User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dac observation

I retired from Teamsters 34 years, all of it in Foodservice. Foodservice doesnt use DAC. Just your dmv report. After I retired I still wanted to drive , I got a tanker job with Tri mac. I hit a low hanging pole at night in the Trimac yard. Since then I just signed up with Schneider and this incident came up on my Dac. I didnt even know it would show. I hit a stationary object, guilty as charged, no excuses.

Here is my problem, if a secretary made a few mistakes in the office, and then quits goes to another job, she doesnt have a life history of every mistake big or small to her next employer. It just seems very unfair to keep such a very long history on a person. The part that gets me is that the employee (driver) should be notified by the employer if they put something on it, I didnt find out anything until I applied with Sni, and I looked like a fool for not saying anything about it. My dmv record is 0 accidents and 0 tickets.

In my opinion a dmv record should be enough info for any employer. Truck drivers seem to really be at a big disadvantage in terms of fairness, your thoughts ?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Question is when you applied did you tell them about the accident? I'm sure that was asked.
As far as food service not using DAC that is not true. If they only operate intrastate they don't fall under federal regulations only state. I deal with food service and have had drivers go back and forth and they did use DAC.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Senior Board Member

The DAC is like a shadow that haunts drivers.

Just be hyper careful and not make a mistake that will be recorded on the DAC.

Most companies view it in like a time window,

If you have had 2 mishaps in 3 years...it much different that 2 mishaps in 3 months.

Best to be at no more than 1 preventable in 3 yrs if u can pull it off.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

We need a similar service with reference to the companies. A place for drivers to go and see how the company rates. (No, an opinion poll on CAD won't do it) Something that is available to ALL drivers, not just he ones that have internet access. A "mirror image" of DAC.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:39 AM
Rookie

Chris 1

I didnt tell Schneider about the incident because I didnt think it was a big deal, and also didnt think it would be recorded. Im still getting the job at Schneider, but it did look like I was trying to hide it. I told my side of the story , and they obviously thought I was telling the truth, but that was my whole point, is that drivers should be informed if a company puts something on their dac report. This way you wont be caught off guard. This dac report is a real awakning for me, opens up a whole world lol,
Old 07-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckn4u2day View Post
Chris 1

I didnt tell Schneider about the incident because I didnt think it was a big deal, and also didnt think it would be recorded. Im still getting the job at Schneider, but it did look like I was trying to hide it. I told my side of the story , and they obviously thought I was telling the truth, but that was my whole point, is that drivers should be informed if a company puts something on their dac report. This way you wont be caught off guard. This dac report is a real awakning for me, opens up a whole world lol,
DAC reports fall under the same type of Federal Regs as credit reports. You are permitted to get a FREE COPY of your DAC directly from HireRight (DACS new name) and can PAY FOR ONE (similarly, like credit reports) as often as you want. Any DISPUTED information on a DAC has to be dealt with similar to disputed info on a credit report. There are also organizations (google is your friend) that you can HIRE to clean up your DAC. Similarly, if a disputed report WAS NOT RESOLVED to your satisfaction, DAC must include YOUR STATEMENT in the report also.

Most employers do not file a DAC report, until AFTER you have left their employment - another reason to job hunt WHILE YOU STILL HAVE A JOB - as you will probably be onboard with the new employer, before the DAC report from your current employer hits the computer. It would behoove EVERYONE to get their "free DAC" as often as possible, as the longer you wait to dispute a report, the more likely you will be UNSUCCESSFUL at doing so...

Rick
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Rookie

great info rick, I never thought about it, but the part where you said go out and look for a job while you have one is great advice, especially if you had a mishap with present employer. thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckn4u2day View Post
great info rick, I never thought about it, but the part where you said go out and look for a job while you have one is great advice, especially if you had a mishap with present employer. thanks
This wasn't meant to infer that one should LIE about a verifiable "mishap" - just that some companies have a rep for slamming ex-employee's on their DAC report. Folks need to be aware of what's on them, so they can be corrected (if inaccurate) sooner, than later...

Rick
Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Rookie

Chris1, quite possibly the DAC reporting that you're speaking of is a regional thing, but I'm not 100% sure. I recently started a new job and when my employer checked my DAC, only my OTR time with Roehl appeared.

I was with North Star / US Foodservice, and we (the drivers) ran MN, WI, MI, ND, SD, IA, and NE, but nothing about my foodservice time appeared, and this was only a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Many times DAC is confused with any means used to convey past employment history. Phone calls, faxed requests,ect. If you drive interstate, of the past 10 years driving history, the past three years must be verified. Again many drivers confuse any means of job history report as "DAC Report"