User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 34
Default 16 Hour Rule?

I drive a daycab & route with stores, set up for a 14 hour day. Our 'internal debate' is over the supposed 16 Hour Rule, where we are allowed one day a week to extend the workday to 16 hours, but not the driving hours, this remains at 11. Our dispatcher has been using this provision to put an additional drop or pickup on us, and we (drivers) are not getting through that this is mis-using the rule. For example, I had a 15 hour day Monday because of an added pick-up, then I had a flat tire on Wednesday, which also extended the day past 14 hours. We can't seem to get through to this idiot (dispatcher) that she is more or less, FORCING us to falsify our logbooks.

How can we address this problem, in a diplomatic and professional manner, since it is falling upon deaf ears?

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In my head...
Posts: 698
Talking

Its not up to them....its up to you and your log book.

Run legal....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-09-2009, 12:06 PM
matcat's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, NJ
Posts: 1,469
Default

First off, there is no rule that says you can only work 14 hours, you can log line 4 time all you want! The 16 hour rule just lets you extend your 14 to 16, allowing you to drive but still only 11 hours total drive time.

Example:

You start at 7AM
Lets say by the time 9PM rolls around, you have driven a total of 9 hours, but you are delayed for some reason, and still need 2 hours to get back, now your 14 is up, but you can use the 16 hour rule to give you that extra 2 hours to get back.
__________________
My Trucking Blog: http://matcattruckin.blogspot.com/
Website I am making for drivers: http://www.4thedriver.com

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Double R's Avatar
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
First off, there is no rule that says you can only work 14 hours, you can log line 4 time all you want! The 16 hour rule just lets you extend your 14 to 16, allowing you to drive but still only 11 hours total drive time.

Example:

You start at 7AM
Lets say by the time 9PM rolls around, you have driven a total of 9 hours, but you are delayed for some reason, and still need 2 hours to get back, now your 14 is up, but you can use the 16 hour rule to give you that extra 2 hours to get back.
He's talking about the short haul exemption. Your talking about "unforeseen instances".

You can use the 16-hour rule ONCE every seven days provide that you have started and stopped at your HOME terminal the past seven days.

To the OP: That is what the 16 hour rule is for. Your company can extend your work day once a week. We have gone round and round on this rule to. I suggest that if you can, do what I did, take a route that has a lay-over. BAMM!!!!! No more 16 hour for you. Stayed over night somewhere once during the week.

Quote:
For example, I had a 15 hour day Monday because of an added pick-up,
Used the "Short-haul exemption" for what is was made for.

Quote:
then I had a flat tire on Wednesday, which also extended the day past 14 hours.
REFUSE to move the truck once the tire is fixed. Make the company send another driver out to get you and the truck. You already used the "rule" on monday.
__________________
CERTIFIED NUTS BY THE STATE OF PA


MY FACEBOOK PAGE

Last edited by Double R; 05-09-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
matcat's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Manchester, NJ
Posts: 1,469
Default

I just used the unforeseen circumstance as an example, I know it doesn't have to be an unforeseen circumstance.
__________________
My Trucking Blog: http://matcattruckin.blogspot.com/
Website I am making for drivers: http://www.4thedriver.com

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Double R's Avatar
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
I just used the unforeseen circumstance as an example, I know it doesn't have to be an unforeseen circumstance.
For you OTR drivers, you can use unforeseen circumstances to extend to 16 hours. Just be careful of how you use it.

For use "Local Wussies", we can be dispatched on a "16 hour" day, provided we meet the requirerments:thumbsup:
__________________
CERTIFIED NUTS BY THE STATE OF PA


MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
golfhobo's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the 19th hole / NC
Posts: 9,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R View Post
For you OTR drivers, you can use unforeseen circumstances to extend to 16 hours. Just be careful of how you use it.

For us "Local Wussies", we can be dispatched on a "16 hour" day, provided we meet the requirerments:thumbsup:
Ummm..... nope, sorry! NO CAN DO. The "adverse driving conditions" exemption (there IS NO unforeseen circumstance rule) allows us to extend our 11 hour driving rule to 13 but ONLY if it doesn't bust our 14 hour clock.
__________________
Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Rev.Vassago's Avatar
Guest
Board Icon
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The other side of the coin
Posts: 9,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
Ummm..... nope, sorry! NO CAN DO. The "adverse driving conditions" exemption (there IS NO unforeseen circumstance rule) allows us to extend our 11 hour driving rule to 13 but ONLY if it doesn't bust our 14 hour clock.
I remember you trying to claim unforseen road construction closures under the adverse driving exemption....

As far as the rule you are quoting, you are mostly correct, but you left off an important part of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM
golfhobo's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the 19th hole / NC
Posts: 9,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
I remember you trying to claim unforseen road construction closures under the adverse driving exemption....

As far as the rule you are quoting, you are mostly correct, but you left off an important part of it.
I'm just saying that there is no exemption classified as "unforeseen circumstances" or "unforeseen instances." And regardless.... it doesn't allow for what Double R said it did.

The rule being discussed is the 16 hour "exemption" for short haulers. The "adverse driving conditions" exemption is a specific animal. To be honest, I don't even know that it can be used by "local wusses," but if it can... it would still not allow an extension of the 14 hour clock UNLESS the local guy has not yet used his 16 hour exemption for that week.

Now.... just what "important" part did I leave off?
__________________
Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Fredog's Avatar
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I'm just saying that there is no exemption classified as "unforeseen circumstances" or "unforeseen instances." And regardless.... it doesn't allow for what Double R said it did.

The rule being discussed is the 16 hour "exemption" for short haulers. The "adverse driving conditions" exemption is a specific animal. To be honest, I don't even know that it can be used by "local wusses," but if it can... it would still not allow an extension of the 14 hour clock UNLESS the local guy has not yet used his 16 hour exemption for that week.

Now.... just what "important" part did I leave off?
the part about the Rev is always right :lol::lol:
Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.