User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Abandonment

Would someone legally define this term in trucking. I went w/this half-ass
company so a friend of mine could get his CDL's and we could run team. Now over three months past, I'm still in a truck that has broke down eight
times and I'm starving to death. I'm wanting to turn the truck in at one of their terminals but, they say I can't deadhead. Someone help me out with the law regarding this. They've threatened me w/abandonment on my record, a fine, and reporting to all future employers..... :?:
Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Abandonment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickwillie
Would someone legally define this term in trucking. I went w/this half-ass
company so a friend of mine could get his CDL's and we could run team. Now over three months past, I'm still in a truck that has broke down eight
times and I'm starving to death. I'm wanting to turn the truck in at one of their terminals but, they say I can't deadhead. Someone help me out with the law regarding this. They've threatened me w/abandonment on my record, a fine, and reporting to all future employers..... :?:
Give notice via the phone, writing (certified mail), or qualcomm (if they use it), and ask where the truck should be left. Put the ball in their court.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as I know ( I could be wrong) If you bring the truck to the terminal where you got it, they can't hang an abandonment on you. They could however hang a "quit under load" title on you, but that shouldn't shock too many people. You need to talk to the head honcho and not some dispatcher and tell them that you need to get this truck back ASAP and what is going on. Right now, Id say they are guilty of false imprisonment. Telling you that you cannot leave and then making sure that you cant get back is just pretty sad! I'd would start taking plenty of pictures of the equipment and start documenting EVERYTHING that you do and EVERYWHERE you go! Get receipts, copies of all your bills and everything.

Do your best to ride this out and don't do anything in the way of aggressive discussions with anyone at the company! None of that! Act like they are the best folks in the world, get out the "right way" and then get the hell away from them!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Here is what you need to do.

1. Put your notice of resignition in, in writing, with a specific date that you are quitting on. Make a keep a copy for yourself.

2. Send the letter certified mail, return reciept requested.

3. Ask where they want their truck returned to.

4. Get a camera and take pictures of the rig the day you turn it in to document the exact shape it is in.

5. Make sure to get someone to sign a reciept for the rig and all equipment.

6. Make a copy of all trip reciepts and freight bills between now and when you actually quit. Also keep a separate "trip log" that includes starting and ending points for each trip, paid miles, trip numbers, etc.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Equipment Turn-in

What Fozz and Uturn said. I would be interesting to know the company so others can avoid it. BOL