User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Interstate Driving Under 21

All right. Not sure how if this was mentioned before, but I was just browsing along and came across a proposal a few years back to pilot a program to let CDL holders under 21 drive interstate. There were increased schooling and training requirements, etc, but of course the proposal was canked because those of us under 21 just aren't mature.

Search for 8410

Am I saying that the rest of my generation is that mature? No, but at the same time, most of them don't come close to the driving experience that I've had. And experience can only come with that... experience. I know how my pickup handles at highway speed. I know that a rig will handle differently, and I won't know what to expect until I get there. But with the additional training period, with the idea of safety being impressed upon those who feel this is the career for them, they will be far more mature and capable than those in the same age group who are simply licensed without any real driving course.
As for myself, I was working 9pm to 5am on my own at a convenience store from 16 til I turned 18. Most of my time driving on my permit was in the middle of winter at night, or when summer came, on the highway going up to my cottage. Now I live a good 10 hours from home and usually wind up making the drive home and back about once a month. I know my own limits, I know the limits of my vehicle. I respect both, because that's how I was taught. I don't see any other person seriously thinking of truck driving looking at it any other way.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Interstate Driving Under 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRebelGuardnU
All right. Not sure how if this was mentioned before, but I was just browsing along and came across a proposal a few years back to pilot a program to let CDL holders under 21 drive interstate. There were increased schooling and training requirements, etc, but of course the proposal was canked because those of us under 21 just aren't mature.

Search for 8410

Am I saying that the rest of my generation is that mature? No, but at the same time, most of them don't come close to the driving experience that I've had. And experience can only come with that... experience. I know how my pickup handles at highway speed. I know that a rig will handle differently, and I won't know what to expect until I get there. But with the additional training period, with the idea of safety being impressed upon those who feel this is the career for them, they will be far more mature and capable than those in the same age group who are simply licensed without any real driving course.
As for myself, I was working 9pm to 5am on my own at a convenience store from 16 til I turned 18. Most of my time driving on my permit was in the middle of winter at night, or when summer came, on the highway going up to my cottage. Now I live a good 10 hours from home and usually wind up making the drive home and back about once a month. I know my own limits, I know the limits of my vehicle. I respect both, because that's how I was taught. I don't see any other person seriously thinking of truck driving looking at it any other way.
While you may very well be the exception to the rule the majority of 18-21 year olds don't seem to be able to make the decisions required to be an OTR truck driver. As I'm sure you are aware there is more to truck driving than holding a steering wheel.

In respect to your statement "I don't see any other person seriously thinking of truck driving looking at it any other way." If you just look at many of the post on this website you see many of these younger driver (and even some of the older age drivers) listing several tickets and accident(s). Another factor is the number of failed drug test these same people seem to have.

You see the same thing in the insurance industry in general. Young driver are a higher risk than older drivers. There was a time when insurance companies had a higher rate for young male drivers and young female drivers was charge a much lower rate. Now however the higher rates are closer for both. Why? Mainly because they were having to the same percentage of claims.

It has amazes me that 18-21 year olds can get a CDL at all.

kc0iv
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
While you may very well be the exception to the rule the majority of 18-21 year olds don't seem to be able to make the decisions required to be an OTR truck driver.
Neither do most of the 21-30 year olds they have been hiring of late either. :lol:
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

USMC.... don't feel bad... When I got on the plane for Vietnam, I wasn't "mature" enough to vote, buy a beer, buy a car or much else. But I was old enough to join the service, defend my country, serve it and possibly die for it. Go figure, huh?

Tried to buy a beer in Hawaii....not old enough. On the way home after almost two and half years in country.... I was "finally" old enough to buy a beer there. But when I got home....as a US Army Sergeant with 4 combat stripes.... I still couldn't buy a beer, vote, or buy a car in Florida.

Its an "insurance" thing for the most part. And while you may be mature enough based on your experience and having spent time in the Corps (Thank You for your service, by the way).... you have to just get out on the highway and look at some of your peers to see why the rules are there. And Part Time Dweller is also right.....some of the slightly older crowd still have their "heads in rectal defilade" :shock: :shock:

Give it time. You've got lots of it. Besides, were I you, and if I knew back when I was your age what I know now..... I would spend my time post service getting a serious degree and having more fun....making up for lost time and all that... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.