User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam_Murphy View Post
It still does not seem to be completely clear. The person whose license is in question did take CDL tests in Illinois before being issued a Class-A CDL in Illinois.

Is the new rule that you must undergo ALL CDL testing --including the vehicle inspection and road test in Illinois?

At any rate, the license was not invalid. The Illinois Secretary of State office confirmed that the person
indeed had a valid Class-A CDL the entire time. It was "only" an administrative "glitch".

"Only a glitch" that cost one driver $909 to clear the name and get on with life and livelyhood.
And hopefully will not still lose the job over this anyway.
Why did it cost $909 if it was valid the entire time?
Old 02-13-2009, 10:45 PM

well, let's see,... there was the arrest, so bail money, the car was towed and there was an extra 50 to get it out of impound at 10pm, there was a taxi cab ride to the impound lot, court costs, a fine to be paid, the lawyer,.... oh yeah, the DMV got some money for reissuing the license, I think that might be everything, and it totals $909. just to clear a name and to clear a permanent record
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
well, let's see,... there was the arrest, so bail money, the car was towed and there was an extra 50 to get it out of impound at 10pm, there was a taxi cab ride to the impound lot, court costs, a fine to be paid, the lawyer,.... oh yeah, the DMV got some money for reissuing the license, I think that might be everything, and it totals $909. just to clear a name and to clear a permanent record
You can be smug if you like, but your story is full of holes.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:16 PM

look, this happened to me. I lived it. I was in court just this morning.

The arresting officer took my driver's license away from me. It was considered to be NOT VALID.
It is a misdemeanor to be in possession of an invalid driver's license. They destroy the license.
(and don't think for one second that I did not make multiple phone calls to multiple agencies to try to settle this.)
They had no reason to believe me, who am I, after all. The only way to clear my record and get
my license back in my pocket was to appear in court. I got a lawyer, just to be sure. My lawyer
talked to the state's attorney and showed them my documentation. The state's attorney agreed
that they should drop the invalid license charge. There was more, but that is the main part of it.

They could not leave my car on the side of the road, it had to be towed.
The towing bill was over $200. I had to bail myself out of jail, that was over $100.
I had to take a taxi cab to impound, and this is all happening in a rural area, by the way.
The lawyer had to be paid. There was a fine to be paid, and court costs.
In the end it was over $900.

Tell me where you think the holes are, mr smug.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
look, this happened to me. I lived it. I was in court just this morning.

The arresting officer took my driver's license away from me. It was considered to be NOT VALID.
It is a misdemeanor to be in possession of an invalid driver's license. They destroy the license.
(and don't think for one second that I did not make multiple phone calls to multiple agencies to try to settle this.)
They had no reason to believe me, who am I, after all. The only way to clear my record and get
my license back in my pocket was to appear in court. I got a lawyer, just to be sure. My lawyer
talked to the state's attorney and showed them my documentation. The state's attorney agreed
that they should drop the invalid license charge. There was more, but that is the main part of it.

They could not leave my car on the side of the road, it had to be towed.
The towing bill was over $200. I had to bail myself out of jail, that was over $100.
I had to take a taxi cab to impound, and this is all happening in a rural area, by the way.
The lawyer had to be paid. There was a fine to be paid, and court costs.
In the end it was over $900.

Tell me where you think the holes are, mr smug.

First its your friend, then its you.
It's valid, it's not valid.
If they dropped the charges, why is there a fine? For what?
Why the cab to the impound? Can you suddenly drive again?
You get bail money back when you appear in court.

It appears you were also charged with something else.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson View Post
First its your friend, then its you.
It's valid, it's not valid.
If they dropped the charges, why is there a fine? For what?
Why the cab to the impound? Can you suddenly drive again?
You get bail money back when you appear in court.

It appears you were also charged with something else.
I said it was a friend because I was afraid for my job. why does it matter.

Why do you think they stopped me in the first place? It was not just to check my driver's license.
I was stopped for speeding. (This charge was reduced to a parking ticket, so that my CDL is clear.)
About 9 mph over the limit.

Someone met me at impound to get my car out before it would cost me more money to get it back --they charge you for the space your car occupies. and no, they could not pick me up at the jail, they live far off in another direction.

You don't just get the bail money back -there are court fees and I had to pay $75 for the other ticket.

maybe instead of just calling someone "smug" and saying their story is full of holes you could just ask your questions in the first place. sorry if you think that is "smug" or rude or whatever....
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I said it was a friend because I was afraid for my job. why does it matter.

Why do you think they stopped me in the first place? It was not just to check my driver's license.
I was stopped for speeding. (This charge was reduced to a parking ticket, so that my CDL is clear.)
About 9 mph over the limit.

Someone met me at impound to get my car out before it would cost me more money to get it back --they charge you for the space your car occupies. and no, they could not pick me up at the jail, they live far off in another direction.

You don't just get the bail money back -there are court fees and I had to pay $75 for the other ticket.

maybe instead of just calling someone "smug" and saying their story is full of holes you could just ask your questions in the first place. sorry if you think that is "smug" or rude or whatever....
Ok,,,,,,, we're good,,,,,,let it go.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm a little confused, here. If it's a CDL then it's a federal license and not under state control. The test you take is the same everywhere in the country. Why does Il. have the right to invalidate it? When I moved from VT to NC last October I went into the DMV and gave them proof of residency and they handed me a new license. I just had to take the written test for the haz-mat endorsement over as it had been some time since I got it put on.
When I moved back to VT from Arizona 10 years ago it was the same thing, went to the DMV, gave them my license from AZ and they gave me a new one on the spot. No Problem. and my picture was better.
Isnt it the same everywhere?
Am I not understanding something here?
Old 02-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I'm a little confused, here. If it's a CDL then it's a federal license and not under state control. The test you take is the same everywhere in the country. Why does Il. have the right to invalidate it? When I moved from VT to NC last October I went into the DMV and gave them proof of residency and they handed me a new license. I just had to take the written test for the haz-mat endorsement over as it had been some time since I got it put on.
When I moved back to VT from Arizona 10 years ago it was the same thing, went to the DMV, gave them my license from AZ and they gave me a new one on the spot. No Problem. and my picture was better.
Isnt it the same everywhere?
Am I not understanding something here?

The CDL is NOT at federal license. It is a state license. Just look at your license.

In addition the feds change the rules.

kc0iv