Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Younce
I was wondering if anyone has ever been sited or put out of service because thier city horn ( center of steering wheel ) didn't work ? When I recently got a level 1 inspection , I was asked to blow the horn and noticed my city horn didn't work but my Air horn does. The inspector didn't say anything but you never know what different officers will say. The FMC safety regs just state that you have to have a working horn .

I dont think they can as long as you have a horn

§393.81 Horn.

Every bus, truck, truck tractor, and every driven motor vehicle in driveaway towaway operations shall be equipped with a horn and actuating elements which shall be in such condition as to give an adequate and reliable warning signal.
So, if a child runs out in front of your truck, and you instinctively pound on the steering wheel "actuating element" for the city horn, and no sound comes out to warn the child, and you run him over DEAD.... are you NOT in violation of the REGS??

the way I read it, you're not, it doesnt say the actuating element has to be on the steering wheel, and I dont think there is a law requiring you to blow the horn when a kid runs in front of you. that's just something you do out of common sense. It seems if you know that your city horn doesnt work, you wouldnt be trying to blow it, you would blow your air horn and even if my city horn DID work, I would still blow the air horn, I want to be sure the kid HEARS it!!
with all that said, it probably wouldnt cost more than 20 bucks to fix the city horn, so I would fix it.
Orangetxguy said:

Quote:
Some local ordinance noise limits make air horns to loud to use...which is silly beyond comparison.
Perhaps, that is why trucks are ALSO equipped with a CITY horn??? Like Kirstie Alley says..... "use your INSIDE voice!" Air horns are designed to overcome the loud roar of an engine at high RPM's, and (in some cases) wind noise, so that another DRIVER can hear your warning. Also..... deer and other animals are much more "attentive" to an air horn than a "city horn."

However, at the decibel level of the average city street, a city horn would be adequate as a warning device, whereas.... an air horn can be "excessively" startling, and cause an accident for just this reason.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone on this board ever been cited for either horn being out of service?

How many of us, has driven (knowingly) with one or both horns inoperative?

For those those that have, do you in anyway feel that you compromised yours or the public's safety by doing so?
Old 02-24-2008, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle
Has anyone on this board ever been cited for either horn being out of service?

How many of us, has driven (knowingly) with one or both horns inoperative?

For those those that have, do you in anyway feel that you compromised yours or the public's safety by doing so?
I received a fix it ticket from CHP at the Dunsmir CA inspection shed(SB I-5), for an inoperable city horn in 2003. Wire in the steer column was frayed and shorting.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Board Regular

I have the air horn, the city horn and 2 sets of train horns. Had a TXDOT officer tell me to blow the air horn AND the city horn. Then he noticed the train horns and asked me to blow them. One valve operates both train horns. I did, he dropped his clipboard, picked it back up, told me they were illegal, put CVSA stickers on my truck and off I went.