User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Also to add. When taking the state test you have to check the oil, coolant, wiper fluid, engine block, exhaust manifold, steering components, brake chambers, slack adjusters, springs, spring shackles ect... make sure there are no missing parts and they are not hanging, broke or any cracks on the components. All that is not required any more for a proper PTI inspection?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Board Regular

Posttrip: If you notice the posttrip has more items to be checked AND you have to fill out a report. Someone posted these above.
Pretrip: This is a walk around of what repairs was made to the posttrip and to check the items listed in the pre-trip (someone posted these above).

If you do a thorough posttrip @ night then your 14 hour clock is not being interrupted and you can get your truck in the shop and go to a hotel and take your 10 hour break while it is being repaired.
As to waiting until after a 10 and then finding the truck needs to spend 10 hours in the shop. Which makes you up 10 hours while the truck is being repaired, which means OK now I am to tired to drive.

Now the pre-trip if the truck was repaired should be a thorough inspection to assure no one caused a new problem.

Most officers are/was looking for a minimum of a 15 minute in any 24 hour period. Which is wrong, because they would allow you to drive 2 hours and then do a pretrip. This should not be acceptable. The pretrip should be done RIGHT before you get behind the wheel.

While both inspections are important, the posttrip should be your complete inspection and during the pre-trip you should check everything DOT list. You should log how long it takes you to do your pre-trip.

DOT does not tell you how long to log ANYTHING! They use common sense and proof. The proof on the pre & post can come to this. You say you can do it in 15 minutes and they say let me see you do it in 15 minutes and every minute after you will be fine if it isn't complete. This has been known to be done!

Believe it or not guys it is in your best interest to thoroughly check the truck/trailer at the end of the day.

If picking up a new tractor/trailer you should be inspecting that equipment very thoroughly.

If you flag it took you less than 15 minutes you should state how long it took you.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
Also to add. When taking the state test you have to check the oil, coolant, wiper fluid, engine block, exhaust manifold, steering components, brake chambers, slack adjusters, springs, spring shackles ect... make sure there are no missing parts and they are not hanging, broke or any cracks on the components. All that is not required any more for a proper PTI inspection?
You need to do what you feel you have to do in regards to ensuring that the vehicle is in safe operating condition.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Most officers are/was looking for a minimum of a 15 minute in any 24 hour period. Which is wrong, because they would allow you to drive 2 hours and then do a pretrip.
That's a bold claim, Dawn. Please cite the regulation that allows this, since it would contradict §396.13.

Quote:
§396.13 Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
This should not be acceptable. The pretrip should be done RIGHT before you get behind the wheel.
Quote:
DOT does not tell you how long to log ANYTHING! They use common sense and proof. The proof on the pre & post can come to this. You say you can do it in 15 minutes and they say let me see you do it in 15 minutes and every minute after you will be fine if it isn't complete. This has been known to be done!
Weren't you the one who was claiming that you had people who drove for your company that could do a FULL pre trip inspection in less than 15 minutes? :roll:
Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
I tend to fuel first thing in the mourning so I can save that 15 mins.. I log fuel/pretrip as 15 mins time. Also when I do a drop/hook/pretrip as 30 mins. I guess I will keep doing what I'm doing.
If you show the fuel at the end of your day it will not count against your 14 hour period . That is an advantage to you.
Have a great night.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Most officers are/was looking for a minimum of a 15 minute in any 24 hour period. Which is wrong, because they would allow you to drive 2 hours and then do a pretrip.
That's a bold claim, Dawn. Please cite the regulation that allows this, since it would contradict §396.13.

Quote:
§396.13 Driver inspection.

Before driving a motor vehicle, the driver shall:

(a) Be satisfied that the motor vehicle is in safe operating condition;

(b) Review the last driver vehicle inspection report; and

(c) Sign the report, only if defects or deficiencies were noted by the driver who prepared the report, to acknowledge that the driver has reviewed it and that there is a certification that the required repairs have been performed. The signature requirement does not apply to listed defects on a towed unit which is no longer part of the vehicle combination.
This should not be acceptable. The pretrip should be done RIGHT before you get behind the wheel.
Ok and?? I don't understand what you question as to what I state. The pretrip is to make sure the "driver" is satisfied there is nothing wrong with the vehicle and all repairs found on the "POST-TRIP" was fixed? So? This only helps back me up in what I am stating here! If a driver does a thorough inspection at night he/she should only do the pretrip items I listed above. If the vehicle hasn't moved you should only check what could go wrong and if the truck was repaired, I sure in the HELL would check everything on my truck to assure they didn't screw something else up!

Quote:
Weren't you the one who was claiming that you had people who drove for your company that could do a FULL pre trip inspection in less than 15 minutes? :roll:
Some drivers can! I said if you can do it in less than 15 minutes then you can flag it, if you cant you should log it how long it takes you! Therefore I am not telling ANY DRIVER how long to log it! It would be wrong of me to tell a driver to LOG 15 minutes for ANYTHING! What if it took him 30 minutes? Hmm I just told him to log 15 minutes. So basically I just told him to falsify his log books, NOT ME .

I have said before and will say again! You should always log how long it TAKES YOU! No one can tell you how long it takes you to do something, but it is common sense some things can not be done in less than 15 minutes.

Again I am on the inside and I know what DOT audits for when they come in the company. Which if they pull you as a driver and you are doing something incorrectly, they can mail you a letter stating you owe them $1,000.00 for this or that. Dollar amounts vary . Getting by on the road is farely easy (although getting harder),
but when they come inside the office that is when you need to really be concerned.

Again Rev: I do not tell drivers how long to log anything . As you tell them to log 15 min pre & post. What if the driver took 1 hour to do a pre-trip? You just told him to falsify his log sheets. :roll:
Old 03-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Dawns story constantly changes..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Dawn your driver's must have the worst record(s) in the history of truck driving. Seeing you say " I am on the inside and I know what DOT audits for when they come in the company." Most companies are lucky to see D.O.T. every few years. Yet the way you tell it they must have a office inside your company. Or are using just stretching the truth to appear more important than you are?

kc0iv
Old 03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
So basically I just told him to falsify his log books,
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
As you tell them to log 15 min pre & post.
Please cite the post where I told ANYONE to only log 15 minutes for a pre trip or post trip.

Quote:
What if the driver took 1 hour to do a pre-trip?
Then they should log one hour.

Quote:
You just told him to falsify his log sheets. :roll:
Nope. Learn to read.

You still haven't justified this little nugget:

Quote:
This is BLATANTLY WRONG and shows how little you know.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Board Regular