User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Diabetes Type 2 questions

My dad went in for his physical for a new company and failed. They diagnosed him with diabetes. Now he's on the pills and could use some help from others in a similar situation on maintaining his glucose levels.

Questions:
Will they test him randomly?

Does he need to get out and do some exercises? Recommended routine?

Where and what to eat and not to eat etc..? Snacking recommendations?

Anything you can think of that isn't here?

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, it's really appreciated.
vB
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Diabetes Type 2 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueboy
My dad went in for his physical for a new company and failed. They diagnosed him with diabetes. Now he's on the pills and could use some help from others in a similar situation on maintaining his glucose levels.

Questions:
Will they test him randomly?

Does he need to get out and do some exercises? Recommended routine?

Where and what to eat and not to eat etc..? Snacking recommendations?

Anything you can think of that isn't here?

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, it's really appreciated.
vB
I would suggest you read http://www.diabetes.org/type-2-diabetes.jsp

As you will find weight control will help more than anything. In many cases if you lose weight you can control Type 2 Diabetes.

Diabetes is nothing to play around with.

kc0iv
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Board Member

First off your Dad should see a dietitian and a diabetes educator. This will help him work out a meal plan and truly understand this disease and how to control it.

The short version is that they will probably recommend a 1800-2000 calorie a day diet. They will most likely advise him to:

Limit protein intake to 8-10 oz per day
Limit carb intake to 45 grams per meal. (1 piece of bread is 15 grams)
Limit salt/sodium intake to 4-5 grams per day
Get 30-45 minutes of cardio vascular exercise 4-5 times per week.
Limit fat intake to 15%-20% of calories per day

When it comes to carbs, you have simple and complex carbs. Complex carbs is what he wants to consume for the most part.

Simple carbs are processed sugars and are also often found in white breads, pastas, and white rice. Complex carbs are found in most other types of foods like fresh fruits, milk, some veggies (corn, peas) whole grain breads and pastas.

Carbs are what effect blood sugar. Fats and proteins do not, however fats can cause blood sugars to remain elevated longer.

Diabetics are at a far greater risk of having high cholesterol as well as high lipid levels, which is another reason to watch fat intake as well as cholesterol intake.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the input..

It's good to get ideas from other drivers in the same position and some examples of what they do while on the road.

Thanks..
vB
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I give some advice here, and I'm sure I'll catch flak for it( lot of Transportation Management Personal Here)

My Sugar level was 408 this morning;

Your dad needs to see a doctor and get medication for his Type-2 diabetes.

What is said, done between His doctor and himself should stay that way.

When he goes in to see the quack--rent a signature to get his DOT medical certificate. There's no real good reason to be completely honest with them-

the urine test for diabetes is so un-reliable----a person would have to be in really advanced stages to be detected by it. And letting them know your business--gets you with conditional certification and means you have to constantly go back and get re-certified regularly with costs you more Money out of your pocket.

I know I'm gonna catch flak on this....and people are going to wave the Safety flag- and say dumb things like "what if he passes out- behind the wheel" etc. But, this passing out is caused by hypoglycemia which is very rear for a Type-2 diabetic( we can only dream of having a 2 digit blood sugar)
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Board Regular

I have type 2. I was told by a diabetic dietician that I still have to be careful when eating fresh fruit, as they have natural sugars in them. That can apparently do you harm as well. Make sure. Weight control and regular exercise will also help greatly. I was told that the diabetes can even go away over time if taken care of properly. I walk every day. When I've stopped to fuel or to eat or when I'm done for the day. I make it a point in walking for at least 15 minutes 3-5 times a day. Best of luck to your Dad.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf_1
I have type 2. I was told by a diabetic dietician that I still have to be careful when eating fresh fruit, as they have natural sugars in them. That can apparently do you harm as well. Make sure. Weight control and regular exercise will also help greatly. I was told that the diabetes can even go away over time if taken care of properly. I walk every day. When I've stopped to fuel or to eat or when I'm done for the day. I make it a point in walking for at least 15 minutes 3-5 times a day. Best of luck to your Dad.
Fruit and dairy both have natural sugars, as do some veggies like sweet peas and corn.

Diabetics especially need to become knowledgeable about foods and about how various foods effect them.

One key to sugar control is to both limit your carb intake to around 75 grams of carbs per meal (or 5 carb units. 15 grams of carbs is one carb unit. A slice of bread is one carb unit), and try to eat the same amount of carbs at each meal and try to eat at the same time each day.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Board Regular

HaHaHa, eat at the same time of day. Good one Uturn. You know how difficult that is when you're on the road. For me it is anyways, but I try my best.
I just finished reading an article in the Yahoo news about stomach banding. In the article it says that gastric bypasses are more common in the States, but in Australia people who are obese and therefore get diabetes have had this stomach banding and have in many cases reversed the diabetes completely, blood sugars returning to normal. Interesting I thought.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf_1
HaHaHa, eat at the same time of day. Good one Uturn. You know how difficult that is when you're on the road. For me it is anyways, but I try my best.
I just finished reading an article in the Yahoo news about stomach banding. In the article it says that gastric bypasses are more common in the States, but in Australia people who are obese and therefore get diabetes have had this stomach banding and have in many cases reversed the diabetes completely, blood sugars returning to normal. Interesting I thought.

MY wife just told me she saw this very thing on the news! But NO way---people also Die due to complications of that surgery. I would never resort to that---then again I'm only 185-195lbs depending on the last Buffet I just consumed. My ideal body weight is a mere 150lbs--- so I just need to stay away from the Milk and Bag of Cookies at Bedtime.
No, I've been able to get my blood sugar down and under control before--it's keeping it down/under control that's hard to do with diet alone.

Small portions---5 meals(snacks) a day----not 1 or 2 binge meals---this causes Spikes in the sugar level.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 AM
Board Regular

What you just said is soooo true Headborg. Keeping it at a steady level sure isn't easy, especially doing this job. For me anyways it's hard to do.