do in your personal vehicle does affect your CDL and when you have tickets it does affect your employers insurance premiums and could impact their safety rating. In fact, if you have more than 2 moving violations, some insurance companies won't cover you. At one time, what happened in your personal vehicle didn't affect your CDL. In fact, it never appeared on your MVR if checked by your employer. Under the Bush administration, that veil was lifted so that anything that you are ticketed for in your personal vehicle now appears on your CDL. If it is on your MVR, then it affects insurance premiums and could affect whether your company can get or keep his insurance. The best thing to do is watch your speed and don't get any tickets. Carriers pull a copy of your MVR annually. When the time comes to renew insurance, the insurance company will also pull a MVR on every driver. Any moving violations can affect premiums, so most carriers are lowering their tolerance for any moving violations.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One other thing. I interviewed a driver who received a ticket in his personal vehicle for doing 84 mph. My insurance company would not touch him. Had I hired him and he was in an accident they would not have paid off. The guy had a perfect work and driving record other than the one ticket. With my insurance company, they won't approve any driver who is doing over 80 mph, no matter what the posted speed limit. After 3 years have passed I could hire him, provided he hasn't accumulated any more violations.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Rookie

So i get, 2-3 days off, writtin disiplenary report, a ticket, mvr points, csa points, fine/court cost, higher insurance(because csa/mvr are shared info with insurs) and possibly
lose my job, and become unhirable. GREAT, all because i got caught going 5-7 over posted speed limit in my corvette, time for a new carrier?
Old 02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Rookie

I grew up in a family of truckdrivers, dad, mom, uncle ,aunt, and just about everone else in the family, this is all i ever wanted to do,i was born into this, now i just want out.
I am not seeing where it is worth it anymore, 14+ yrs, perfect driving, down the drain, family tradition, dead.
BUT ALEAST I'M GOING OUT WITH A PERFECT MVR!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
So i get, 2-3 days off, written disciplinary report, a ticket, mvr points, csa points, fine/court cost, higher insurance(because csa/mvr are shared info with insurs) and possibly
lose my job, and become unhirable. GREAT, all because i got caught going 5-7 over posted speed limit in my corvette, time for a new carrier?

One ticket doing 7 mph over the posted speed is not likely to prevent you from working in this industry. Most insurance companies will allow up to 2 moving violations. Some may allow 3. I know some carriers who previously allowed up to 4 who have reduced their acceptable moviing violations to 2. Tickets do affect insurance premiums, whether in a 4 wheeler or 18 wheeler. When you get tickets it tells them that you are more of a risk than someone who has a clear record. Tickets will push insurance rates up and can also affect a carrier's safety record. The better your safety record the greater opportunity for better paying freight. Carrier safety records are a matter of public record. Although it was stated that insurance companies would not use the new CSA data for underwriting purposes, but If the information is available I have no doubt that it will be used.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Board Regular

I would urge you and anyone to hire an attorney and go to court on any ticket/violation involving any vehicle. I will never just pay a ticket again, those days are gone. Often times the attorney can persuade the court to dismiss your case, resulting in no conviction, nothing on your driving record.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
So i get, 2-3 days off, writtin disiplenary report, a ticket, mvr points, csa points, fine/court cost, higher insurance(because csa/mvr are shared info with insurs) and possibly
That's exactly what I did. I filed for my retirement. No more DOT, no more CHICKEN COUPS, no more putting up with people on the docks, and no company telling me what I may or may not do.

I LIKE GETTING OLD ENOUGH TO RETIRE.
:banana3::band::banana1::cheers:
Oh, yeah... I don't lose my job because of a DUI either.
:bigthumbsup:
And, YES. It's legal as long as they get away with it. Just by being a driver, you're in the limelight. Check out that magnifying glass just over your head.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, when you hire on with a corporation you have left many constitutional right at the doorstep. A corporation is not a democracy, its a monarchy or something.