User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tell Me Whats Going On With HOS (California)

I have been driving for many years, and wrenching, but for a fire department so I didn't ever care about HOS. But now I am going to work for a propane company so I am going to have to at least know what it's about.

I will not be more than 100 air miles from base so I assume I do not have to keep a log.

The state's commercial license book always used to explain HOS regulations but the most recent one it does not it just says you have to look it up.

I did a google search and it refers me to some regulations but some are state and some are federal and I am not sure which ones apply, and they are written in lawyerese.

Additionally I came across something that said that they were attempting to harmnoize them with federal regulations but that there is a moratorium on new regulations so the old state regs still were in effect for the time being. This seemed to be dated 2006.

The most I could figure is that I am allowed to drive for 10 hours and no more than 80 hours on duty in 8 days but it could also be a shorter period of days and I can't make sense of the time off requirements or anything.

Maybe someone can point me to a web page that summarizes it better?

Thanks
Birken
Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 AM
Senior Board Member

Assuming you stay Intrastate in California and are not hauling any type of hazardous materials:

You may drive up to 12 hours unless you are driving a tank vehicle with a capacity of 500 gallons or more and transporting flammables.

You may not drive after having been on duty for more than 80 hours in any 8 day period.

If you are hauling hazmat, driving interstate, etc then you are governed by the federal regs:

PART 395 Hos Regs
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Yes I am hauling propane locally. So I will check out the fed regs.

Thanks
Birken