User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2nd Amendment upheld

By now every one should have heard the decision handed down from the US Supreme Court on DC vs. Heller... where the court finally issued it's decision on gun rights by saying that Heller has a legal right under the Constitution to keep and bear arms. This is a great win for those of us who support the right to carry. Now if we can get the law changed where we can claim that our sleeper area is derived as our home and that we need the right to protect it just like we do our physical address. That would be a huge win for 2nd Amendment Rights

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

There are no FMCSA regs saying you can not carry in a CMV. The "problems" are that most carriers do not allow it, many warehouses and factories prohibit firearms on their property and you have a lot of varying state and local laws that make keeping a firearm in the truck virtually impossible and be legal doing so.

In order to get past some of these issues, namely the laws, there would have to be some kind of mandatory reciprocal agreement for gun permits in all states and local jurisdictions or some kind of federal permit program. This is assuming the sleeper of a truck would be considered a "home". Otherwise the permits would have to be of the carry variety and not just ownership.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 2nd Amendment upheld

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableman
By now every one should have heard the decision handed down from the US Supreme Court on DC vs. Heller... where the court finally issued it's decision on gun rights by saying that Heller has a legal right under the Constitution to keep and bear arms. This is a great win for those of us who support the right to carry. Now if we can get the law changed where we can claim that our sleeper area is derived as our home and that we need the right to protect it just like we do our physical address. That would be a huge win for 2nd Amendment Rights

The right to carry had no bearing in this case. Nor do I see it having any effect on the right to carry.

kc0iv
Old 06-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Well if you want to carry a fire arm then you need a concealed weapons permit or you have to leave it right on the dash in full view so it can easily be seen.

Also note that carrying a firearm across a boarder might get you in trouble.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
Well if you want to carry a fire arm then you need a concealed weapons permit or you have to leave it right on the dash in full view so it can easily be seen.

Also note that carrying a firearm across a boarder might get you in trouble.
So.... what is your objection to having it on the dash in full view? The BEST "protection" against a gun nut, is full disclosure! :lol: :lol:

Personally..... I'd like to know ahead of time that the BBR who wants to kick my azz, for pizzing on his tires, hasn't got the b@lls to do it with his fists, and plans on bringing his Constitutionaly protected right to OFFEND with arms along WITH his big mouth! :lol:

I also hope that it will be mandatory for him to display a sticker in his window saying that he is armed.... so I can park somewhere ELSE so as not to be accidentally SHOT while he's practicing his gun twirling skills! :roll:

This is indeed a GREAT day for Texans.... and for all others who ASPIRE to BE a TEXAN! It is just one more example of what a free hunting trip with the V.P. can do to influence the opinon of an otherwise partial Supreme Court Appointee!

Scalia is Cheney's "beyotch" and there is no doubt about it! :roll:

At least it is evident to anyone with an INDEPENDENT point of view!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Board Icon

Double post

Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Board Icon

Triple post! Sorry..... this hasn't happened to me in MONTHS! Don't know what happened! Must've shot myself in the head while cleaning my gun, and fell over onto the submit key! :lol:
Old 07-01-2008, 12:22 AM

So what you are saying is it is wrong to own a firearm? If you feel that way then move to Canada or another country were the people have no rights.

This is america and the 2nd amendment gives us the right to hold and bare arms.

I don't carry anymore but when I was hauling cars as an O/O I had a Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC with a 7 inch barrel in my truck.

Hey when you have high end cars on the trailer then it is better to protect yourself especially when traveling through places like New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis and other big hostile cities.

I don't haul cars anymore but if someone wants a load of Potatoes then they are welcome to them. Wendies might get a little upset when they run low on French Fries though.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Between the various comments I have read around the WWW there are a lot of people who truly have no clue what the supreme court ruling really means.

All this ruling says is that it is unconstitutional for cities, states, and the feds to make a blanket ban on firearms. In other words they can not come in and say...No handguns, as DC, Chicago and a few other cities have done.

What will probably happen now though is that these cities will end up passing ordinances that say something like no handguns over 22 caliber and no automatics or semi automatics. :roll:
Old 07-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat
So what you are saying is it is wrong to own a firearm? If you feel that way then move to Canada or another country where the people have no rights.

This is america and the 2nd amendment gives us the right to own and bear arms.

I don't carry anymore but when I was hauling cars as an O/O I had a Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC with a 7 inch barrel in my truck.

Hey when you have high end cars on the trailer then it is better to protect yourself especially when traveling through places like New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis and other big hostile cities.

I don't haul cars anymore but if someone wants a load of Potatoes then they are welcome to them. Wendies might get a little upset when they run low on French Fries though.
Assuming you are addressing ME, Rat.... NO. I am NOT saying that! What I am saying is that this whole case was SUPPOSED to settle the issue of what IS meant by the 2nd Ammendment.... and I don't think it DID!

The decision was pretty much an EVEN split! That does NOT show ME that the highest court in the land could come to an EASY decision that would settle the argument! It shows me that they are as political as they can BE..... and that Scalia wouldn't have an "independent" thought if Cheney ALLOWED him to! :roll:

"I" have never said that the 2nd Ammendment doesn't give Americans the right to bear arms. I have said that the meaning was unclear, concerning the "militia" aspect, and that I'd LIKE to see it clarified once and for all! I don't see that it WAS, exactly. I have ALSO said, that BECAUSE it was unclear, those who tout it as their basis for argument, were basing their argument on THEIR interpretation of it. I WANTED to see the Supremes decide the issue one way or the other. I don't see a "political" split decision as having DONE so!

I have ALSO said that, EVEN under the NRA interpretation of it, it did NOT say that there could be no "restrictions" on the types of arms, and I still don't see that there CAN'T be.

I'm not sure that we got our money's worth out of this ruling! There may be MORE questions NOW than before!

I will ACCEPT this "political" decision by our Supreme Political Court as at least deciding that the Militia aspect doesn't apply, and therefore ALL citizens have the right to bear arms. I have NO PROBLEM with that. However, I still contend.... and am not convinced otherwise..... that local or state governments do not have the right to place "restrictions" on the types of arms a citizen can bear.

As KayCee said, this decision has NO bearing on the CCW laws. Therefore, doesn't really address the issue of "bearing" arms! I have NOT had a chance to fully investigate the ruling and its consequences yet, but.... it appears to me that the only thing decided was that HANDGUNS cannot be "restricted" by a local jurisdiction as they fall under the general description of FIREARMS. It says NOTHING about semi-auto rifles, maximum capacity "clips" or anything else.

Personally, I don't have a problem at all with citizens owning handguns! The D.C. ban had NO EFFECT anyways, since the guns were readily available from just outside the city limits!

I am, and WAS, mostly just interested in DEBATING the issue, and having it settled so a bunch of MORONS would stop claiming they had a right to own any and ALL forms of assault weapons and the like based on their interpretation of a badly worded ammendment to the Constitution. And if you think that THIS ruling has clarified that in "your" favor, then I suppose the next step will be a class action suit against the government for wrongful death in the case of WACO!

But, I can just about guarantee that THIS decision will NOT provide the precedent necessary to WIN such a suit!

Personally, I was sympathetic to Heller's case! And I am PROUD of my country and it's Constitution that ALLOWED him his right to "petition the government for redress of greviances!" (can't remember off the top of my head which ammendment that was,) but it shows that our system WORKS! My disappointment is with how Politically divided the court was!

My comments about Texans and BBR's was mostly in jest.... and you should lighten up a bit! I really can't STAND this attitude of "like it or leave it!" People who say that, basically mean that you can like it the way "I WANT IT TO BE" or get out. Well, I risked my life in the military to protect your rights.... AND my own.... to debate what IS the law of the land!

I suppose you are a staunch Conservative. No problem. But, you probably can't stand the "entitlement" mindset of the welfare system. But.... right now, THAT is a law of the land! You don't LIKE it?? Why don't YOU move to Canada or somewhere else?? :roll:

Doesn't sound "fair" does it? And "I" would NEVER say that to you just because we might disagree on a subject of law. So, GROW UP.... and leave that playground Bully crap to the kids!

America was FOUNDED on the rights of individuals to disagree about politics! MANY have served and DIED to protect that right. For you, or anyone ELSE, to say I can "love it or leave it," is the HEIGHT of ignorance and despotism! Such an attitude pays a disservice to all the men and women who lie under little white crosses all over the world! As an American, I would be ASHAMED to ever utter such crap! :roll:

But, that is part of the problem today..... too many Americans have no idea what being one MEANS! I am NOT surprised! :roll:

Hobo