Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavega
sorry fred, when went back over and read it, i realize it sounds as though i mean the 1/2 hour off duty doesn't count toward your 14 hour total for the day when we all know it does. what i need to do is quit replying in notepad and copy and pasting thoughts back and forth. it gets me into trouble everytime. thanks!

I thought you probably just said it wrong, but the Rev taught me to never miss an opportunity to point out someones mistakes

Ahhhhh....You must be one of those quick learners. :P
Old 08-31-2008, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Hypothetically I would rather not fall asleep at the wheel, kill someone, but claim "the rules made me do it." So you can summarize that by saying I would rather be alive than be right. I can be right, dead right, but just as dead as if I was wrong.

Of course I would never ever run illegally. This is all hypothetical remember. :wink:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can always use the split sleeper berth provision. For it to work, you will need to take at least a 2 hour break in the sleeper berth.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Board Regular

maybe you need to make the people at realize that if you do not get your sleep that maybe daddy won't be comming home. it is not the laws fault that you fail to get your rest at home. the laws are not flawed...you sleeping arangments are.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
You can always use the split sleeper berth provision. For it to work, you will need to take at least a 2 hour break in the sleeper berth.
Please explain how that would work since the two hour break does not stop the 14 hour clock. :wink:
Old 09-01-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd112488
maybe you need to make the people at realize that if you do not get your sleep that maybe daddy won't be comming home. it is not the laws fault that you fail to get your rest at home. the laws are not flawed...you sleeping arangments are.
That may be an idea for those that get to go home every night. Now for those that end up driving 11 hours a day along with using up 3 additional hours of on duty time this leaves us with 10 hours to shower shave, eat a hot meal, get in touch with the family for a few mins on the phone and try to get some sleep next to some stinky bull rack or some annoying straight piped tractor with the idle cranked way up so he can run his heater on a 60 degree night. Good luck getting a full nights rest.

Then add to your already worn out mind, driving in heavy wind on a hot day in loads of traffic.

I have run into many times were I just need to pull over and take a rest. Many times this may put me beyond my 14 hours.

The system is seriously flawed in my opinion and it tends to force drivers to drive when they should be taking a break.

We should be allowed some time during our 14 hour clock to go off duty for meal time and a possible rest to just get out of the truck and take a walk or what ever to get our energy back.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Board Regular

if you got 10 hours off and you can't get enough sleep then you are flawed, or you surrent job is flawed. if you can't sleep ina truckstop sleep somewhere else. if you can't sleep ina truck period, look into gettting a local job that gets you home where you can sleep. or just don't worrry about your logbook and do what you gotta do, just don't be load about it when around a scalehouse, or be prepared to pay the price if you get caught.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Explain how that would work in a DAY CAB.

Quote:
My route is close to the 14 hour limit, with stops. I run at night so obviously, with family & kids at home, my sleep is often interupted.
I would say that he is a LOCAL driver driving a DAY CAB.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM

I have a family at home myself and I have learned that it is alot harder to get a full 8 hours of sleep at home then anywere else.

You get home after a 14 hour day and have school age kids at home. The wife is pullign her hair out. You take your shower, get a meal in and then sit down for some quality time with the kids at the home work table for a bit, then the wife is nagging that she needs some one on one. Not to mention helping with things areound the house.

Next thing you know it is 12:00 AM and you need to be doing your PTI at 5 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Board Regular

You basically really only have a couple of options. I don't see the laws changing over night so here are your options as I see them (could be more or less)

1. have you talked to your boss about the run? maybe he isn't aware of how long it takes. often times people will complain about a job but keep doing it and never say anything expecting it to fix itself. If you have an idea that would cut the time down and save time and money for the company you'll look like a hero.

2. are there things your doing to stretch the time out. long breaks. fregent stops? long lunches? BSing at shippers and recievers when you should be driving?

3. Are you healthy? if your your fifty sixty pound over weight and you eat like crap, skip breakfast or eat fast food and wash it down with soda and get little or no exercise then I would venture this has more to do with your being tired during a 14 hour day than anything else.

4. finally you could find another job that fits your life style and sleeping habits better