LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "Under a dispatch"

In another thread, Dawn said:

Quote:
In Canada they are looking for this permission (from USA drivers going into Canada) from the company and the older DOT officers might ask for this permission for you to log off duty at any point while under a dispatch.
I see this "under dispatch" criterion come up frequently on here, and if this is really, technically true, then I never have an off-duty minute in my life.

I live in the middle of a dedicated run. From the load's perspective, I pick up in the afternoon, drive up to the delivery point, and drop off 10+ hours early. Then I pull out the next day after the delivery time of the load, and take my "back haul" back to the original loading point. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Right now, my trailer is sitting in the dock it doesn't have to be in until Tuesday morning, and my truck is sitting across town. It sure feels like off duty to me, but it sounds like since I don't have an off-duty card, a real stickler could say I have to be on line 4 this whole time, or else in the bunk for three plus solid days; neither of which is remotely sensible. I guess a really ridiculously anal freako could say I have "abandoned my load," since my trailer is up yonder behind a manned security checkpoint, and I'm not currently paying the slightest attention to it.

It's an interesting wrinkle, living at the "wrong" end of a trip like this. I guess I pretty much just have to take my chances on someone giving all my papers a literal reading with a fine-toothed comb. What else can I do? (Except ask for an off-duty card. I wonder why they didn't give me an off-duty card? Not that anyone ever asked to see the one I had for my old job in 10 years, mind you.)
Old 05-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Ask your boss to write you a letter saying that you have permission to log off duty for all breaks.

However it can be argued, that once you put the trailer where the shipper or receiver wants it you have been relieved of all responsibility for that load, as the customer has taken possession of the trailer and/or cargo, until you pick up your reload at what ever end you are at. Therefore you can log off duty if you want.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:38 AM
Board Regular

I will search for this one regulations link I had. It had the rule then Q & A below the topic. I loved that link it was so specific, well Canada is more specific than the USA. To me they are. I will see what I can find out.

The driver is supposed to leave me some documentation this weekend on my desk. He calls daily when he goes to Canada and ask many questions. THe officer actually gave him a number and e-mail address to contact anyone with questions (It is at work). I can give it to you as well since you are there allot.

Are you a USA driver following USA regulations except the ones that Canada is stricter on or do you switch USA to Canada regs. I say it is just easiest to stay on USA regs and remember the few things they are stricter on. That''s my opinion though. :roll:
Old 05-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Are you a USA driver following USA regulations[?]
Yes. I don't run Canada at all.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Senior Board Member

SNI logbooks have the "permission to log meals off duty" written on them, alot of companies do that or they give you a little card to keep in your wallet :lol:
Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Are you a USA driver following USA regulations[?]
Yes. I don't run Canada at all.
Ok I was assuming (I do that often) that you was in Canada.

Where are you staying when the trailer is one place and the truck is in the other place? Are you staying home? Are you @ a truck stop with your truck?

If you are at a truck stop, well that is simple (What U-turn said is correct about the load is now the customers responsibility basically).
When you are at a truck stop and you are away from your truck you should log off duty. When you are in the sleeper you log in the sleeper.
Logging all that time in the sleeper will definetly get the DOT"s attention and they will be asking you questions like. You never got out of the sleeper for 3 days? Then so on a bunch of questions to catch you lieing.
which you wouldn't know there is anything wrong so you will say yeah I hung out and ate dinner in the truck stop and he will say you falsified your logs cause you logged in the sleeper while you was away from the truck.

If the company/customer lets you drop the trailer and you drop it accordingly to everyone's requirements you should be relieved from that load. You would be best off having a message sent to qualcom relieving you of responsibility or a pre-printed paper (company letter head) etc. Many different ways to get that acomplished.

So I won't search for the Canada information unless you or anyone else wants me to. I do want to find it though, it had everything you needed to know! It even helped clear up some of the USA regs a little clearer since we are alike on some. Theirs is just much clearer and direct answers :lol:
Old 05-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Board Icon

Silvan:

I don't know squat about dedicated runs, but aren't they listed under two different manifest numbers? Aren't you given a "load assignment" for the outgoing load, and then a separate one for the return trip?

If so, DON'T acknowledge the return trip until your tractor is back under the loaded trailer.

That way, once you have sent the macro for "arrived at consignee" and the trailer is in the dock and you are NOT "powered," you are OFF DUTY until you return for your trailer. THEN, and only then, must you acknowledge the "dispatch" of the return load assignment.

You are not sitting around waiting for a dispatch, because you know when to go back and get your trailer. I'm sitting at home right now, and I'm not "waiting to be dispatched" even though I know that when I call in, they may tell me I'm going out Monday night. That doesn't mean I am "dispatched." I will not be considered under dispatch until I get in my truck, read it on the qualcom, and "acknowledge it." (While driving there in my POV, I am NOT under dispatch.)

I think it is clearly understood by FMCSA, that whenever you DROP your trailer and go home, or elsewhere, it is out of your control, and you are OFF DUTY, until you LEAVE your house/motel etc, to go power up your trailer. Notice, that legally, you are "UNDER DISPATCH" when you leave to go get under the trailer for the next trip. (even though you haven't acknowledged the load yet on the qualcom / as long as you are driving the company CMV to get there.)

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.