User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbedders: Headache Racks REQUIRED?

I just started with this small startup flatbed company in SoCal. I went and picked up their second 2002 FL Century from the dealer the other day, and took it to the yard in Hemet. I spent quite a bit of time squaring it away, stealing straps and binders from the other truck (found no tarps or coil racks and other stuff, not sure what they want to do about that). Bought two gallons of spare oil and a few other items that apparently they didnt realize you need to keep.

Finally greased the fifth wheel tonight and hooked up the trailer (with questionable tires). Of course, the trailer I'm going to drag has no storage boxes for gear. I crammed the new straps, ratchet binders, and chains in the side box of the tractor. NOT a good long term solution obviously. I looked up and remembered from my TMC days (all 45 of em), that we had a beautiful three cabinet chrome storage headache rack. I have NO RACK on this Freightshaker that they intend to have me drag a loaded skateboard with. Then I remembered something else: someone had told me once upon a time that headache racks were REQUIRED EQUIPMENT when pulling a flatbed. Is this true?

If it is in fact true, I'm going to let them know tomorrow that I need to take the tractor to someone and have one installed. It's bad enough that I'm going to have to sneak the tractor to the dealer or a TA to get the exhaust stack remounted to the exhaust (the freakin clamp is coming off). That leak would surely get me out of service. If towing a flat without a rack will get me shut down also, it's pointless for me to even take a load on Monday, not to mention that I DONT WANT TO BE CRUSHED BY CARGO.

If anyone has any idea, let me know please. I have to take care of this immediately (On THEIR BofA card of course), so I can take a load on Monday.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:23 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Flatbedders: Headache Racks REQUIRED?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhed1964
I just started with this small startup flatbed company in SoCal. I went and picked up their second 2002 FL Century from the dealer the other day, and took it to the yard in Hemet. I spent quite a bit of time squaring it away, stealing straps and binders from the other truck (found no tarps or coil racks and other stuff, not sure what they want to do about that). Bought two gallons of spare oil and a few other items that apparently they didnt realize you need to keep.

Finally greased the fifth wheel tonight and hooked up the trailer (with questionable tires). Of course, the trailer I'm going to drag has no storage boxes for gear. I crammed the new straps, ratchet binders, and chains in the side box of the tractor. NOT a good long term solution obviously. I looked up and remembered from my TMC days (all 45 of em), that we had a beautiful three cabinet chrome storage headache rack. I have NO RACK on this Freightshaker that they intend to have me drag a loaded skateboard with. Then I remembered something else: someone had told me once upon a time that headache racks were REQUIRED EQUIPMENT when pulling a flatbed. Is this true?

If it is in fact true, I'm going to let them know tomorrow that I need to take the tractor to someone and have one installed. It's bad enough that I'm going to have to sneak the tractor to the dealer or a TA to get the exhaust stack remounted to the exhaust (the freakin clamp is coming off). That leak would surely get me out of service. If towing a flat without a rack will get me shut down also, it's pointless for me to even take a load on Monday, not to mention that I DONT WANT TO BE CRUSHED BY CARGO.

If anyone has any idea, let me know please. I have to take care of this immediately (On THEIR BofA card of course), so I can take a load on Monday.

By the way, the trailer also does not have a forward bulkhead. This HAS to be completely illegal, isnt it? There has to be SOMEthing up there either on the tractor or the trailor, right?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Board Icon

Nope. Headache rack requirements were removed from the regs. Still a wise thing to have though.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:48 PM
Senior Board Member

A headach rack or forward bulkhead offer little protection in case you loose a steel load. They will go right through either or both. The are plenty of photo on the internet proving this. Just secure your load properly, build a bulkhead immediatly in front of and touching what you are hauling. I do OK securing and if you want my phone number to ask about a particular load just ask for it. Perhaps, someone with more experience that me will make you the same offer. Your first few loads and the first time you haul a particular will cause you worry, try to never loose that edgy feeling even as you are gaining confidence and you will always secure your load properly.

Semper Fi.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
A headach rack or forward bulkhead offer little protection in case you loose a steel load. They will go right through either or both. The are plenty of photo on the internet proving this. Just secure your load properly, build a bulkhead immediatly in front of and touching what you are hauling. I do OK securing and if you want my phone number to ask about a particular load just ask for it. Perhaps, someone with more experience that me will make you the same offer. Your first few loads and the first time you haul a particular will cause you worry, try to never loose that edgy feeling even as you are gaining confidence and you will always secure your load properly.

Semper Fi.
Actually, I was trained to secure by TMC. Using the TMC securement method, I will not be worried. You can thank Don for that. My TMC trainer, on the other hand, liked to cut corners. I'm getting more 2" straps and will be using X-Straps, something my TMC trainer laughed at, but then, he never went to Des Moines so he always avoided the sneaky eyes of Don and Austin. They'd have him for lunch!! :lol:
Old 11-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Board Regular

As stated, not required but highly recommended! A fast jab of the brakes in a panic stop or a wreck can easily slide a load of pipe no matter how tight you have it chained down even with extra chains on it. The headache will help either slow down the pipe before it comes through the back of the cab or stop it altogether. Yes there are pictures of steel and pipe coming all the way through headaches but I have also seen headaches beat up and battered, bent all until it was pressing against the cab from pipe that was slid from a wreck or panic stop. I watched one of our drivers do this and without the headache I firmly believe the pipe would have been into the cab. I helped him boom his load and I know it was secure, tight and had 2 extra chains above what the regs require.

Until you do get a headache,

1) build a temporary header board out of your extra dunnage in front of the load, chain it down with it toughing the forward end of the load if possible.
2) use more chains and straps than required. Regs require 2 in the 1st 10 feet and 1 at least every 10 feet beyond that. With no headache I would ensure that I had a strap or chain at least every 6 feet or closer.
3) drive like you were hauling raw eggs laying loose on the bed. Slow and easy turns and stops and maintain a SAFE following distance.

Other than that, Just be careful and have a safe trip!
Old 11-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
As stated, not required but highly recommended! A fast jab of the brakes in a panic stop or a wreck can easily slide a load of pipe no matter how tight you have it chained down even with extra chains on it. The headache will help either slow down the pipe before it comes through the back of the cab or stop it altogether. Yes there are pictures of steel and pipe coming all the way through headaches but I have also seen headaches beat up and battered, bent all until it was pressing against the cab from pipe that was slid from a wreck or panic stop. I watched one of our drivers do this and without the headache I firmly believe the pipe would have been into the cab. I helped him boom his load and I know it was secure, tight and had 2 extra chains above what the regs require.

Until you do get a headache,

1) build a temporary header board out of your extra dunnage in front of the load, chain it down with it toughing the forward end of the load if possible.
2) use more chains and straps than required. Regs require 2 in the 1st 10 feet and 1 at least every 10 feet beyond that. With no headache I would ensure that I had a strap or chain at least every 6 feet or closer.
3) drive like you were hauling raw eggs laying loose on the bed. Slow and easy turns and stops and maintain a SAFE following distance.

Other than that, Just be careful and have a safe trip!
Yep, these are exactly the methods TMC taught me. Pipe also gets choke straps, I've personally seen choke straps save a truckers life on the road before.

I already built a bulkhead up front last night before I left the yard. I didnt know whether the rack was required, but I bought extra dunnage (with their card when I went to pick it up for both trucks), and immediately built one with two 4x4's, chains, and a ratchet binder. Test it with a hammer. At very least it will slow down or trip up whatever is sliding forward on it's way to murder me in the cab.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Board Regular

None of our trucks at work have headache racks, some trailers have the head board, and some trailers have them removed to make more room for some loads.

I have never been bothered running without a headache rack or headboard in canada or USA.

I really don't beleive a headboard is gonna do anything to stop a load from sliding anyway, so i don't wory about not having one.

I just drive careful, like i'm pulling a tanker.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy
None of our trucks at work have headache racks, some trailers have the head board, and some trailers have them removed to make more room for some loads.

I have never been bothered running without a headache rack or headboard in canada or USA.

I really don't beleive a headboard is gonna do anything to stop a load from sliding anyway, so i don't wory about not having one.

I just drive careful, like i'm pulling a tanker.
I agree that in most cases, it will not stop the cargo from coming through the cab and your back, but if it at least slows the cargo (pipe, plywood, etc) down before it gets a chance to crush the cab (and me), I'm all for it.

Why it would not be a legal requirement is completely beyond me. You arent allowed to smoke weed like some drink beer (socially), but you are allowed to put yourself at an increased risk by driving a skateboard around without at least MINIMAL protection for yourself.

Government :roll: :roll:
Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Rookie

I know of a numvber of cases where the headache rack did stop the load.
Saved the truck and maybe the driver. Also a good place to store stuff.
It's sort of silly to run around with out one. I would much rather find out theat the rack stopped the load from coming through than wonder if I had had one if it would have worked.