User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 10 meter radios...

If the FCC really wanted to "police" this issue, it seems to me it should start at the retail level. The TA's, Petro's, Flying Hook's, etc. that sell these "big radios," especially the ones with employees that don't know what they're talking about when they sell it.

Back in July of 2000, I flew out to Kansas City, Ks. from New England to purchase my last truck from Shelby Elliott Used trucks, Inc. After I left his yard and crossed the mighty muddy river, I swung into the TA in Kansas City, Mo., to "treat" myself to a brand new radio, as I didn't have one, and didn't want to make the trek back east without some form of communication to the outside world. (Especially since I had lined up a load to bring back on a temporary cardboard marker plate... :wink: )

I went in to the store and did some impulse buying. I wanted the prettiest, shiniest most expensive CB I could get from the display case.
I think I bought a Galaxy something or other...for $279.00 I recall.

Luckily, I installed it in the parking lot, and when I keyed up, nobody heard me! I tried a few times until it dawned on me, "you idiot, this must be a 10 meter radio"...I boxed it back up, and returned back inside to the "ditsy" young girl clerk that sold me the thing. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about, called the manager, and I showed him on the box what it was. (Yes, I know,...I should have picked up on that before...shoot me...I was preoccupied with my new used 379 at the moment...)

He was all confused. I just wanted to trade it in for a normal radio, and did. I took a Uniden Grant XL, and got about $100.00 back in turn. That radio worked excellently for 6 years until I sold the truck last week with it still in it, working fine.

I had the echo board and uppers & lowers installed, and it sounded great. I received a frequency chart from the tech who did the work, and he told me up front the day I paid him for the work, "here's the channel chart, I highlighted the frequencies that are legal to use, and STAY OFF OF 10 METER BANDS!!!" I never forgot what he said, and I honored that request since day one. He did clue me in on the "International Free Frequency", or 555, (triple-nickel,) where all the big diehards and geeks go to test out their 100K watt mobile setups in their cars, pickups and Suburbans. They run 3 alternators, multiple batteries, gigaintc "Rods of God" antennas, etc. (You professional electronic technicians know what I'm talking about...I'm just a dumb truck driver...)

My point is, I never once abused the privilige of the "extree" channels, not even once. I drive too fast, I load too heavy, I haul stuff with cardboard markers, etc., but for some unknown reason, I've never crossed that carrier beam line. I chose to have my radio modified, to be able to talk to my fuel hauling buddies throughout the northeast on certain "quiet channels", and still do without disturbing a single soul. They are not in the 10 meter spectrum, so what's the big deal if we are using them...

God knows on regular CB, especially channel 19, you can't say 2 words without some jerk telling you it's the "business channel", then the next guy keys up just to burp or fart into the microphone. That stuff disgusts me, and embarrasses my profession. With that said, I will continue to use other frequencies that are quiet, out of the way, and not disturbing to a HAM operator. I realize they use the HAM radio for many good things like emergencies, broadcasting, etc., and I have the upmost respect for those people. Some day I also wish to be a licensed HAM when the time permits.

If my view is offensive to some that are adiment about not using anything BUT 40 channels, I'm sorry, but if you want to do something constructive with your energy, why not fight to "clean up" or capture the burpers, farters, the noise-box users, the imature grownups that do the same thing I do for a living, only in an infantile manner...triangulate THEM for Christ sake, and fine THEM...

I may have not gotten on many Christmas card lists with this, but it's about time someone spoke out about the real deal, instead of worrying about Bill & George yacking in their Sysco Food trucks on 10 meter radios while driving back to the barn...They're not right either for doing it, but until they start passing gas and belching on 10 meters, let 'em be until the rest of the cesspool gets pumped.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 10 meter radios...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOut
Luckily, I installed it in the parking lot, and when I keyed up, nobody heard me! I tried a few times until it dawned on me, "you idiot, this must be a 10 meter radio"...
I have no clue about radios, what is the difference between a "reg" cb and a 10 meter radio?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

bait bait dont be lured into this discussion
Old 11-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

ok ill bite. its a fact most cb radios over 100 bucks r ten meter radios most r capable of transmitting on the 10 meter band by switching a knob the only people you realy c doing this r companies like yellow, a train of drivers all on the same channel. ever tried to find that station on all 40 channels and not been able to hear it. if you had a fancy radio youd just turn the knob to a b or c so on and so forth. for the most part they dont bother anyone else. but depending on where you are at and what time of the day it is you can hear quite alot weve all heard the spanish mexican voices in ga sc and nc cant seem to squelch them out without turning knob almost all the way .
Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I just wondered what the difference was, and why no one could hear him on a 10 meter radio? just a diff frequency?

Old 11-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750
I just wondered what the difference was, and why no one could hear him on a 10 meter radio? just a diff frequency?
No one could hear him because when you buy a 10 meter radio its meant to be used on 10 meter only. If you want to talk on the regular 40 CB channels it needs to go to a CB shop and have it worked to use the regular 40 channels.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
ok ill bite. its a fact most cb radios over 100 bucks r ten meter radios most r capable of transmitting on the 10 meter band by switching a knob the only people you realy c doing this r companies like yellow, a train of drivers all on the same channel. ever tried to find that station on all 40 channels and not been able to hear it. if you had a fancy radio youd just turn the knob to a b or c so on and so forth. for the most part they dont bother anyone else. but depending on where you are at and what time of the day it is you can hear quite alot weve all heard the spanish mexican voices in ga sc and nc cant seem to squelch them out without turning knob almost all the way .
ok,just because a radio cost over $100 does not mean it's a 10 meter,cobra 29's cost more than $100 along with the galaxy 949 and 959,none of those radios are 10 meter.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:01 AM

FCC IS fining the dealers such as Pilot Travel Centers ($90,000), TA got hit and Love's Travel Stops are just a very few. These things ARE against FCC rules to sell, use on CB, OR on the 10 Meter band without the Amateur Radio license.

RR
Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Senior Board Member