User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
what is a troll as it pertains to this website? some kind of insult?
Yes. :|

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:12 PM

It's not exactly an insult. It's when someone tries to elicit a reaction on a forum by posting something he thinks will CAUSE such a reaction, preferably an adverse one. It's like "baiting" someone or "jerking his chain", or teasing somebody about something the "troll-ER" thinks his opponent is sensitive to. Like somebody that's bald headed and has a bad comb-over and folks tease him about it.

I knew a guy at work who was NEVER without his hat! In the morning in the locker room, he always had a baseball cap on. When it was time to put on his hard hat---SWISH!!! That plastic hat was on in a flash! In the evening, same thing. SWOOOSH! His ball cap was back on in one quick sleight of hand so you couldn't (in his mind) see his receding hairline. Well, one afternoon, one of the boys positioned himself behind "Steve" at his locker, and when "steve" went to put on his cap, the other boy snatched it out of his hand so his comb-over that went from one ear to the other was exposed in all its glory! Almost caused a fight! Horseplay almost got out of hand because "steve" was hyper-sensitive to his baldness. He had started going bald when he was 17. My hair didn't turn LOOSE, but it SURE is turning gray in a hurry!!!! LMAO!

RR
Old 10-27-2007, 11:03 PM

Lost me..........
Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRay
I didn't! It is a direct quote from R Hollingsworth concerning people who are determined to ignore laws regarding radio. IOW, people get told NOT to tread on licensed spectrum and they STILL do it. Hence, the comment from one of the actual regulators!

I "knew" you weren't ON 10 Meters, and I took it as an obvious troll. The quote from RH was just a little "dig" because I knew you were trying to get a rise out of RadioRay. I was being a smart aleck, but all in good fun. :wink:

RR
a direct quote that was stolen from Ron White. " you cant fix stupid" tell them to stop stealing quotes and then we will stop stealing radio signals.. MAYBE
Old 10-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRay
It's not exactly an insult. It's when someone tries to elicit a reaction on a forum by posting something he thinks will CAUSE such a reaction, preferably an adverse one. It's like "baiting" someone or "jerking his chain", or teasing somebody about something the "troll-ER" thinks his opponent is sensitive to. Like somebody that's bald headed and has a bad comb-over and folks tease him about it.

I knew a guy at work who was NEVER without his hat! In the morning in the locker room, he always had a baseball cap on. When it was time to put on his hard hat---SWISH!!! That plastic hat was on in a flash! In the evening, same thing. SWOOOSH! His ball cap was back on in one quick sleight of hand so you couldn't (in his mind) see his receding hairline. Well, one afternoon, one of the boys positioned himself behind "Steve" at his locker, and when "steve" went to put on his cap, the other boy snatched it out of his hand so his comb-over that went from one ear to the other was exposed in all its glory! Almost caused a fight! Horseplay almost got out of hand because "steve" was hyper-sensitive to his baldness. He had started going bald when he was 17. My hair didn't turn LOOSE, but it SURE is turning gray in a hurry!!!! LMAO!

RR
I KNEW you could talk about something other than radios!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 AM
Board Regular

28.415 was rockin and rollin around D.C. this afternoon. At least, until my 1200 watts of echo and 'roger fart' got in there. Then, conditions must have changed as the band became curiously quiet. Oh well, maybe tomorrow. Gotta love this Ranger radio.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:00 AM

Well, I figure this is another troll post, but for the sake of conversation, I'll go for it. Bandit doesn't say if he has the license that permits for use of 10 Meters. And, of course, 28.415 is inside that band and part of the single sideband allocation (voice). And, of course, that would be UPPER sideband. If licensed, no harm; have at it.

If not, then despite the "BIG, BAD CB REDDIO" attitude, the defiance, the disregard for rules, the disrespect for that which is assigned to others. one has to wonder if such people, particularly in the trucking industry, ever wonder WHY the public has a less than stellar impression of the profession? Truckers gripe about "stupid 4-wheelers", chafe at descriptions of drivers as uncouth, long-haired "hippy-looking" miscreants, wonder why people don't fully respect drivers. And this same thing carries thru when it comes to the use of radios. It is the SAME attitude; the bully, the "I've got this here HUGE vehicle that I can run over you with and, therefore, I have a "right" to tawk on them thar channels and you cain't stop me! The drivers make fun of the hams , and the hams make high fun of "your" so-called "SWR'sssssssssss'
and ask "how many SWR'szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz are there in ONE feedline"? And "why do they think that they MUST have 18 feet of coax even if they don't NEED it to get to the radio'? The drivers and CB fellows talk about how ham radio is "dying" when it is actually UP in numbers if "numbers" are the only criteria, and all hams are "old" as if THEY will NEVER become 56 years old. They make high fun of those "old" hams who don't WANT drivers yapping on 10 Meters, and the hams make fun of CB calling it "the chicken band", the 'children's band" and other names. The drivers say that hams only talk about their aches and pains or "boring" things like the efficiency of a circuit; the hams mock the CBers and their often hick accent (put-on?) 'Tan fer thar, ah knows whutcha mean thar, shore do thar, ah gar-an-tol'je thar, mercy sakes, 'live, yore treetop tall and a-blowin' smoke, we down , we done, we gone...................SQEEEEEEEEEEK! The cb boys go down to Joe's Truck Stop and CB Hack Shops, throw down their money for illegal "
peak and "tune(?)" jobs, illegal 10 Meter radios, amplifiers, "extree" channels and tell the whole world, 'Ah am the biggest thing (truck) and the baddest reddio station, and ah'm gonna go on them thar channels cuz I am just soooooooooooo BAD and ah got them spay-shul 'rah'ts to tawk. Ah don't need no license. And the LICENSED, LEGITIMATE users of those frequencies object-----How DARE they call into question my criminal activities? THEY see such "radio operators" as uncouth, disrespectful, outlaws, worthy of contempt. These people did NOTHING to actually EARN the privilege of having "extree channels". They went out and bought an illegal "souped up" radio, they depend on some hack that likely is NOT a electronics-degreed professional, they believe that there are such a thing as "SWR's(sssssssssss plural)"and EVERY radio must have 18 feet of coax. They are APPLIANCE operators--same as anyone who goes to Circuit City and buys a TV!

Now all this SOUNDS like a blanket condemnation of ALL drivers and CB operators. It is not. It is only supposed to get even the most outlaw operator to see the OTHER side of the issue and why the hams (most of them) see the activities of some of the outlaw drivers/cbers as so utterly disdainful! For one thing, may of those older hams that the outlaw types make fun of actually BUILD their own equipment, particularly antennas. That curious-looking antenna that just passed you that you can't figure out could have been built by the ham himself. He also often can recognize and diagnose many problems and fix them himself rather than relying on some hack shop out back of the truck stop! 8) The outlaw simply buys a "10K" and expects someone else to set it up for him. The ham can take some copper tubing and make his OWN "10K" for pennies!
The outlaw operator never HAD to do ANYTHING for his ability to talk, nor does he know (in most cases) doodly squat about radio, so his attitude is simply one of "Hey, I bought this radio an' I kin tawk on it if I want to!!"
The licensed ham who had to study for his privileges, take tests, burn the midnight oil finds the presence of outlaws and unlicensed interlopers unfair and just plain WRONG! Is it any wonder the hams take umbrage when they find unauthorized operators on their frequencies?

To the casual, undisciplined CBer, being on 28.415 might be "funny". To the ham who WORKED for the privilege of being there, it isn't at all amusing, and it is why, when they DO find truckers operating there, they will not hesitate to drop a dime on you! That's just the way it is!

RR
Old 11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

damn ray. no disrespect but using something that is not theirs. as you say a cb'r using the 10 meters, we say an amatuer radio guy using the truck drivers forums. if you look at it like that its kinda the pot calling the kettle black isn't it???? by the way, why on earth do you let us all bother you so? and when you type the accents to make us all sound like dumb rednecks as your sterotypes of truckdrivers kinda pisses me off!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:09 PM

Well. Didn't you guys post the "troll" posts to piss ME off??? Y'all pulled MY leg, so I yanked back harder! :P LMAO!
Did I "gitcha" goat? :wink:

RR
Old 11-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Board Regular

Because radio waves are tuned wavelengths of energy, we have to take into account the coax cable length. A typical 11-meter signal has a basic wavelength of 36 feet/wave. "Tuning" the coax for the exact full wavelength tends to throw off the SWR meter by not allowing any standing waves to return to the meter. Excess RF on the coax has been given an ideal medium by which to "hide" electrically from your SWR meter. That is not to say that the excess RF is not returning to the radio, you just can't see it on your meter.

What we want to do is create an environment where any excess RF (standing waves) are rendered as visible as possible to the meter. This is effectively done by using multiples of the 1/2-wavelength of the radiated signal. One half wave for the 11-meter band is 18 feet. :shock: :shock: However, this is not the length that you will cut your coax. There is another factor that affects the length. This is Velocity Factor. The velocity factor is basically a term for how fast the signal moves through the coax. This factor affects the overall electrical performance of the coax and thus needs to be accounted for when determining the true half wave length

Yeah, most people read it in a cb repair book somewhere.

But, what do I know? I'm just a truck driver.

Yes, Ray, I am a licensed Ham and I just like a good pissin match. The 2 radios I run in my truck, however, are FCC illegal. I have a Superstar 3900 and a Ranger 2950. I like them very much, as they have frequency range I desire for mobile. The FT1100 is just too big for the dash.