User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SAFETY POLICY

I am pulling my hair out. I need to send the State of MI a safety policy with my application for intrastate motor carrier. Does anyone know how, or where I can get one? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank's DAN
Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Ask your Insurance Agent

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Rookie
Default Re: SAFETY POLICY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANMADE
I am pulling my hair out. I need to send the State of MI a safety policy with my application for intrastate motor carrier. Does anyone know how, or where I can get one? I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank's DAN
Sorry, but insurance agents don't have anything to do with it. It is rules and safety policies for your trucking company. Every company must have one. Thank's DAN
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I would imagine most trucking companies write up their own explaining their policies for maintaining equipment in accordance with state and federal law as well as their policies for ensuring all drivers operate in a safe and legal manner.

Write up policies covering logs outlining how they will be handled by drivers, turned in, audited, and what happens if violations are found.

Drug and alcohol testing and use policies.

Vehicle inspection and maintenance programs.

and so forth.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Senior Board Member

From the Michigan State Legistlature:

Quote:
While various publications, groups and web pages (i.e., Michigan Center for Truck Safety,
Michigan Commercial Driver License Manual, etc.) may provide samples of Safety Policies, copies of
these samples will not be accepted as the applicant’s Safety Policy. The carrier safety policy must be
published and make specific reference to the applicant operating name.
The written safety policy, published under the applicant’s name, must set forth information of the
applicant’s rules and procedures of safety – how things will be done when working for the applicant. The
policy must provide information of operations not only to the MPSC, but also to employees of the carrier.
The safety policy must include (at a minimum) information relative to each of the following categories:
Vehicle Maintenance (Specific FMCSR Part 396): Establishment of the manner in which
vehicles will be maintained through:
• Individual vehicle maintenance records;
• Daily Inspection – inspections of the vehicle performed at the end (post-trip) and
beginning (pre-trip) of each day’s work;
• Planned Maintenance – annual inspection of the vehicle, conducted once every 12
months; and
• What actions are to be taken following a Roadside Inspection by Enforcement
Personnel.
Driver Qualifications (Specific FMCSR Part 391): This portion of your policy must set forth
the requirements that apply to:
• Applicants for driver positions – what requirements must the applicant meet before
being employed by your operation.
Establishment, Use and Retention of Driver Qualification Files (Specific FMSCR Part 391)
• Personnel employed as drivers - each carrier is required to establish a driver
qualification (DQ) file for each driver employed. This DQ file must contain the
documents required by Part 391. The DQ file is used by the carrier to support the
carrier’s decision that a driver is qualified to drive when first employed, and continues
to be qualified through periodic carrier reviews required under Part 391. A Safety
Policy must reference what documents are to be included in the DQ file and what
periodic updates are required by Part 391. Each DQ file shall be retained for as long as
a driver is employed by that motor carrier and for three years thereafter.
Driver Hours of Service (Specific FMCSR Part 395): Carrier policy requirements must set
forth how the driver’s hours of service will be controlled through:
• Maximum driving and on-duty time.
• Use, completion, review and retention of daily logs (logbook) where required; and
• A company system, including retention of accurate time records, to monitor those
drivers involved in operations which are exempt from logbook maintenance.
Procedures to be Followed in Case of Accident: Your policy must set forth the actions to be
taken at the time of the accident, including at the scene of the accident, as follow-up to the
accident, and the manner in which an accident register (FMCSR Part 390.15(b)) will be
maintained.
Each of these required areas must include information relative to:
1. What is to be done;
2. When (how often, what time frame, etc.);
3. How the requirement will be met (what has to be done, what forms have to be
completed, etc.);
4. Where is the function to be performed;
5. Who is involved/responsible for the action;
6. Who will/is responsible for reviewing the completed action; and
7. Where and for how long will documentation be retained.
Found Here

I'd just follow their format here and enter the information as bet you can. Keep it simple. It doesn't sound like they care what's in there as long as you've got something that meets the requirements.