User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Bobtail

Is a CDL required to bobtail a truck on public roads? A road test or driver pickup/dropoff, for example.

Mercedes 1982 300D VNT
OM617.952, GT2256V VNT turbo, Air-water intercooler
Old 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Unless the GVW is under 25,999 Lbs you're gonna need a CDL.
If you can somehow prove the unit is never used as a part of a combination vehicle (remove the 5th wheel) you might be able to get away with a class B license.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Is a CDL required to bobtail a truck on public roads? A road test or driver pickup/dropoff, for example.
i believe if it has air brakes you need a c.d.l. air brake endorsment.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Unless the GVW is under 25,999 Lbs you're gonna need a CDL.
This is true.
I would say just about every tractor ever made is under 26k.

My company has a few straight trucks that are non-CDL trucks (under 26000 GVW) that also have air brakes, and no CDL is required to drive them.

Bobtailing a tractor is no different. Anyone with a class D license can bobtail. (class D meaning DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE) LOL Gotta love the 4 wheelers! Of course, most companies might not let anyone without a CDL bobtail a tractor for insurance reasons.

Hey forcedinduction,.... I find your SWIFT pics amusing. Do you have a beef with them. or do you just like to pick on them? LOL

GO PACK
Old 07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingson View Post
Hey forcedinduction,.... I find your SWIFT pics amusing. Do you have a beef with them. or do you just like to pick on them? LOL
I work for them. Being a "training company" I see the drivers do all sorts of screwed up things a true professional would never do.

Last year a driver drove the trailer tandems over a 1500lb corner boulder at a Wal-Mart DC. He called onroad and they thought he got a rock between the tires and told him to drive to the shop. Common sense would tell a good driver (besides not to drive over a rock in the first place!) that they didn't understand the situation. He then drove 20 miles dragging this boulder under his trailer, hitting 2 lightpoles and a bridge on his way back, also ignoring the police car behind him. He lost his job, got charges filed by the city and wal-mart and the rock is now "protecting" the corner of the yard fence. It still manages to get snagged and moved about 20' every few weeks. :roll:

This was from a driver that tried to turn around in a business front loop. The only reason he stopped was the yellow post ripped off his red line.

A few weeks ago a driver in town ran into an El Pollo Loco sign and two parked cars. He blew a 0.30. :eek2:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Swiftwall2.jpg (74.2 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 2.jpg (26.6 KB, 154 views)

Mercedes 1982 300D VNT
OM617.952, GT2256V VNT turbo, Air-water intercooler
Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingson View Post
This is true.

My company has a few straight trucks that are non-CDL trucks (under 26000 GVW) that also have air brakes, and no CDL is required to drive them.

Bobtailing a tractor is no different. Anyone with a class D license can bobtail. (class D meaning DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE) LOL Gotta love the 4 wheelers! Of course, most companies might not let anyone without a CDL bobtail a tractor for insurance reasons.

I'm afraid "X" gets the "square" on that one...

You'll find that they don't go by actual truck weight, but the GVWR. If the registration says 80.000, you'd better have a CDL, with or without a trailer. So, if a single-axle day-cab only weighs 15,000, you still need a CDL if the registration says 80,000. No way around it.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
i believe if it has air brakes you need a c.d.l. air brake endorsment.
Air brakes do not drive the need for a CDL. The vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating does or placards or number of passengers:

Quote:
Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—

(a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or

(b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or

(c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingson
Windwalker is correct, it's the manufacturer's declared GVW rating, not the weight of the vehicle.

Consider a tractor and trailer is capable of 80 pounds in most states thats broke down by:

12,000 + 34,000 + 34,000

So the tractor has to be rated at least 36,000 pounds.

Be safe.

The views and opinions expressed are mine in an unofficial capacity and are not meant to reflect any regulatory agency in any way. The posts are not intended as an official interpretation of any rule or regulation.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I work for them. Being a "training company" I see the drivers do all sorts of screwed up things a true professional would never do.

Last year a driver drove the trailer tandems over a 1500lb corner boulder at a Wal-Mart DC. He called onroad and they thought he got a rock between the tires and told him to drive to the shop. Common sense would tell a good driver (besides not to drive over a rock in the first place!) that they didn't understand the situation. He then drove 20 miles dragging this boulder under his trailer, hitting 2 lightpoles and a bridge on his way back, also ignoring the police car behind him. He lost his job, got charges filed by the city and wal-mart and the rock is now "protecting" the corner of the yard fence. It still manages to get snagged and moved about 20' every few weeks. :roll:

This was from a driver that tried to turn around in a business front loop. The only reason he stopped was the yellow post ripped off his red line.

A few weeks ago a driver in town ran into an El Pollo Loco sign and two parked cars. He blew a 0.30. :eek2:

NOW YOU SCARED ME !!!! :hellno::hellno::hellno:
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Rookie

I know here in Ontario you can use a G license (regular car) in anything as long as it doesn't have air brakes and is registered for under 11,001 kg (24 250 lbs) GVW. The vehicle itself can have a higher GVW stated by the manufacturer but the registered gross weight can't be higher than 24 250lbs.

I think with an air brake endorsement on a G license you could drive a tractor registered for only 11 000kg for fun. You can tow a trailer with a G license as long as it doesn't weigh more than 4 600kg (10 141 lbs) but the combination of the truck and trailer would be pretty damn close to going over that magic 11 000 kg GVW number even with a light trailer.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 AM
Board Icon

Mythbuster said:

Quote:
Consider a tractor and trailer is capable of 80 pounds in most states thats broke down by:

12,000 + 34,000 + 34,000

So the tractor has to be rated at least 36,000 pounds.
SAY WHAT???? :lol2:

Um.... what if it is a single screw? :hellno:

The answer to the O.P's question is this: IF the tractor (ALONE) has a manufacturer's GVWR (located on the door jamb) of 26,001 lbs or more, and is driven WITHOUT a trailer in tow, a Class B license is required. (unless, of course, it is NOT registered for use in interstate commerce or is not hauling hazmat or 16 passengers.)

I don't KNOW what the GVWR of a class 8 tractor (alone... not GCVWR) is. I'll check mine tomorrow. But a straight truck (or any truck) with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs.... does not require a CDL.

I'm sure I'll get an argument, but I have my citations ready. See you this weekend.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.