User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Regardless if you have a weapon or not, if you're going to resist someone that is armed, you had better have better response time than your imagination. Something I learned many, many years ago. It takes 4 seconds to disarm a man. It only takes 1 second to kill him. That's with your bare hands. But, it takes at least 2 seconds for you to realize what the situation is. In that time, he can put 3 shots into you.

Generally, anyone that has a weapon to use against an armed intruder will hesitate before acting to make sure they aren't making a mistake. They "second-guess" themselves. That hesitation is usually their undoing.

Somewhere, I read that any kind of club, tire thumper, or anything like that is considered a lethal weapon if it has a leather or nylon strap that you can put your wrist through. If it has not strap, it is not considered a weapon. Don't know if I really want to test that. But, if someone comes into my truck, my 3 pound hammer over the head is likely to knock him into the middle of next year.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I can't see any reason to HAVE a gun in a truck.
I ll bet Reginald Denney could give you a good one, but then again i always wonder why he didnt floor it.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct77 View Post
I ll bet Reginald Denney could give you a good one, but then again i always wonder why he didnt floor it.
maybe he was "new" and had to stop to find first after missing a gear.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface View Post
OK, This subject has been hashed out allot, and I am not trying to get a second amendment thread going so I will put the question like this, Say you are an owner operator and you drive New York to L.A. . You are pull in to weigh and you are told to pull around because the mud flap has fallen off the truck and your tractor is dirty and for what ever reason it becomes inspection time. It is discovered that you are in possession of a perfectly legal fire arm by the powers that be. How is this going to go for a fellow in this situation ? Is he going to be sent on his way ? or will he be given a hard time.
in most states (I can't say all for sure) you can carry a gun in your vehicle as long as it is unloaded and the amo is stored away from the gun. some states require that the driver not be able to reach the gun. if I was this owner I would also carry a locking gun case. throw the gun in the case and lock it and put it in the sleeper and put the mag in the glove box just before going inside.

Don't get me wrong, I am a gun person. I own plenty and am all about the right to own and even carry. I have never felt the need to have one with me while out on the road. if you do feel the need maybe you need to reconsider where it is you are parking for the night.

one of the problems with caring a gun is now every where you go there is a gun present. have you practiced close quarter combat with a firearm. weapons retention techniques (after all if the "bad guy" didn't have a gun before, he does now if you don't know how to keep it.) are you absolutly sure that you could pull the trigger and take another mans life if and when the time came? (most people can't) if you can't answer yes to all those questions then you really shouldn't be carrying a firearm.

I have a lot of self defense training and I can honestly say that in a situation like a CMV a gun wouldn't be my first choice of protection. its really not worth the legal hassles either.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
A tire thumper could still be considered a deadly weapon. Shoot to kill or the perpetrator can come back on you and not only have you charged for assault, but file a lawsuit against you and take everything you own. A corpse can't sue anyone.
NEVER-EVER shoot to kill!! You shoot and keep shooting to STOP THE ATTACK, if someone ends up dead then the attack is over. You have to think about after the shooting and it's all about CYA cause if you don't some ambulance chasing pos lawyer will make mince-meat out of you.

As far as carring in your truck all 48 states have different laws along with some cities and towns get cought by the wrong person and at best you'll lose your gun at worse jail time.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
NEVER-EVER shoot to kill!! You shoot and keep shooting to STOP THE ATTACK, if someone ends up dead then the attack is over. You have to think about after the shooting and it's all about CYA cause if you don't some ambulance chasing pos lawyer will make mince-meat out of you.

As far as carring in your truck all 48 states have different laws along with some cities and towns get cought by the wrong person and at best you'll lose your gun at worse jail time.

I'd say that is a poor response.

If you have to shoot any good instructor will tell you to shoot for the "center of mass." And shoot twice.

It may work on TV to just wing the bad guy but that is not what you should do in real life.

If a firearm is required then use deadly force.

kc0iv
Old 12-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv View Post
If you have to shoot any good instructor .....
Why would I want to shoot a GOOD instructor when there are so many Swifty trainers with their HUGE badges to aim for??

:lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface View Post
OK, This subject has been hashed out allot, and I am not trying to get a second amendment thread going so I will put the question like this, Say you are an owner operator and you drive New York to L.A. . You are pull in to weigh and you are told to pull around because the mud flap has fallen off the truck and your tractor is dirty and for what ever reason it becomes inspection time. It is discovered that you are in possession of a perfectly legal fire arm by the powers that be. How is this going to go for a fellow in this situation ? Is he going to be sent on his way ? or will he be given a hard time.
The only time that I can envision a situation when you would have a firearm in your truck and it would be perfectly legal would be if you were to carry refined nuclear matterial. Something like fuel rods for nuclear power plants, or nuclear warheads going to a military ammo depot. Something that could be used to build a bomb. Then, you would be under the same rules as military personal. You would also go through a kind of "boot camp" before you ever start to drive, and periodically, you would go through a refresher course.

That is the only situation that I know of where you would be carrying a weapon in the truck and it would be "perfectly legal". I also doubt very much that you would ever get pulled around back and your truck searched. One of the locations would AMERICAN REFINERS in southern Ohio, and there are also trucks carrying nuclear materials in Kansas that I know of. Beyond that, most companies will not keep you on if they find out that you are carrying a weapon in your truck. Get pulled around back and show them all the required documents, and they'll very likely let the company know and you get canned. You want to risk that?