User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can I still pass a DOT physical?

Hi all,

It's been a good while since I've been here, and I've been keeping myself quite occupied.
I recently spent some time in Iraq, after being called up from the army reserve. While I was over there, you might say that I lost a bit of weight.
My right leg had to be amputated just below the knee. How it happened, I'd prefer not to talk about, but that's how the cards played out for me.
I'm still going through physical therapy, and it'll probably be a little while before I'm back and up to my old antics.
At some point, I'll have to go for a DOT physical before I go back to driving. But, I've been avoiding this question for some time now, because I'm not entirely certain if I'm ready for the answer. But, it has to be asked, so..

Am I still going to be able to go back on the road, or has this effectively ended any chances of going back out there? I mean, I've noticed some rather unhealthy looking sorts out there on the road, but, as far as I know, they've all been completely intact. Regardless of whatever's said here, I'm going to go and find out firsthand, but I'd like a fair idea of what I can expect before I do. So, anyone have insight about this?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Jeff,

First of all Welcome home! And thank you sincerely for your Service!!!

In answer to your question, there are exemtions for amputees. Here is a link to the section dealing with the exemptions:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1785

I wish you the best with your physical therapy and and getting back on the road!

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the link. From what it says, it might be a possibility, but I suppose there are other things to factor in, like manipulating a gas pedal for hours on end when I don't have an articulated joint in (was was once) my ankle anymore. If it had been my left leg, it wouldn't be so much of an issue, but, of course it couldn't be that simple.
On the up side, my boss man said he'd hire me back. I was running a lowboy for a road construction outfit when I got called up, and, after that, I don't think I really want to go back to OTR. It's a hell of a lot more work, but I was actually doing better financially doing that than I was OTR.. during the peak season, anyhow.. and I never had to drive 11 hours or so straight through, because it was all from site-to-site, moving pavers, bulldozers, and whatever else needed moving.
But I think it's time I seriously weighed other options. I still have my GI Bill from when I was in the active army, so it might be better just to find some good use to put that towards, since I have enough saved up now to carry me over for a long enough duration of time that I could attend and complete a trade school, or something of the sort. I'm not certain I see much of a future in this anymore, so I suppose I'll be joining all the other drivers out there who've decided to hang it up (ever since I got back, there sure does seem to be a lot of them).
And, if all else fails, I suppose I could take a shot at becoming the next famous white rapper, right? Word.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

If it's what you want to do, there are ways to do it. There are modifications that can be installed in any vehicle to enable you to drive. I didn't say it would be a cake walk, but it can be done. Whether you want to still drive is something you're going to have to decide for yourself. My Grandmother didn't learn how to drive until AFTER she had had her leg amputated. She said it made her feel less helpless. So it's up to you.

Sounds like you're already considering alternative careers, which right now may not be a bad idea. The industry is in a bit of a slump.

Again the best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

It would be one thing if I owned a truck, or had a major stake vested in a company. I really can't be certain how many carriers out there would be willing to install such modifications, though. And I'm already driving my own car again, but you're just as well aware as I am about the stark differences between the gas pedal of an Impala vs. that of a commercial vehicle.
Anyhow, we'll see what transpires. Again, I appreciate the link and the advice.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Board Regular

a couple weeks ago I saw a driver climbing out of his cab at the fuel island who had one leg amputated somewhere above the knee. On the side of his cab was stenciled 'The driver of this vehicle carries a federal medical waiver'. As I passed him I said "damn, I thought the handicap spots at the truck stops where a joke" he smiled and said he refuses to use them.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Senior Board Member

when we were in school (nashville, tn.) one day and driver that had goon to the same school stopped by to say hi. he had lost he leg below the knee. when asked about it he said that the only thing he had to do was every time he had to renew his cdl he had to go down to dmv and retake his pre-trip and driving test to show he could still do them...
Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 AM

Sorry Flood you were mis-informed:

Quote:
§391.41 Physical qualifications for drivers.

(a) A person shall not drive a commercial motor vehicle unless he/she is physically qualified to do so and, except as provided in §391.67, has on his/her person the original, or a photographic copy, of a medical examiner's certificate that he/she is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle.

(b)(2)(ii) An arm, foot, or leg which interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks associated with operating a commercial motor vehicle; or any other significant limb defect or limitation which interferes with the ability to perform normal tasks associated with operating a commercial motor vehicle; or has been granted a skill performance evaluation certificate pursuant to §391.49.
Any missing limb requires a Skill Performance Evaluation (SPE).

Be safe.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
skill performance evaluation certificate pursuant to §391.49.
so would the state of tennessee making him retake his pre-trip and driving test (at dmv not 3rd party) every time he renews his cdl count as a performance evaluation....?
Old 04-26-2008, 03:28 AM

An SPE is issued by the FMCSA. A person has to follow the guidance in Part 391.49 and submit all of the required information. Once the application is approved an FMCSA employee arranges for the SPE to occur. The SPE takes approximately 1/2 a day as the person has to perform the pre-trip without any assistance, manuver through an obstical course, and have at least two 20 mile road tests.

Once the FMCSA employee is satisfied the person with the impairment can operate a vehicle safely the SPE is issued for a particular type of vehicle:

Quote:
(c)(3) Description of the commercial motor vehicle(s) the driver applicant intends to drive:

(c)(3)(i) Truck, truck tractor, or bus make, model, and year (if known);

(c)(3)(ii) Drive train;

(c)(3)(ii)(A) Transmission type (automatic or manual—if manual, designate number of forward speeds);

(c)(3)(ii)(B) Auxiliary transmission (if any) and number of forward speeds; and

(c)(3)(ii)(C) Rear axle (designate single speed, 2 speed, or 3 speed).

(c)(3)(iii) Type of brake system;

(c)(3)(iv) Steering, manual or power assisted;

(c)(3)(v) Description of type of trailer(s) (i.e., van, flatbed, cargo tank, drop frame, lowboy, or pole);

(c)(3)(vi) Number of semitrailers or full trailers to be towed at one time;

(c)(3)(vii) For commercial motor vehicles designed to transport passengers, indicate the seating capacity of commercial motor vehicle; and

(c)(3)(viii) Description of any modification(s) made to the commercial motor vehicle for the driver applicant; attach photograph(s) where applicable
The SPE pertains to interstate commerce, depending on the state some states have no provisions for drivers who do not meet the medical standards, i.e. Illinois does not have a program for drivers with diabeties who operate wholly in intrastate commerce.

Be safe.