Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikinTrucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikinTrucka
I did check the air gauges at the tandems and in the cab, they both said about 60 psi, which is usually good, ........

Using a tire guage to determine if you the weight of your payload is an exercise in poor judgement.

Apparently you are not familiar with air gauges. They are on the dash and mounted to the trailer axle area. The pressure reflects the pressure in the air bags. This is a very good reference for axle weight. 60PSI is about equal to 32,000 pounds. In other words, if it reads under 60 PSI, I don't really need to weigh it. However, it is very easy to get an inaccurate reading, that is where experience and good sense take over. I do realize that I am responsible for the load and need to be sure it's legal. I was really just bitchin about the guy who picked up the load for not weighing it, and the company's' nonchalant attitude about me finding a place to weigh it on a Sunday. Bottom line is, I weigh all my loads now, even light ones. And if it's overweight, I just take it back. They can't afford to have a delivery sitting in the yard that was supposed to be delivered the next day. It won't take long before they start requiring loads to be weighed by the guy who picks them up.
And, all our trucks are basically the same, so the weight is pretty accurate. Or, more to the point, since we don't have spread axles, overweight tandems is the most common problem, and this doesn't change much from one truck to another. With an accurate tandem and gross weight, I can accurately assess my drive axles weight.
Gottcha, Chikn'!!

Sorry, I thought that you were referring to a tire guage, and I was scratchin' my head trying to figure that one out.

I've been outta' the cab for a few years now!!

In any event, as I said, what you have here doesn't work for you or your company, so I hope they'll set about finding a solution.

BOL2U!!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I got stopped for being over weight a couple weeks ago in hammond LA I swapped with another driver at the Pilot in Orange TX ...The other driver picked up in east orang TX for BFG ...Now up until now I have always re-weighed a load even if driver said he weighed it and it was good to go ...however this driver said it he weighed it and because the Pilot was super crowded I decided to take a chance , And on my way across LA I got a log book inspection at the scale in Lafayette LA ...good to go...then red lighted on the pre-pass in Hammond where I was 1000lbs over on the trailer...No way did the other driver weigh this load ... We both had identical trucks and besides it's the trailer so truck weight had no bearing on the trailer tandem weight ...I beleive the other driver figured he did not have to cross any scales after p/u so he never bothered to weigh it ...LA gives an 800lb grace ,so to be stopped you're pretty well/good over ...luckily they were cool and give the option to fix it ...which I could easily with 4 holes ,and went across scale again and on my way ....But if it was not fixable simply by sliding and contents of load could not be moved by hand in a pich to redistribute load I'd been screwed escpecially if over gross ...So this incident was basically free of consequence ,but a remioder to always scale no matter how in convenient ...not to mention being stopped at a scale for weight issues just invites further inspection if you peak the DOT officers interest .