User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 60/70 Hour rule

I am trying to find in the dot regs that say you can work over 60/70 hours. I know that you can work past your 60/70 hours but you cant drive. Our company says that the regs says you cant work past the 60/70 and i have been told you can but cant find it in the dot regs.
Our company uses a computer program to audit our logs and the program says you cant work over 60/70 hrs and the 34 hour restart doesn't apply
Old 01-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

The reg is as follows:

Quote:
§395.3 Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles.

b) No motor carrier shall permit or require a driver of a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle to drive, nor shall any driver drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, regardless of the number of motor carriers using the driver's services, for any period after-

(b)(1) Having been on duty 60 hours in any period of 7 consecutive days if the employing motor carrier does not operate commercial motor vehicles every day of the week; or

(b)(2) Having been on duty 70 hours in any period of 8 consecutive days if the employing motor carrier operates commercial motor vehicles every day of the week.
So the key word is DRIVE. There is no limitation on how long you can work on line 4.

However, Your company policy will always trump the DOT regs. Sorry.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 01-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Board Regular

they don't have a problem if we work over the 60 hours since it is legal to do so just had to let them know we can and we can still reset our 60/70 after 34 hours down
thanks for the help
Old 01-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Before the latest revisions if you were in violation you could not use the 34 hour restart until you were no longer in violation. Many, if not all, log auditing programs have a problem with deciding if time over the 14 or 60/70 hour rule was a violation or not so it defaulted to the overage being a HOS violation.

Add to that the problem of companies taking the computer's take on a log as being the truth, now and forever, and you get a lot of violations when there is none. Especially since so many of the people the have in the safety department have no clue as to what the HOS really says.

IMHO two of the worst groups for passing on false info regarding trucking regs is the LEO's and company safety officers.