User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i have a freind of mine, O/O, who trained me for my CDL and i have worked for him a few times all under the table but he's my best friend and will vouch that i worked for him, but he never reported to DAC either. i did not even keep track 1099 but i also dont want to open a can of worms and get him in trouble either..
tho i'm about to go work for another O/O on a 1099 and he's willing to except my experience, so has any other trucking co. i worked for.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
i'm about to go work for another O/O on a 1099
Unless you have 100% control over when, where, and how you will work this is illegal. You are an employee.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:59 PM

personally i've never filed 1099....dont really know how...never had to b4...
Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Board Regular

Something else to remember that will come back and bite you in the butt in later years if you are working "under the table" or as a independent contractor, our Social Security Retirement is based on your earnings. If you are working under the table or on a 1099 and SSI is not taken out, you well may get to retirement age and realize that you have no income because you screwed the government all those years! If you are "under the table" or Contract, you are supposed to file a self-employment tax to offset this. Not sure how to do it? Contact your CPA or tax-professional for help.

Also, by filing the legal forms, you will have a record of your work history for future employers and won' t have to worry about IRS seizing your assets or at worst case, filing criminal charges and your having to serve JAIL TIME!
Old 09-17-2008, 04:57 PM

If you took advantage of working in this situation, it would seem pretty low to then turn the employer in. Working under the table happens quite a bit, even though it's probably not a good idea, now you have to pay the price.

It's not illegal to work under the table, it's illegal for both you and the employer to not pay taxes.

When things appear to be too good to be true, they usually are.....think that may apply here.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM

ok, i see ur point, but my best friend has been my "under the table" employer, and im certainly not turning him in, hes letting me use him for a reference and job history too...just irs doesnt know anything aboiut it...i dont exist...as i dont claim a single dime i make from him,,,and never will...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Default Re: Under the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy
I have been working for a trucking company under the table for just over a year and would like to drive for a legal company again...
To a legitimate company, working "under the table" is like having never worked at all. All that "experience" you gained while knowingly and willfully working for someone who was purposefully evading tax and labor laws makes you not only inexperienced in the eyes of a legitimate company, it also makes you complicit in the act. If this guy ever gets pinched and rats you out, expect to be wearing jewelry.

Quote:
What should I put on an application that I have been doing for the last year if they don't want me to list their company.
Put "I'm S.O.L".

Quote:
I had 4 speeding tickets and they were the only ones that would hire me at the time and now my driving record is clean.
No wonder you've been "ridin' dirty" for a rouge outfit. I would hope you're not driving a CMV at all anymore.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR9501
ok, i see ur point, but my best friend has been my "under the table" employer, and im certainly not turning him in, hes letting me use him for a reference and job history too...just irs doesnt know anything aboiut it...i dont exist...as i dont claim a single dime i make from him,,,and never will...
Have one accident resulting in a lawsuit against you and you're "secret agent man" existence will come to an end. Hope you have tens of thousands stashed away for all the taxes and penalties you will be paying at that moment and in arrears

That's a pretty stupid thing to brag about, especially on a public internet forum.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD
Quote:
Have one accident resulting in a lawsuit against you and you're "secret agent man" existence will come to an end. Hope you have tens of thousands stashed away for all the taxes and penalties you will be paying at that moment and in arrears

That's a pretty stupid thing to brag about, especially on a public internet forum.
well hopefully you aint gonna turn me in, but i also never thought about it like that either...i mean im sure i'm not the first.....
Old 09-26-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD
Quote:

well hopefully you aint gonna turn me in, but i also never thought about it like that either...i mean im sure i'm not the first.....
I don't know you, even if I did know you I would *not* turn you in. Although it's insulting to me as a taxpayer, you're grown and you know the risks inherent to the way you choose to "roll". I would suggest you keep it on the Q.T., though...