User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ohio wants to suspend my license

To make a long story short i was pulled over for a moving violation at the end of May and was cited. I've went to court and got the ticket dropped to a non moving violation and paid the fine but today i received a letter for the Ohio BMV stating that I didnt show proof of financial responsibility (insurance) to the officer and that if i dont fax over proof within 30 days my license will be suspended. I have two issues here. #1 on the ticket where it asks if financial responsibility has been shown there are two boxes one yes and one for no. Well the officer didnt check either he wrote "N/A" between the two of them. So i feel that this is either a mistake on the officers part for not putting in a check in "yes" because i did show him the proof of insurance my company provided for the commercial vehicle i was driving or a mistakes on the courts part of faxing this in the BMV in the first place when "N/A" is written. #2 is im a slip-seat driver and the truck i was driving in at the time was just dropped of at my carriers chicago terminal (I live and i am licensed in michigan). Im going to call the ohio bmv on this tomorrow and explain the situation but im afraid theyre going to insist i show proof of insurance on my companies truck and i have no idea how im going to get it now. But my question here is does anyone know what the rules are for showing proof of insurance on company owned vehicles in the state of ohio? And yes I know, if i wasnt speeding i would never have got myself into this mess. But a 300 mile drive and $250 of my hard earned money are enough of a lesson learned for me and I thought this mess was over with after all of that.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

just get a copy of the ins card where it says "all vehicles owned by _____" and fax it in.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Board Regular

call your companies safety officer, explain the situation and have him mail or fax a copy of the insurance card to you. No need to make a bid deal of it, just grow up, accept responsibility and show proof. All you will do in trying to prove the officer was wrong or BMV is wrong is give yourself an ulcer!
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You need to get on top of this ASAP. At this point what the officer did or didn't do is irrelevant. Unless you get a copy of the insurance to the BMV you will have your license suspended and you will not be able to work. If you are stopped while your license is suspended you will have a very bad day. You could be arrested and your truck towed. On top of that you could be fired from your job. That is not something you want on your DAC. Just give them what they ask and you can nip this in the bud. Keep in mind that it may take a few days for them to correct the paperwork.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Board Member

A call to the Ohio agency may also help. ive gotten stuff like that torn up by the D.A before