User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 04:06 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Axle weights hauling doubles...

I've asked this question on one of my other threads but got more confused than I was to begin with because of all the different answers so... I would like to know when hauling doulbe trailers what is the max weight on each axle (6) someone gave me an answer stating that max gross weight for hauling doulbes is 90,000lbs, is this true? Someone also said that the steers=12,000lbs/drives=34,000lbs and each axle on the pups cannot exceed 20,000lbs and if you put all that together for 6 axles thats way more than 90,000lbs. not to mention way more than 80,000. So any info would be appreciated.

Also wanted to let you know take into consideration I will be driving team so drives may be a little heavier than if I was doing solo. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

While the individual axle weights are generally correct you still can not exceed 80,000 lbs total weight in most states.

Pull out your MC atlas and look in the front. There are charts there that tell you what the size and weight laws are for every state. Be careful which chart you look at however as there is one for the national highway system and another for state highways.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Board Regular

Here in our terminal I just asked this question myself. I haul doubles every now and then so I got wondering.

I was told in our company they are allowed to go as high as 28,690 lbs per trailer. I thought that seemed kind of high but, we dont use sleepers and we are only in daycabs so it makes sense.

Hope that helps
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
While the individual axle weights are generally correct you still can not exceed 80,000 lbs total weight in most states.
I agree and would add that a 50 state legal truck can not go over 20,000 pounds on any single axle, including your steer axle, but your tires and axles have to be able to handle that weight.

Sure if you add all 6 axles up you might come up with more than 80k but you still can't exceed your outer bridge calculation or the interstate(50 state legal) 80k gross. I helped a friend set up a day cab and a 28' trailer that is 50 state legal for 80k with 7 axles. His interbridge on his trailer is 55k, 34k on his drives and 16 on his steer and that is 105k total. But his outer bridge is 34' only allowing him 80k.

Now just to make things more fun, if any group of axles are closer than 8 feet, they count as both a single and an axle group. That means not only can you not go over 20k on any single axle but you can't exceed 34k on the pair. This is why you see 10' spread reefers and flats. More than 8' feet apart, 20k per axle. Now it has been a long time since I pulled doubles and I just can't remember if the rear axle of the lead trailer and the axle on the dolly count as an axle pair and are subject to the 34k limit or not. Anybody know the answer?

Now I said 50 state legal over and over again and for good reason, every state can set it's own upper limits as long as they are the federal minimum or greater.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Board Regular

Thanks guys, marlyandkw I didnt even think about that rear axle of the lead trailer and the axle on the dolly if they could be combined or not I guess I'll have to pull out the ole' tape measure.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Yes the atlas is the best answer. Oregon allows triples and now working in sand and gravel our truck and pups and transfers are legal to 105,500, same thing for triples. Axle weights will always add up to more then you are allowed "gross". My 7 axle belly is legal to 90,000 but I could have 12500 on the steers, 9000 on the tag, 32000 on the drives and 42000 on the trailer. Still 90K is the gross. At least in Oregon they will nail you for axle weights before being over on gross. I've seen drivers get warnings when they are 1000 over gross, but get a ticket for being 500 over on an axle.

Confusing, but once you know the truck you are driving and memorize the axle limits, it's pretty easy.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluHeeler
Yes the atlas is the best answer. Oregon allows triples and now working in sand and gravel our truck and pups and transfers are legal to 105,500, same thing for triples. Axle weights will always add up to more then you are allowed "gross". My 7 axle belly is legal to 90,000 but I could have 12500 on the steers, 9000 on the tag, 32000 on the drives and 42000 on the trailer. Still 90K is the gross. At least in Oregon they will nail you for axle weights before being over on gross. I've seen drivers get warnings when they are 1000 over gross, but get a ticket for being 500 over on an axle.

Confusing, but once you know the truck you are driving and memorize the axle limits, it's pretty easy.
Pretty sure he is asking about interstate routes, not secondary roads, interstate is 80,000 without a permit (can be a yearly permit which may be what you are registered under in Oregon) on interstate highways.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:06 PM

Yes everything we have operates on over-limit permits. Transfers and truck-pups are permitted to 105,500. Two axle (trailer) bellies are 80K and three axles are 90K.