User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dark Side of The Moon
Posts: 172
Default Test: What size tank requires a tank endorsement?

Here are a few hints, I'll check back in a day or two for the answers:



Part 383: Commercial driver's license standards; requirements and penalties



Part 383: Commercial driver's license standards; requirements and penalties



Be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
Posts: 3,298
Default

If it is a tank vehicle it requires endorsement.

Quote:
(b) Endorsement descriptions. An operator must obtain State-issued endorsements to his/her CDL to operate commercial motor vehicles which are:

.....

b)(3) Tank vehicles;
Tank vehicle is defined as:

Quote:
Tank vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in Part 171 of this title. However, this definition does not include portable tanks having a rated capacity under 1,000 gallons.
I see no quantity for tank vehicles, except for portable tanks. Definition of portable tanks:

Quote:
Portable tank means a bulk packaging (except a cylinder having a water capacity of 1000 pounds or less) designed primarily to be loaded onto, or on, or temporarily attached to a transport vehicle or ship and equipped with skids, mountings, or accessories to facilitate handling of the tank by mechanical means. It does not include a cargo tank, tank car, multi-unit tank car tank, or trailer carrying 3AX, 3AAX, or 3T cylinders.
So to answer your question, all tank vehicles require endorsements. However if the "tank" fits the definition of a portable tank and is rated under 1,000 gallons it does not require endorsement.

So completely empty and cleaned out 48 foot tankers cannot be driven without endorsement, and portable tanks must have a rating under 1000 gallons to be driven without endorsement. If it is rated for 1000 or more gallons but empty, you require endorsement. However this is only for tanks that are designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials. Cokers and other large non-transport tanks need not apply.

Did I pass?

Last edited by allan5oh; 03-03-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Windwalker's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Been there and gone...
Posts: 6,413
Default

Quote:
Tank Vehicle means any commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport any liquid or gaseous materials within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or the chassis. Such vehicles include, but are not limited to, cargo tanks and portable tanks, as defined in Part 171 of this title. However, this definition does not include portable tanks having a rated capacity under 1,000 gallons.
Having had my tank endorsement all along, I've never worried, or even thought, about this. But, now, I'm a bit curious. LP tanks can range from 100 gallons to several thousand gallons. (the house in WI had a 1,000 gallon tank behind it) When delivering those tanks, are they considered as "portable"? Some I've seen would be over-sized loads to move as well. But, once they are delivered, they tend to remain stationary.
__________________
Destroy the cities...
and they will rebuild them.
Destroy the farms...
and grass will grow in the streets of the cities.

Destroy the economy of the blue-collar worker...
and grass will grow in the executive offices.

The bill has come due.
( R E T I R E D , and glad of it)

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
Posts: 3,298
Default

They wouldn't fit the definition unless they were specifically to transport material. If they're empty and remain stationary after delivery, they're not considered a tank vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Windwalker's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Been there and gone...
Posts: 6,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
They wouldn't fit the definition unless they were specifically to transport material. If they're empty and remain stationary after delivery, they're not considered a tank vehicle.
Flatbeds aren't considered tank vehicles either, but I have seen them with a huge neoprene (I think) bladder, 40 feet long, and about 7 1/2 feet wide, and when filled, they are about 4 feet high. About 8 4" straps holding them down to the bed. And, whatever was inside was liquid. What are they classed as?
__________________
Destroy the cities...
and they will rebuild them.
Destroy the farms...
and grass will grow in the streets of the cities.

Destroy the economy of the blue-collar worker...
and grass will grow in the executive offices.

The bill has come due.
( R E T I R E D , and glad of it)

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
Posts: 3,298
Default

That would be a portable tank, and if the rated capacity was 1000 gallons or more, it is a tank vehicle. However that's only if the bladder is NOT used to transport liquids/gases.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Rev.Vassago's Avatar
Guest
Board Icon
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The other side of the coin
Posts: 9,411
Default

I'm waiting for Golfhobo to give us the "official" answer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
golfhobo's Avatar
Board Icon
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: the 19th hole / NC
Posts: 9,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
I'm waiting for Golfhobo to give us the "official" answer.
Sorry to disappoint you. I'm not interested in this little "TEST" from our resident "driver hater." I recently got my tanker endorsement while getting my Triples so I could pull these wiggle wagons. I guess that means I'm good to go with a full tank of nasty chemicals! :lol:

So, it doesn't matter to me if it's a bladder on a flatbed or a tanker full of rancid milk! Just kick the tires and light the fires and I'm ready to roll!

I didn't get to roll last night/today though, cuz they couldn't get the "local wusses" out to shuttle the local freight to the terminal, ergo.... nothing for me to haul to Kentucky! Dang I feel guilty enjoying this 3 day "snow" weekend! :hellno:

But, I noticed YOU didn't give an answer yet, Rev. You KNOW I never post an opinion till I see how wrong you are! :clap:
__________________
Remember... friends are few and far between.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: jackassville (winnipeg, mb)
Posts: 3,298
Default

From what you guys see, anything wrong with my answer?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dark Side of The Moon
Posts: 172
Default

Allan5oh is correct, if the vehicle is a tank vehicle it requires a tank endorsement... No size is stipulated.

Windwalker:

Quote:
Having had my tank endorsement all along, I've never worried, or even thought, about this. But, now, I'm a bit curious. LP tanks can range from 100 gallons to several thousand gallons. (the house in WI had a 1,000 gallon tank behind it) When delivering those tanks, are they considered as "portable"? Some I've seen would be over-sized loads to move as well. But, once they are delivered, they tend to remain stationary./
Stationary home LP tanks cannot be transported with more than 5% of product. There are some limitation reguarding how the tanks may be transported. Typically the bobtail delivery trucks fill the home tanks on site.

Quote:
Flatbeds aren't considered tank vehicles either, but I have seen them with a huge neoprene (I think) bladder, 40 feet long, and about 7 1/2 feet wide, and when filled, they are about 4 feet high. About 8 4" straps holding them down to the bed. And, whatever was inside was liquid. What are they classed as?
If the flexible tank is filled and emptied from the vehicle, it is a tank vehicle:

Quote:
Question 2: Are rubberized collapsible containers or ‘‘bladder bags’’ attached to a trailer considered a tank vehicle, thus requiring operators to obtain a CDL with a tank vehicle endorsement?

Guidance: Yes.
Be safe.
Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:48 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.