User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 09:18 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

is it me, or what?

why do they want to change the 11hr rule or the 34hr restart in the first place?

this whole log book thing is for the birds anyway, someone told me only the usa canada and japan have log books

i guess the rest of the world has bodies and wrecked four wheelers strewn all over their roads
Old 09-15-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahawus
I think that if they govern all trucks that the highways will be locked up. It is bad enough now when jb and swift try to pass, imagine how it will be with all trucks goverened? Not to mention the extra money the states will loose from giving out less speeding tickets.
i propose putting orange triangles on the back of jbhunt and swift trucks

they can ride with the amish
Old 09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raafi
is it me, or what?

why do they want to change the 11hr rule or the 34hr restart in the first place?

this whole log book thing is for the birds anyway, someone told me only the usa canada and japan have log books

i guess the rest of the world has bodies and wrecked four wheelers strewn all over their roads
A Group known as Public Citizen, which is the umbrella group of PATT, CRASH and a couple of others, sued the FMCSA over protocol violations in coming up with the current rules. One of Public Citizens sole purposes in Life is to make truck drivers lives, a living H%&$!

The court actually did not throw out the 11 and 34 hour provisions! The court ruled that the FMSCA did not follow the correct procedures, i.e. dot the i's and cross the t's, in publishing the current rules. OOIDA and the ATA have both filed petitions to have the rules reinstated that allowed the split sleeper berths, basically.

1 - join OOIDA, new membership is only $25.00 if you use a current members ID # or mention Dale Sommers or Bill Mack on the application. The are there to fight for the American Truck Driver. Not just Owner Operators, all truck drivers. The more members they have, the louder the voice in Washington.

2. Contact your senators and congressman and let your opinions be known. Although they are not directly involved in making the regulations of the FMCSA, they can put a bug in the ear of those that do.

3. Keep aprised of the status of the suits and what the FMCSA plans to do! They will be required to publish a notice of proposed rule making, that usually last 30 to 60 days <this was one of the faults the court ruled on. When that period comes up, get online, read the document carefully, it can be boring, but educational. Once you have read the document, sign in to the comments sections and leave your opinion. Be concise and to the point of what you are commenting on and your opinion on how it should be. DO NOT leave a one liner like "I do not approve" or "I hate these rules". And be courteous and professional in the comments. Those that rude or vulgar wording are automatically trashed. The comment periods are open to everyone, drivers, public, lawmakers, etc. It is up to us to adequately express our views and what we as drivers need.

I have more on this, but need to go out and get some chores done, Have a Nice Day all!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-15-2007, 05:27 PM

i was going to apply to OOIDA, until i heard that they supported this 68mph limiter and the black box thingamajig

but we have to do something, these people wont stop until truck driving becomes a minimum wage job
Old 09-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
i was going to apply to OOIDA, until i heard that they supported this 68mph limiter and the black box thingamajig

but we have to do something, these people wont stop until truck driving becomes a minimum wage job
I suggest you find a new source for your information.

I can't say anything about 68 MPH directly but I do know OOIDA has been leading the way on keeping "black boxes" out of trucks. Doing a search of OOIDA website I found many comments in respect the lowering of truck speeds. In all that I read they are against any reduction of any truck speed that makes truck speed lower than auto speeds.

As far as "black boxes"

See:
http://www.ooida.com/at_issue/HOS/OOIDA_slams_EOBs.html
http://www.ooida.com/straight_talk/1...R_Comments.PDF

and many more. I suggest you search OOIDA website and enter "Black Box" and "MPH".

kc0iv
Old 09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

Ummmmmmmm..if you were to count all the "time" away from home, while you are driving OTR, as "work" time, then truck driving wages, for most, are below minimum wage.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:38 PM

thank you for that correction KC
Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

You have your facts mixed up with the ATA, the ATA is out for big business. OOIDA is for the good of the truck driver.

The ATA has on numerous occasions, publicly, backed the black boxes and the governed speed limits. In fact, it was the ATA that petitioned the FMCSA to implement the speed limiters.

Here, I have provided a link that will clear things up for you:

http://www.ooida.com/Documents/Press...d_limiter.html

Nowhere and at no time has OOIDA favored the Black Box or the 68mph issue. If you would go to there website and do a search, read up on there briefs to the FMCSA. If it were not for the efforts of OOIDA, we would all be driving 8 hour days at 60 mph, that is what Public Citizen wants.
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:

I suggest you find a new source for your information.

I can't say anything about 68 MPH directly but I do know OOIDA has been leading the way on keeping "black boxes" out of trucks. Doing a search of OOIDA website I found many comments in respect the lowering of truck speeds. In all that I read they are against any reduction of any truck speed that makes truck speed lower than auto speeds.

As far as "black boxes"

See:
http://www.ooida.com/at_issue/HOS/OOIDA_slams_EOBs.html
http://www.ooida.com/straight_talk/1...R_Comments.PDF

and many more. I suggest you search OOIDA website and enter "Black Box" and "MPH".

kc0iv
Oops, guess I should have read the next couple of post before I replied. Thanks KC0IV. Although I did provide the link to clear up the speed limiter issue.
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman

Oops, guess I should have read the next couple of post before I replied. Thanks KC0IV. Although I did provide the link to clear up the speed limiter issue.
I find the number of drivers that don't know what OOIDA does surprising. Be an O/O or a company driver. I don't agree with everything OOIDA does but I agree with most.

Thanks for the link. I new it was there but didn't take the time to find it. In addition maybe Raafi (and others) will go to OOIDA and find out what they are about.

kc0iv